Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The few months have seen my 560 getting some attention, AMG OZ rims, AERO 1's, front headlight and grille detailing etc. Mainly cosmetic stuff.

One of the items that annoys me are the door handles. They work perfectly but compared to the rest of the car are a bit dull. I'm considering two options:

1. Paint to match 199 - Black Peral
2. Buy brand new items

Could I get some comments/suggestions and reasons +/- for either options please. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
I painted mine with bumper paint - just sanded lightly, cleaned with alcohol, stuck golf tee in between door and handle when handle was pulled out, taped off, sprayed a few times and now they look perfect. Replacing just the handle is a PITA.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I painted mine with bumper paint - just sanded lightly, cleaned with alcohol, stuck golf tee in between door and handle when handle was pulled out, taped off, sprayed a few times and now they look perfect. Replacing just the handle is a PITA.
Great ! Can you post a picture of your car?

·
Banned
472 Posts
I really like your SEL, it looks great! Hopefully in a 3-5 years my 560sel will be full restored. Regarding the door handles, I think leaving them original would be the best route because:
1. They involve very little maintaining only washing and shinny Meguiars protectant. If painted, waxing and polishing involved, scratches easier.:mad:
2. They give a little "pop and flavor" to the car, rather being a monochromatic scheme, which I personally think is boring
Take care,
Der Bomber
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like your SEL, it looks great! Hopefully in a 3-5 years my 560sel will be full restored. Regarding the door handles, I think leaving them original would be the best route because:
1. They involve very little maintaining only washing and shinny Meguiars protectant. If painted, waxing and polishing involved, scratches easier.:mad:
2. They give a little "pop and flavor" to the car, rather being a monochromatic scheme, which I personally think is boring
Take care,
Der Bomber
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment on my car, Der Bomber :)

Good point with regular maintenance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pics of painted handles

This picture makes the paint look lighter than it actually is but doing all 4 took minimal time and effort and they look new - the faded handles looked horrible and tired. Used bumper/trim paint from local parts store and it holds up REALLY well. Just be sure to spend the time to prep and clean them before paint, I used very fine sand paper and Eastwood "Pre" cleaner.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts