Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I haven't posted on here in a LONG time, but my neighbor is getting a new car and he offered me his 2000 or 2001 (I cant remember which year it is) S430 or he was going to trade it in. I know that it was maintained miraculously and it looks great, but I have done a LOT of research and it seems to be either hit or miss in the long term reliability. Should I skip this? I REALLY want a Mercedes of my own (not necessary an s-class), but the reliability of the years that are in my price range concerns me...

P.s. My dad services all of our cars, but would it be a bad idea to service a Mercedes "by yourself"?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I am rambling
Andy

·
Registered
2000 S430
16 Posts
Id say whats the price? I have a 2000 s430 with 200k miles and I have no problems at all. I may be lucky or my S430 may just be unique. Id say get it. Its amazing, as in ride, quality, and if you go for a lexus like I used to have you will regret it. I love my S.

·
Registered
1999 E320
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,
I was basically offered it for free. If I don't get this I'm looking at the old-generation M-class, and the 1996-2002 and 2003-2010 e-class. The chance of something major happening to the s is what worries me.

Andy

·
Registered
2012 S550 Bi-Turbo 4Matic
303 Posts
Well,
I was basically offered it for free. If I don't get this I'm looking at the old-generation M-class, and the 1996-2002 and 2003-2010 e-class. The chance of something major happening to the s is what worries me.

Andy
Free 2000 S class and you are still debating?:confused:

Go for it, and with the money you are NOT paying for the car, buy yourself an after market warranty to put your mind at ease, when something breaks down.

·
Registered
1999 E320
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you really get an aftermarket warranty on a 10 year old car?! I like the sound of this, BUT what are these no start issues that are popping up on this forum?

Andy

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
You probably cannot get an aftermarket warranty at all with the mileage. Keep about $3K back for any major problems (like airmatic strut failure).

Failure to start can be simple (a bad crankshaft position sensor) or expensive (a bad electronic ignition system). There is no way to tell until and unless it happens. It's not as if these problems are occurring all the time - they do happen sometimes, and the forums give you a starting point.

Spend some time with the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky at the top of the forum. There you will find problems and solutions. Remember - these problems do not happen to everyone, and they did not all befall one car. Some of them will likely happen to you - but not all of them.

·
Registered
1999 E320
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice!

I ended up taking it! However I was all confused on the year and model. It is an 2002 S500. I cant complain having this for a first car at all! I have one more question though, (Sorry if its getting redundant...) is there an easy way to add sirius radio to the car? I was thinking about buying one and putting it in the glove box (to hide it) but since there is not AUX-IN port I cannot figure out how to get it to play through the radio.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts