Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a 1973 450SL w/40,000 miles.
What problems should I look for in this model?
What price range is reasonable for this year in excellent condition?

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
Welcome.
That is really low mileage for a "73". Well the history should be your start. Was the car garaged most of the time. Is there rust? Has the car gone through all recalls? Is it in good working condition?

About the price with that mileage could range up some. If all is well, a real cream puff I'd say 15k as a high.

Post pics (It's a requirement at BW :D)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No rust issues. Our mechanic did not see any problems and said parts are available if needed. It has been garaged and handled like a baby by current owner (super neat) and last. With just 40,000 miles it is literally driven about two miles to church in good weather only.
Do you know of any concerns with the 1973 models?
Thanks

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
NO. It's a great year "no emission". No cat. conv. But keep an eye on the timing chain and that's it I think. What is the asking price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed you guys are in Virginia and New York. We are lucky enough to be in central North Carolina so snow is rare which helps prevent rust due to road salt.

The only bad part of having a V8 is the gas mileage. Like the guy said "If you have to ask...." Oh, well. If I get her, I'm going to drive and enjoy!
I'll post pics when we get her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the big "NO". The timing chain was the same thing we heard about our Lexus. That's certainly no big thing. I don't want to jinz the deal so I'll pass on the price for now. I'll just say it seems very reasonable for the this car in its condition.
Good night for now.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just for reference, last year I paid $13,500 for a 73 450SL with 70.000 miles. No rust, perfect interior, flawless paint and a great running vehicle. I got it in AZ and drove it 1000 miles to get it home without a problem.

Enjoy!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
^ Ya got in there ahead of me, Norm. Susan, welcome to the board. Here's a link to Norman's purchase question original thread.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1312351-considering-buying-73-450sl-comments-please.html

If you read it, and read some of his other threads, you may get an idea of what can crop up at any given time with a thirty plus year old car. I'm not saying Norm's has been a problem, in fact I think his experience has been quite the opposite. But components will fail, and unless you can get a comprehensive service history, you just don't know. And a pre purchase inspection by a facility not of the sellor's choice is an absolute must. If the sellor balks at allowing an inspection, run away.

Dave.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks Dave! I didn't even think to link to my own post.

Susan, please feel free to ask any questions you have, we are a very friendly bunch. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts