Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello BenzWorld! Long time lurker, short time subscriber.
I've been looking the more than 6 monthsfor the "right" clk. In my country LPG is almost the first thing you'r looking put in your petrol car and if not that is considered in the price.
So, after a lot of looking around I went to look at a very poorly specced automatic 163hp 2001 kompressor. Textile interior, no heated seats.
The issues I saw were :
both side center dash displays are not working - googled it , seems like replacing the ribbon cable is an easy fix for that.
10 cm(4 inch) deep scratch on the hood,
1 deep dent on the trunk lid(backed in to a parking post I gues) about the diameter of a tennis ball
1 not working sensor on the parctronic system
electric folding mirrors - driver side motor works, but probably the gears are worn and it doesn't move.
There's a small bubbling of the paint on the driver side fron fender. That's the only piece of rust I could find on the car.

The supposedly good things are:
The "guru" guy I went with to check the car said - engine and transmission are in good condition, small noise on the front driver side of the car. Also front shocks might need replacement. Car had a recent oil change, new brake pads.
Driven by a woman so supposedly hasn't been thrashed hard. Car was 160 000km(100 000miles) when they took it from Germany and now it sits at 130 000 miles. I'm suspicious of that cuz at the end of the day its an 18 year old car with only that much miles/km done.

Price is what I'd pay for it if it had an LPG system aswell.

My other option is to go on a 500 mile journey to look at 2 other potential cars that more fit the bill.

Should I buy it or am I insane for thinking it?

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,821 Posts
Drive the 500 miles for the better car. As a former W208 driver, trust me on this. As a matter of fact, trust me on THIS; buy a W124. The best you can find. 10x's the build quality of a W208. It's what I did.

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
316 Posts
Buy the best one you can find, it will cost less in the end.

Repair bills will mount up quickly and you'll spend more than the difference in making a bad car good, than buying a good car in the first place.

Then keep on top of the maintenance, prevention being much better than cure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts