Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML320
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a chance to buy a bank repo 2003 ML 320 for $7000. I am looking for any advice or help I can get.

I don't get to have it inspected or checked out at all. I got to drive it and it drove, but made noise when turning the wheel to each side. Also the coolant light is on. The exterior is in almost perfect condition, with the exception of a small dent on the back door edge. Interior is very clean and everything seems to be in working order. I did a carfax and the history looks good, its had 2 owners, no accidents or flood damage. I have never had a mercedes before, but always wanted one, but I'm not sure this is the one for me. Right now, I don't have the money right now to buy this vehicle to repair it if it has big problems.

:confused:
My questions are...
What are the general maitenance costs for this vehicle, like oil changes, etc?

Whats the average MPG?

Should I be worried about the problems that I addressed earlier? Could they be signs of a big problem? What could costs be to repair problems it may have?

If I did buy it and it has problems, what do you think it would be worth to sell it?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated also.

Thank you so much!!

Jennifer

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,202 Posts
2003 is W163 body. Go to the section for more reviews there.
ML are generally hit and miss in reliability. While our ML320 running 11 th year generated $129 in replaced MAF repairs, other spend big thousands every year.
The car might be a great deal, but also a financial disaster for person not familiar with it.
Good luck

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,676 Posts
I am not sure what the wheel noise is but it could be something as simple of not having enough power steering fluid. I have had a couple of w163's and both have been excellent vehicles. They are really hit or miss. Do you intend to have the services done at the dealership, indy, or yourself? You can call the dealership for prices on A services and B services. I do my own oil changes and it runs me about $70 or so.

I would still have a pre-purchase inspection done before buying this ML320.

As to gas mileage: I would say about 17 mpg everyday driving. On our recent trip to Virginia, we got 22 or 23 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
w204 (C350ELE)
1,262 Posts
Take a Careful View

The light to service cooling system would tell me I'd want to check everything in the car because might have maintenance issues that lead to a few (may even be quite a few) bucks and a lot of TLC labor. If you have to depend from a shop to do the work, choose the mechanic before hand and have him thoroughly inspect the vehicle. If they have written records of maintenance and repairs, read them carefully with your mechanic.

May the customer beware! Take care and good luck, JV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts