Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S420; 1995 S500
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1998 S 420 with 82500 miles on it. Right now the engine feels very smooth except that the transmission seems to be very clunky when switching from reverse to drive -- at times there is a slight thud when you put the car in gear (even when not on a hill), also there is a slight kick at times when you reapply pressure on the accelerator. Other than that the car is in absolutely mint condition.

Questions: What could be wrong with the tranny?

Should I try to get an extended warranty?
And if so what kind/brand should I get?

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Yes Yes Yes -
Price out a remanufactured transmission (I'm not saying that you need one) and you'll see that the extended warrantee makes sense on these cars.

MB Says your car a a lifetime transmission fluid fill- That is TOTAL BULL! You need to have your fluid and filter changed ASAP. That should help.
Paul

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
At your mileage, it may not be worth it. Many warranties go to just 100,000 miles

You're pretty close to that already. I would consider just putting the amount that you would pay in premiums for the warranty in the bank every month and dip into it for repairs when necessary (i.e. self-insure).

If you do go warranty shopping, read the policies very carefully, and make sure you know what is and isn't covered. Many things aren't covered that you might expect to be.

Good luck. I hope your transmission issues aren't that big a deal.

Brett

1 - 3 of 3 Posts