Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E 3.0L 256K MI
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just needing an opinion. I have a 1990 Mercedes 300e. I was thinking of buying a new grille as mine slats are gray and I was wondering if the grille slats were originally supposed to be black. But upon researching (still haven't found the answer though) I see that some people have done the post 94-95 grille update. I was wanting to know what grille do you guys think looks better. The pre facelifted grille or the latter grille? Please take a look at my car and let me know what you guys think looks better. Thanks guys for your inputs!

Jerrad

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
It depends...

Personally I like both but won't it be rather expensive? I thought that you would have to replace the hood in order to use the updated grill. I could be wrong.

In addition I think it would look kind of weird to have the updated grill on a car that is obviously pre update. Not making fun, it is YOUR car and YOUR decision. It all depends on how you feel about the W126 and W140 body styles. The earlier grill is an homage to the W126, the later one the W140.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
I decided against the facelift for several reasons. First, I actually like the more classic look of the big chrome grille on the 124 body. The rest of my decision had to do with cost and doing it right. IMO, updating the front should not be done without doing the back, so then you end up needing the updated hood, headlights, rear trunk lid, and rear trim. Seems like a lot of work and expense (especially when you figure in having the new parts painted and blended) for not that much change. That said, if you have other body work to do and need to paint the whole car anyway, then it wouldn't be as much of a project. Still, I'd rather spend that money on something else personally.

As for the grille itself, they were originally gray, but they do fade, so most likely it's a much lighter gray than it was originally.

I ended up getting one of the S Class style grilles for Christmas last year. They have the black slats and more chrome. It's a Chinese made piece found on eBay, so the quality is not as good as the original, but I like the look. When it falls apart in a couple years I may go ahead and just get another one...not sure. Oh yes, I had to take the dremel and file to the hood ornament opening on it to get the hood ornament to fi since the opening was not quite in the right sport AND the opening was too small. The joys of Chinese parts! But again, I am happy with the end result for now. I also painted my hood release handle with black plastic paint (Krylon, I think?) so that it would match. I sanded it, cleaned it really well, and put about 6 coats of paint on it. Turned out nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided against the facelift for several reasons. First, I actually like the more classic look of the big chrome grille on the 124 body. The rest of my decision had to do with cost and doing it right. IMO, updating the front should not be done without doing the back, so then you end up needing the updated hood, headlights, rear trunk lid, and rear trim. Seems like a lot of work and expense (especially when you figure in having the new parts painted and blended) for not that much change. That said, if you have other body work to do and need to paint the whole car anyway, then it wouldn't be as much of a project. Still, I'd rather spend that money on something else personally.

As for the grille itself, they were originally gray, but they do fade, so most likely it's a much lighter gray than it was originally.

I ended up getting one of the S Class style grilles for Christmas last year. They have the black slats and more chrome. It's a Chinese made piece found on eBay, so the quality is not as good as the original, but I like the look. When it falls apart in a couple years I may go ahead and just get another one...not sure. Oh yes, I had to take the dremel and file to the hood ornament opening on it to get the hood ornament to fi since the opening was not quite in the right sport AND the opening was too small. The joys of Chinese parts! But again, I am happy with the end result for now. I also painted my hood release handle with black plastic paint (Krylon, I think?) so that it would match. I sanded it, cleaned it really well, and put about 6 coats of paint on it. Turned out nice.
Thanks guys. I think I'll stay with the original
Grille. It's makes it more of a classi . The only reason I was really considering the update is because I have to paint the car. After six years the clear coat is peeling and the car is starting to fade. The previous owner of this car got a ripoff paint job for 5,000. I'm just goIng to paint the outside as ye inside is still good. What do you think is the best headlight update from the original. I need more light at night? Shoukd I got clear corners too? I actually think the amber lights look a little classy.

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
I did headlights, wiper panels, wipers, and grille... all MB parts except headlights (Depo).

I bought new turn signals... preferred amber to clear.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did headlights, wiper panels, wipers, and grille... all MB parts except headlights (Depo).

I bought new turn signals... preferred amber to clear.

Was it tuff to do that stuff yourself? Did the euros make that much difference n light output? Your grille looks dark grey to almost black in that picture. Is that how they are supposed to be?

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Was it tuff to do that stuff yourself? Did the euros make that much difference n light output? Your grille looks dark grey to almost black in that picture. Is that how they are supposed to be?

Thank you.

The headlights/panels/wipers were not tough but it took time. Had to get the proper color spray paint.

The grille is genuine MB and the slats are a darkish grey.

The headlights are the proper kind with the correct output... what MB intended when they designed the vehicle.

Even if you don't do the wipers/panels like I did doing the headlights is worth it... makes the car look cleaner, light output is better.

Doing just the panels/wipers probably cost me $600!

Here's my write-up for the headlights/wipers:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1606372-solving-euro-headlight-wiper-issue.html

And you can see the original, 19 year old grille on there!

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
The light output difference between the US lights and the Euros is pretty huge. I run standard wattage bulbs (Phillips Crystal Vision) and I would say the output and focus is at least 3 or 4 times better.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The light output difference between the US lights and the Euros is pretty huge. I run standard wattage bulbs (Phillips Crystal Vision) and I would say the output and focus is at least 3 or 4 times better.
I saw the threads! Nice! Did you have an HID kit on the car? Those lights look a little blueish. Very nice though! I have another question too, I'm going to have the wood refinished in my car from Madera. I'm just considering having it changed from Zebran to burl walnut. My interior is blue. What do you think?

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
I have never installed an HID kit in this car. I do have 6000K LED bulbs in the City Light spot and then 4100 (?) K Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra, which I have been using for a number of years in my SUV (the last set I had lasted 7 years before one burned out). IMO, they are the best standard bulbs I have ever used. Since I have the LED's set up to be on all the time with the engine running, I think they kind of make the Phillips bulbs look more blue than they really are.

I do also have a set of the Phillips Diamond Vision bulbs, which are not sold in the U.S. and are not DOT approved. They are about 5000K, I think. I used them for a few days and decided that they were too blue for my liking.

I'm not sure on the wood. I think it's just a personal taste thing, Honestly, I like both, so it really just comes down to whether or not one looks better than the other with the blue interior. Unfortunately, I don't have any thoughts on that without seeing a blue interior with both types of wood.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have never installed an HID kit in this car. I do have 6000K LED bulbs in the City Light spot and then 4100 (?) K Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra, which I have been using for a number of years in my SUV (the last set I had lasted 7 years before one burned out). IMO, they are the best standard bulbs I have ever used. Since I have the LED's set up to be on all the time with the engine running, I think they kind of make the Phillips bulbs look more blue than they really are.

I do also have a set of the Phillips Diamond Vision bulbs, which are not sold in the U.S. and are not DOT approved. They are about 5000K, I think. I used them for a few days and decided that they were too blue for my liking.

I'm not sure on the wood. I think it's just a personal taste thing, Honestly, I like both, so it really just comes down to whether or not one looks better than the other with the blue interior. Unfortunately, I don't have any thoughts on that without seeing a blue interior with both types of wood.
Wow! They sure looked blue! Awesomeness! Should I go for depo or Bosch euros?

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
Bosch Euros are going to be in the neighborhood of $400 ea. Depo knock offs are going to be about $180 ish a pair. It's your money.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bosch Euros are going to be in the neighborhood of $400 ea. Depo knock offs are going to be about $180 ish a pair. It's your money.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I like the best quality, fit, finish and performance! But I see most people here have the Depos. Are they just as good?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts