Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
I am a new benzworlder, and have learned alot from these forums. I proudly own a 1987 560sel with AMG body kit. The car is awesome, runs super strong with 240,000 miles, lube the leather, and wash her every weekend. I am sadly on a tight budget, so things like oz wheels and many more mods are not possible. I also really love the W140, mainly because it was the car Mercedes Benz made to outperform the marveled legend, the W126. So, there is a w140 black/black V12:bowdown: 600sel locally to me. The car is moved very rarely (4 times a year), I can assume mechanical problems being a 600sel, rather than a s600. The cars interior leather is in nice shape, dont't know the miles, but assume about 100,000 miles. The car needs a total cosmetic restoration having dents, dings, the clear coat on the paint is peeled off in many areas, etc. Sadly the car is always parked on a hilly driveway, so the tranny probably needs work to. The rear sunshade and the retractable chrome trunk handle thingy is stuck, and etc. Please remember, I am only 17, but do work partime. I know a very very good mechainic who has been in buisness for decades, and is a family friend, so he is trustworthy. I figure I can sell my 560sel for 5,000 firm, then I would use the money to buy her. I would then have very little to fix her up cosmetically. So what do you guys think, she is alot more modern than the w126, but it really diesn't bother me, not having a facebook:D I do prefer the 600sel over the s600 because of quality, more horse power, and rarity. I know this seems strange, but gas mileage isn't a worry, but do you guys think I should be carefull with this old gal, she needs work, plus she is a V12, so that means more work, but I do like the w140 style over the w126. The w126 is a sensible buisnessman, while the W140 is Scarface;)
Opinions are really appreciated,
Der bomber

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hello friends,
I am a new benzworlder, and have learned alot from these forums. I proudly own a 1987 560sel with AMG body kit. The car is awesome, runs super strong with 240,000 miles, lube the leather, and wash her every weekend. I am sadly on a tight budget, so things like oz wheels and many more mods are not possible. I also really love the W140, mainly because it was the car Mercedes Benz made to outperform the marveled legend, the W126. So, there is a w140 black/black V12:bowdown: 600sel locally to me. The car is moved very rarely (4 times a year), I can assume mechanical problems being a 600sel, rather than a s600. The cars interior leather is in nice shape, dont't know the miles, but assume about 100,000 miles. The car needs a total cosmetic restoration having dents, dings, the clear coat on the paint is peeled off in many areas, etc. Sadly the car is always parked on a hilly driveway, so the tranny probably needs work to. The rear sunshade and the retractable chrome trunk handle thingy is stuck, and etc. Please remember, I am only 17, but do work partime. I know a very very good mechainic who has been in buisness for decades, and is a family friend, so he is trustworthy. I figure I can sell my 560sel for 5,000 firm, then I would use the money to buy her. I would then have very little to fix her up cosmetically. So what do you guys think, she is alot more modern than the w126, but it really diesn't bother me, not having a facebook:D I do prefer the 600sel over the s600 because of quality, more horse power, and rarity. I know this seems strange, but gas mileage isn't a worry, but do you guys think I should be carefull with this old gal, she needs work, plus she is a V12, so that means more work, but I do like the w140 style over the w126. The w126 is a sensible buisnessman, while the W140 is Scarface;)
Der bomber
Hi,
If you are on a very tight budget I really recommend you keep looking.
W140 are not 'dirt' cheap to maintain, V12 are even worse.
Even if you know a good mechanic and know good (cheap) suppliers you can quickly pay $1000s just for a few bad bits.
I paid so far about A$12,000 to bring my 500SEL back to its former glory.
Could have done so for about $4000 if had better mechanical skills, but still you need at least a few grand in reserve for a car in seemingly good condition.
If your heart is really set on it get it to a good Merc Indy in the area who knows W140 for a check up. Money very well spent.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
Hey bro, i can tell you from personal experience these w140s require alot of money to maintain. but since its the older model and you are on a tight budget avoid it(wire harness most likely have to be replaced) if you can get it for very cheap you can hold it till you can afford to do repairs go for it. but if its going to be your daily driver i would say keep your well maintained 560sel.

I spent about $2000 on making my car reasonable. then came other failures came up thanks to bad maintenance like burned and clogged cats. then suspension issues came up recently(accumulators were dying when i bought my w140) and other repairs simply put in exactly one year i spent $3500-4500 on repairs and maintenance(tires, brakes, fluids, rubber mounts, suspension and some interior parts) and mine is only a 500. Cats cost more on the 600.

it took me about 2years to find a good w140, which wasn't really maintained but its okay since good ones are about $10,000 and they will most likely get the same issues within a year or so, then i got my s500 for $4,500 and most likely the full restore will cost me another $10,000 to make it flawless inside and out, which i will do in time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
W140 is not a tight budgets man car, the repairs can SKY ROCKET out of control especially the V12 (with more complex finikies electronics).

I own a S320 and i already spent $350 just basic maintenance have projected to spend $1000+ and that's just on suspension and brakes + 400 buck more on tires +$XXXX amount for other little small issues with free labor (which means repairing it my self) Parts is going to kill your budget and with someone else repairing it makes it EVEN MORE EXPANSIVE, I'm not trying to divert you away from a W140, they are great cars to own and drive when its in former glory, but just giving you a hard heads up on what to expect to own a W140. If you insist on own a W140 Get a S420 or S500.

W140 common problems 1992-1995 <some 1995 WIRE HARNESS BREAKDOWN, this is the most common problem in a W140 for that year because Mercedes-Benz though it was cool to use Eco-friendly wires, turns out it wasn't all that great, 1996 and on all wire harness issues were resolved as they when back to toxic wires "YAY"

PRO CONS on Model

S320 Cheap on maintenance $250-$300, ok on gas, Engine has issues like head gasket problems, engine wire harness problems, Transmission has tendency to have problems. Modest performance YOU will loose to every street race its just made for a nice quiet somewhat fuel efficient cruiser.

S420-S500 is your best bet in reliability it has a good transmission and a SOLID motor Fantastic performance and very smooth but in not so good on gas the MID price range in Maintenance and service expect to spend 400-600 on maintenance

S600 The mother of all W140's butter smooth fast graceful, but the most unreliable of its class, engine is a pain to repair if trouble arises, transmission is same as the V8's rock solid, drinks gas like there's no tomorrow expansive repairs 500-600 on maintenance.

What would i do in your shoes, keep that 560SEL until you graduate from college get a stable carrier and then get your W140's of your dream and learn how to fix your own car, that would help you in cost and gain A VALUABLE knowledge!

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
As the above post, keep your 126 till better times come around.

I have just bought a CL42 and a very late one, all seemed good with only 1 owner and full service history, but I have now spent some £1k on components that needed replacement, and still more to spend. None of the parts replaced showed up on a test drive.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Since you already suspect that there will be work needed on this potential W140 V12 purchase...do the right thing and go get a PPI so you get a better idea of what you are getting yourself into. If your mechanic friend is as good as you say, then he can save you some dollars and do an inspection for you and give you an opinion. You probably could account for another 20% more than what they find in the PPI...and that should give you a good ball park number to work with.

Can you get maintenance records for the car? What have been done in the last 2 or 3 years? Hopefully more than just an oil change every year.

Take some pictures of the car and post it here...hard to make opinions on something that we have not seen.

Also, post some picture of your W126 too, in the W126 forum...and give us a link here...I'll be interested in seeing it too.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Since you only have the 600SEL to consider, I'm not sure why others are offering you advice or comments on other models.

As a 17-year old, I would say unless you plan on making automotive studies a career move, you have no choice but to move on from this opportunity. As nice as the 600's are, you need to have a pot of ready cash to put into the car, especially one that has basically sat for awhile. And if that one car is going to be your daily/only driver, you need to know that going into the transaction.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I don't think someone with a part time job would be able to PROPERLY maintain a W140 600SEL even with a mechanic as a family friend. If your parents or guardians are helping you out with repairs and maintenance then I can see a W140 being a good possibility. Do yourself a favor and find one that is in as close to perfect shape as possible. From what you've described about this particular 600SEL I'd avoid it like the plague...

I don't mean to sound negative but you're going to have a hard time selling a high mileage 560SEL for $5k even if it's in good condition and comes with all service records... Especially in the LA area where the market is saturated with many nice and well maintained W126s...

Anyway how come you haven't posted any pic of your car yet? When I was 17 I was taking SO MANY pics of my W126 and uploading them to the computer on a daily basis... And that was way back in 2005. We're living in 2011 and going onto 2012 man, the age where 12 year olds have blackberries and Iphones. Are you telling us you drive a 560SEL "AMG" and can't upload any pictures of it??? lawl, Seriously bro? just busting your chops man (but yeah upload some pics!)

Meanwhile I recommend reading this thread to give you a better understanding of the W140 from W140 forum members:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1364661-hope-help-newbie-like-me.html

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hello friends,
Der bomber
The W140 sounds like an unmaintained, neglected heap of s**t. i.e. a money pit. Keep your W126.

·
Banned
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To everyone who posted,
I really appreciate the time you have spent educating me on the w140, showing me the pros and cons. As soon as I do get my digi cam, I will definitely uplod pics of this 600sel onto the the w140 forum, most likely right here on this thread.
Take care, and hopefully pics will be up by the weekend.
Der bomber

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The W140 sounds like an unmaintained, neglected heap of s**t. i.e. a money pit. Keep your W126.
+123131313467321!!! dont forget unloved and unenjoyed too! unless you get that thing for next to nothing...which means 1000 bucks or less, dont bother. worst case, it ends up being the pile of crap we all think it is and you part it out and get your money back.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
I've got a '97 model S600. Aspen green/parchment. 150,000 miles. Original books and window sticker. Not completely without issues, but I'm happy to lay it all out. Price would be reasonable, in my opinion. Located in San Diego. PM me.

Brett

·
Registered
269 Posts
hey i am 17 as well and i have a 92' 600SEL and it so far has not gone wrong at all. It even starts in 5 degree weather without a block heater or a garage! =D i bought mine (which has no dents or dings, 114,500 miles at the time, a full service history, and has EVERYTHING except doors, working) for $5,300. so even 3G for one in tough shape doesn't really seem like a very good deal to me. i work part time and i can afford the gas to drive it everyday + full coverage insurance for it. so despite a lot of people saying a w140 is not a good car for us, i think its awesome! =D...... but like a lot of the other comments say, i saved up incase something goes wrong. this is a car (especially the V12) where you will be dumping your ENTIRE paycheck into it. and by entire, i really do mean the entire thing. so if your willing to do that a w140 in good shape should serve you well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts