Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300se 1999 500sl 2003 lexus ls430
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 500sl that is a really nice car with 92000 miles, perfect in every way but i think i really want with a late model body style, i really like the retractable hard top and the styling but is it really worth what i will have to pay difference as this car is really not my primary driver. also please tell me if one year is better than the other, i feel like i can maybe go up to a 2006 or 2007 and not be in debt which i really don't want to do. any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Registered
SL55
103 Posts
i have a 99 500sl that is a really nice car with 92000 miles, perfect in every way but i think i really want with a late model body style, i really like the retractable hard top and the styling but is it really worth what i will have to pay difference as this car is really not my primary driver. also please tell me if one year is better than the other, i feel like i can maybe go up to a 2006 or 2007 and not be in debt which i really don't want to do. any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.
I had the same car. Drove it to somewhere around 150K before I sold it with no problems, EVER. I have an 04 SL55 and while it's been a blast to drive it definitely doesn't come close to the R129 in terms of reliability. If you can't get a new one, get the newest one you feel comfortable getting. The hardtop is really awesome but considering how many moving parts there are to make it all work, things rattle and start squeaking eventually. In general, I think you will spend a lot more time taking the car to a workshop compared to the R129.

Do I miss the R129? No.
Do I regret getting the SL55? Absolutely not.
Does it cost more to drive? Definitely.
Would I trade the SL55 for another car? Yes, another SL AMG.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts