Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1986 300 SD sold
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love 240D with manual trannies. My father had one 25 years ago. So I found a lady who wants to sell her original titled 1982 w/ manual windows( which I like) and sun roof with new tires with about 300kmiles ( the odometer broke),she took copious records at a dealer, rebuilt about 100k ago. but when I went to test drive it was fine starting up, even went up hills with the same characteristic sluggishness of a 240 d, but when I finally took it out on the highway, it felt like it would die, hesitated like it was missing as soon as I went over 50 miles an hour and then I could hardly get it up the hill back to her house. It did not seem to hesitate after the highway, it just had no power ( please don;t advise how they all have no power, this is above and beyond the diesel drawl so characteristic of this model.)

She is asking only $500, well aware of the problem.Everything is ok --the body a little faded, that creme beige color,interior clean, everything is fine except the sluggishness, she had all her filters changed and the dealer service center said the next step would be to change the injectors or injector pump.

I did some research, people have told me that the injection pump usually is a critical fault and that they usually don't run at all. Injectors are easy to change , I know.
But this forum past posting claims it is probably either valve adjustment, chain or air leaks off injector( which I figured they checked) or injector timing, or chain, but only after 100K? I am stifled by the cold running with good power and only power losses on the highway after warm up. After she changed the filters etc it helped a little bit but went right back to the same old sluggishness soon after.
It could be worse of course and I wonder is it worth the risk? A new overhaul could run into the couple of grand, I don't to revive a dead mercedes. I love the car but a dead mercedes is a dead mercedes at any price. Is there any recommendation from anyone, is it worth the slug plunge?

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
It definitely sounds like fuel starvation. If both filters have been changed it could be the tank strainer, or possibly a faulty lift pump. For $500 if the body is in good shape (ie no rust, dents etc) I would think it would be a good investment. Even if you end up buying an entire used engine for it you'd only be up to about $800 total investment. I say go for it. A quick test to see if the tank strainer is the problem is to reverse the fuel and return lines (only works if the tank is more than half full) and see if it still hesitates.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
Or the rubber of gas linkage holder on the firewall is worn out, so that you don't reach full load on the pump even if you press the accelerator pedal. Test it, press the accelerator pedal and see if the pump reached full load (use an assistant or a heavy object).

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
Govert, where's the best place to source a new rubber for the throttle linkage?

Long story, but when I realised that was my issue, yee haa!

Linkage poped out of rubber while driving my newly aquired 280E home from PO on highway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
jsl, Dude99 is right. I love buying these old merc's for $500-$1000 with running issues.

Every time (for me) it's been just basic tunning to get these "dead" mercs purring again.

Adjust valves, clean injectors and normal fuel delivery & timming stuff.

Where all your windows and sunroof closed on the highway (he he he).

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
For $500 if the body is in good shape (ie no rust, dents etc) I would think it would be a good investment. Even if you end up buying an entire used engine for it you'd only be up to about $800 total investment.
dude99 - where could you find an engine for so cheap? I might be on the market for one pretty soon... thinkin bout a 300D retrofit tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts