Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190E 2.6, 330i
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 190E 2.6. Black on black MB-Tex ~ 185K miles. Interior is incredible for its mileage. Mint. Exterior is in very good shape, never been in an accident.

Issues with it:

-Coolant leak
-Eats oil (not a lot)
-Rear brakes are iffy (I think rear calipers need a rebuild)
-Odometer froze at 170K miles
-Needs new antenna mast
-Needs a new washer fluid pump (I think)
-Check engine light is on. Probably needs O2 sensor
-Vibration at speed.
-Speakers are old and act up.
-A/C always works after it gets recharged, but needs to be recharged every year.
-Tranny has typical issues with high miles, but after 5 minutes works great.

That's it. Everything else works. All motors, regulators, etc. K&N filter, new alternator, did a valve seal job on it, just put in new exhaust, brake lines, new tranny fluid, replaced lower balljoints, belt, shocks and struts are only 30K miles old.

What to do? I bought a 2003 330i new and after a couple of years of having both cars, we really need a wagon, not another small sedan. I'm looking to replace the 190E with an E320 wagon, otherwise, I'd probably fix it. I love this car, but have to get rid of it somehow.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
The repair list would easily outpace any sale price (called "getting upside-down"), so unless you want a "keeper" there is no economic reason to repair.

·
Registered
190E 2.6, 330i
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I admit it would be quite a shame to sentence the car to be sold for parts when so much works so well. I just fear it will take a long while before I can get someone to pay more money than I could theoretically get by selling some parts.

What do you think this car is worth as is?

If it were a 1990 330TE, since we need a wagon, I'd probably fix it, but we don't need a 2nd small car, so it should really go.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
The only way to answer the value question is to get a few estimates of what it would cost to bring the car back to normal operation and I would suggest getting a compression test done of the cylinders to rule out a headgasket problem or worse. Then deduct a good portion of that service cost from the going prices in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1984 190e 2.3
96 Posts
not alot of ppl will buy a car with a lot of problems as a whole. if u part it out, most likely u'll get money out of it. seats will get u atleast $300. if u have alloy wheels, i think they're worth around $90 each. then theres the grills, doors, trunk, hood, bumbers, light assemblys.....part it out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts