Hey everyone,

How much would you pay for this one ?

- 450 engine and tranny running ok.
- body and paint really good.
- all electrics work.
- A/C doesnt work

Asking price 16K US dollars.

Couple of questions:

Why would you prefer one of this 107 over a W126 SEC coupe. Besides the looks of course. I love both and I actually want to get one of each. Just gotta decide which one to buy first since there will be a hole in my pocket after getting either one.

BTW, and sorry for my ignorance but did this 450 engines came with electronic injection in 1980 ?

Thanks all
D.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,314 Posts
Don't know what they cost there. AC not working is a couple of thousand to fix if you don't DIY. They were not electronic injection they were CIS K Jet.

Nice looking SLC from the pictures.

·
Registered
Still looking for my MBs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey rowdie,

It does look nice, doesnt it ?. Gotta go see it Saturday.

Nevermind what they cost here. How much would you pay for it there ?

Ive heard parts for this mechanical injections are really hard to find, at least here, is that so ?

Which models started carrying electronic injection units ?

Thanks a lot
D.

Don't know what they cost there. AC not working is a couple of thousand to fix if you don't DIY. They were not electronic injection they were CIS K Jet.

Nice looking SLC from the pictures.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,314 Posts
The electronic injection was '71-'75.
Value here? 5-8K. Without AC working, toward the lower end. That is assuming there is no rust and the timing chain guides had been replaced. Lots of other things to check.

The ACCII is a notoriously bad system.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
For 16k I'd expect a pristine low mileage 560sl with all the trimmings. This is really a depressed market for mercedes both sl and slc's. I've actually noticed prices of slc's holding while the price of sl's slide. I just got beat out on a 1983 280sl with 87k miles for 1000$, it had a gummed up fuel system. I really wish I had gotten it but am lucky I didn't in a way as the garage door just sprung a spring and I have to repair it.

For the price of 1 EFI injectors you can change all the injectors and seals in a k-jet car. CIS injectors shouldn't be too hard to find, wonder if they are the same part from a VW with cis?

·
Registered
Still looking for my MBs
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Daryn,

May I ask you why your preference for 6 cilinders ?

For 16k I'd expect a pristine low mileage 560sl with all the trimmings. This is really a depressed market for mercedes both sl and slc's. I've actually noticed prices of slc's holding while the price of sl's slide. I just got beat out on a 1983 280sl with 87k miles for 1000$, it had a gummed up fuel system. I really wish I had gotten it but am lucky I didn't in a way as the garage door just sprung a spring and I have to repair it.

For the price of 1 EFI injectors you can change all the injectors and seals in a k-jet car. CIS injectors shouldn't be too hard to find, wonder if they are the same part from a VW with cis?

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Lighter engine, better mileage, 4speed auto, need I say more. I'm not much of a V8 man and the US spec 450 doesn't make much more power than my 6. My car has manual heat/air and other options US cars didn't have.

I've never driven a mercedes V8 but the 6 will get you up to 100mph so unless you really want to fly what is the purpose of the V8?

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
I've never driven a mercedes V8 but the 6 will get you up to 100mph so unless you really want to fly what is the purpose of the V8?
Since you haven't driven one, I am not surprised in your question.

Nothing wrong with a 6... especially the dohc 2.8, but there is no substitute for silky-smooth torque (279 lbft for the 560) of the V8, and the 4 speed auto attached is fine, as autos go.

Afterall, its not a "Sports Car"... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts