Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<br>
<br>
I know this topic has been beaten to death of several occasions, but please bear with me here --I'm a newbie.<br>
<br>
My last two cars have been BMW's (a 96 318i, and a 2000 323i). I've seriously been fed up with the service I get at the dealerships, and the constant problems that seem to occur!<br>
<br>
How is the service with MB? Are there many problems with your C's? Would you buy a benz again?<br>
<br>
Thanks for your input, and please, no flamers! Thanks :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I used to own more than 6 cars (which is<br> pretty high number as for my age :) three<br> of them were non-mb and now i'm owner of<br> my third MB (in series: 260E, C280 and now<br> C320) and have no regrets. Of course, Mercedes<br> isn't totally flawless car. If you want a car<br> that simply doesn't fail, there's no such thing.<br> I had some issues with my new C, but they were<br> rather details (trunk cargo cover was stuck - <br> they replaced it uner warranty. In fact it<br> was discovered during pre-inspection and when<br> i've received my new car, parts were already<br> ordered. Next, rubber mounts of front stabilizer<br> were squeaking (lubricated them). And last but<br> not least, sunroof stick - again, they<br> 'repaired' it in 3 minutes, by adding some<br> grease to the slide rails. No other problems.<br> Roof trim at the rear was noisy on uneven roads,<br> but later i discovered that they messed it up<br> during installation of security systems. I've<br> repaired it by myself by just adding two missing<br> clips :) traction and steering is tight and<br> giving good feel od the road (of course, it is<br> not as tight as in BMW, but there is a great<br> improvement, comparing to previous models).<br> Steering is a bit stiff to turn and i used to<br> complain on that, but after some time you'll find<br> that actually a feature, not bug.<br> Other list members mentioned problems like<br> seat making noises, but there is a known<br> workaround for this (haven't experienced that<br> however).<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a Merc instead of a Bimmer

I just bought a new E-Class Kompressor over a BMW 5-Series - which I had pondered over for quite some time. Prior to this, owned a VW Vento (Jetta in the USofA) for 8 years.<br> <br> I chose the Merc because of the following reasons (not in any order of priority):<br> <br> - After a few test drives, I feel that the Speedtronic auto is a much better/intuitive design than the Steptronic, or even VW/Porche's Tiptronic.<br> <br> - High front-end torque of the Merc's blown engine is sheer fun to drive; compared to the BMW's engine which needs to be revved hard, as otherwise, the car feels rather lethargic at low rpms.<br> <br> - Overall solidity of the Merc chassis and doors can actually be felt. Its not a perception.<br> The BMW is not very far off, but still feel a tad 'softer'.<br> <br> - BMW problems (from rattles, to over-assisted power steering, to noisy front suspensions / drive train) are quite common place and are continuously highlighted by owners in forum sites all over the world.<br> <br> - Most of all, the BMW pricing / markups are generally higher in most countries, and especially where I come from.<br> <br> - More workshops are able to (and have the engineering capability) to repair Merc cars/engines than BMW. This may be due to fact that BMW engine designs are more 'high-tech' and thus complicated.<br> <br> - The Merc's body shape is a classic - although over the recent years, it has taken on a somewhat more 'rounded' look - but the almost upright front grille and 3-point star has been and still is a turn-of-the-century icon. You can recognize a Merc from afar. The BMWs however, especially in their latest guise, are a bit difficult to tell from afar and could be mistaken for a Japanese car. There is nothing special in the BMW car's shape / feature when viewed from a distance.<br> <br> - Felt that the Merc's brakes were much more powerful than the BMW's (E-Class vs 5 Series). Not sure if this applies to C-Class vs 3 Series.<br> <br> - Safe 'cocooned' feeling when driving the Merc at high speeds. The BMW sure feels stable too, but just doesn't have the X-factor.<br> <br> - The only thing that the BMW wins hands down is the more accurate steering and better road holding and handling around bends. But I was ready to sacrifice that for a much better car overall.<br> <br> I had also compared the Merc against the VW Passat and Volvo S60. Same argument holds.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No regret!

I own my C240 for 8 months now with 19,200km or 12,000 miles. This is a well rounded car. It is not particularly as quiet as I like, but it is quieter than most cars. Wind noise is almost absent at highway speed. Also, it's highway stability is excellent.<br> <br> The only issue that I have with my car is with the interior trim. I have a constant clicking noise. Also, the rear parcel shelf tend to rattle. The dealer has just placed an order for a new shelf under warranty and it is on it way from Germany. And the the rear door seals tend to squeak under warm weather condition.<br> <br> Other than those complains, I have am happy with the car. I intend to use the car up tp 250,000km before trading it in for another Benz. The next Benz that I will be getting would probably be an E-Class for better ride comfort as well as better rear legroom.<br> <br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I got a Merc instead of a Bimmer

you mentioned 3series vs new C brakes.<br> Car & driver tested them and they gave<br> them better note than Porsche carrera brakes.<br> Under 35 meters on hot brakes! My feelings<br> are also totally positive. Those things<br> on new c are extremely resitant to<br> overheating and efficient.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I switched after 10 BMW's...

...to a new C320. NO regrets!<br> <br> If it's any help, just after buying, I did a comparative review; you can find it on this forum or the other one (search for 'michael w' maybe).<br> <br> If you cannot find it I will summarise again. Let me know.<br> <br> Michael<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clicking noise

May in fact well be your seat. I have the same. Needs lubrication (having this done next week). Hold your seat and see if you can FEEL it inthe seat when you hear a click.<br> <br> There's been a few little things like this: noisy seat, squeeky brakes, steering wheel not quite straight, wind noise at driver door rear, etc. Nothing serious, and all easily sorted out (under warranty). So whatever it is, have them fix it!<br> <br> Michael<br> <br> <br>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts