Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
BRABUS - S500,
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My insurance says that the originaly installed MBZ security system is not good enough and my 2002 S Class could be stolen and never recovered.

They claim that I can save an extra 20% if I install a LoJack system on my vehicle.

Should I shop for one..?

What are the benefits..?

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 E55 AMG
55 Posts
M-Brabus, you don't necessarily have to go with a Lo-Jack system. Unfortunately, MB's TeleAid isn't on the approved Theft-Recovery System listing with my insurance company, but On-Star for instance is. It seems odd to me that Tele-Aid, which is essentially identical to On-Star, isn't considered a theft recovery system. I would recommend asking your insurance rep for their list of approved theft-recovery systems and use that as a shopping list to look around. My sister installed another system called Cyber-Track in her 2004 G55. Similar to a subscription service called Tele-Track in the early 90's. Personally, I didn't want to pay someone to watch my car 24 hours a day, feels kind of Big Brother-ish. So I went with the Lo-Jack with Early Warning. Early warning will send me an email, phone call, and pager message (up to 5 contacts) if my car moves for more than 15 minutes without the authentication tranmitter in the car. What it boils down to is personal preference. If you want to know exactly where your car is and how fast it's travelling, go for a subscription service. This could come in handy if you suspect your significant other is taking your ride to the street races or filling up the tank with cheapy gas, or whatever. Sorry if this was a little bit lengthy, so many bits and pieces that I had to include. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
If I have a nice car like that, LoJack is the very first system I would install.

I am in Phoenix, Arizona and it is very close to Mexico (approximately 2 ½ ~ 3 hours straight down to the border).

When I took the defensive driving class, an instructor said it takes at least two hours from an owner of vehicle reports stolen car to police officers actually start looking for it.
The reason behind it is that an owner has to go through several steps of paper works!!! (such as verifying title, VIN, etc.)

Within two hours, car thefts can easily access to the border. Once the car crosses the border, it is gone.

I think you do not have to worry about car will be flown to Mexico. However, as I said earlier I would get LoJack ASAP.

Nice rims on black S 500 anyway!

·
Registered
BRABUS - S500,
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help...

I was told by the local benz dealer that Tele-Aid system, which comes on all S Class W220 Benz Vehicles, should recover the vehicle in any place on earth, as long is its driving. The only way they can track the vehicle is when the egnition is on.

I've asked, "what happens when the battery gets disconnected..? or vehicle is parked with engine off..?" and they he had no idea..?

Is that true?

m-brabus

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts