Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 320 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 320's tranny has been starting to shift gears not that gently, I feel a "though" stroke especially at low gears (no matter if upshifts/downshifts). I tried some kickdown, well... every time the engine speed reaches the speel limiter, the gear shifts up but with a kind of delay, which I have not noticed before.
Moreover, a low frequency noise is coming from the rear (particularly at low speeds).

- is it possible that the differential is about to say goodbye, or maybe I just need a tranny oil change?

- can the rear wheels bearings have a influence on these items?

- can also bad tyres play a role (the current ones are about to be changed, as they are winter tyres and almost old)?

Generally speaking, how can I check myself (while driving, for instance) whether the differential and/or the tranny are damaged?
The car is a '99, with about 102K Km.

I know the best solution is to let the car checked by a dealer instead of bothering you, just to get prepared in advance for the bill... [:0]

Thanks
Max

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
The low frequency whine and associated selection problems could be caused by a partly blocked oil filter in the tranny, first thing to do is get the tranny oil and filter changed. Use ONLY the MB ATF fluid.
I doubt it is the rear axle.

·
Registered
CLK 320 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alphonsohall - 4/6/2005 9:33 PM

The low frequency whine and associated selection problems could be caused by a partly blocked oil filter in the tranny, first thing to do is get the tranny oil and filter changed. Use ONLY the MB ATF fluid.
I doubt it is the rear axle.
Well, I hope it's like you said.
As far as the oil is concerned, do not worry, I use only products suggested by MB. [;)]

·
Registered
CLK 320 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lil' update

Today I have noticed that the "tough stroke" occurs sistematically every time the gear shifts from 3rd to 2nd. Hope to be able to bring the car to the dealer next friday... [V]

·
Registered
CLK 320 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lil' update²

Here's something curios.

Today I was supposed to bring the car to the MB dealer in order to check the tranny, but - a classic here in Switzerland - it was snowing, with an air temperature of about 0 °C (we call this "the late April's winter week").

Well, the tranny is now working smoothly again! [:0]

The first time I started to notice the problems was last week, when the temperature rose to about 20 °C (for the first time this year).

Probably, considering the noise too, the winter tyres I'm currently using play a key role on this tranny behaviour... I must say they are at the limit (this is the third winter I have been using them). So, as soon as the snow will be gone, I'll put new summer tyres and I'll check if everything will be fine again.
Anyway, next service is foreseen within the next 3500 km... I'll surely ask to check the tranny lubrication too.

·
Registered
CLK 320
9 Posts
This sounds fanmiliar - but from second to first - I think - so I'll be interested to hear any developments - thanks Jos

·
Registered
2001 CLK 55
49 Posts
MB RECOMMENDS TRANS SERVICE AT 100,000 MILES
THAT SHOULD BE PERFORMED FISRT
THEN CRY IF THAT DOES NOT WORK.
ANY CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS?

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Forget the 100K tranny flush recomendation. Change it at 60K to be safe. I've read about people changin it at 100K and noticing a huge improvements in shifts! I'm sure a tranny flush and filter change will help.

Also, something to consider, bad MAF sensors have been known to do some strange things to the shifts and performance. They typically go out at about 40-60K miles on our cars.

Lastly, the whine is probably coming from the tires. Tires have been known to produce a lot of noice, depending on flat spots, uneven tread wear from spinning your wheels in teh snow etc...

·
Registered
CLK 320 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I'm back again.

Made the service today, I just got the car back but it was too late to speak with the people who worked in.
Anyway, with the same old tyres, the problem seems to be fixed: no matter if W/S mode, the tranny works smoothly again.
As soon as I'll receive the detailed bill, I'll tell you what they exactly did (the receptionist who gave me the key back could not go that deep in detail). When I left the car this morning, I expressly asked to change the tranny oil and filter in any case, as well as to check the handling (the current suspensions comes with Bilstein shocks and H&R coils)... I suppose they should have done what I asked.

Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I'll go for a tyre change too (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx), so I'll have the opportunity to check whether the noise is coming from the tyres (probably) or from some bearing.

Thank you all for the replies and the support! [;)]

·
Registered
CLK 320 Coupe
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally, I've got the bill.

As str8ridin suppposed, the AMF sensor was the cause of the problem. They have replaced it and the tranny has become smooth again. I noticed (just once) a "kind of uncertainty" from 2nd to 1st at very low speed, I'll check it out. I'd be frustrated at having spent more than 600 CHF (only to replace the AMF) for a bad work (that would be surprising, as the quality of mech works is very high here in Switzerland).

Concerning the noise, it came from the almost exhaust tyres. I've put a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx and I'm very satisfied. Excellent grip (already tested in both wet/dry conditions), negligible noise, super handling's back again! [:)]

Thanks everybody for the support. [;)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts