Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1994 C280 woes

I might be buying a '94 c280. It has a reconstucted title, 111k miles, damage was done and repaired at about 60k miles by dealership. Heres whats up: occational engine light, slightly rough idle in park, BUT when in gear (AT) it gets very rough. Once you get going though, vibration goes away. Shifts great. I think it might be an injector. I looked at the spark plugs, they seem ok. Or could it be the timing? If so I've never done timing on a benz (I guess I need a manual). Some other things... should I be concerned with some oil in the intake near the MAF and air filter? I need some help on what all this means. And should I buy it???? They are asking $3000 USD and my location is Oregon (if that matters).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Idling can be one of many things, the oil in the intake is 100% normal though... As long as its not running out the air cleaner. but some oil especially in the tube that runs over the tappet cover from the filter and mass air flow sensor into the intake manifold is normal as this is where the engine breather connections are

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Have a pre-purchase inspection done either at Mercedes-Benz of Wilsonville or at MBI Motors at 13th and Hawthorne in Portland... I actually prefer MBI over the dealer... but Wilsonville is probably closer to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idling can be one of many things, the oil in the intake is 100% normal though... As long as its not running out the air cleaner. but some oil especially in the tube that runs over the tappet cover from the filter and mass air flow sensor into the intake manifold is normal as this is where the engine breather connections are
My last car was an '85 Volvo and had a faulty injector. The symtoms were the same. When your at a stop in drive it feels like a massive earthquake. Once you are in motion the vibration goes away. I am looking at the car Thursday afternoon again before I decide to buy or not. I will post what I find out (if anyone carres).

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Coil plug ends (ten bucks each) cause those symptoms on my c280.

Get it on a lift and have a pro take a look at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coil plug ends (ten bucks each) cause those symptoms on my c280.

Get it on a lift and have a pro take a look at it.
Coil plug ends??? Im not familiar with these. Are they the three blocks on three of the plug cables? Well anyway, I took a long screw driver and placed it on top of one injector at a time with my ear placed on the handle while it was running to hear the ticking of the injectors. Starting from the front, the 3rd one in I didnt hear any ticking. Would the coil cause that? I can get one new for $119 at a discount import store. What say you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the coil!

Amazing!! I swaped two coils then started, and what do you know, the problem cylinder was now a different location. It was one of the coils! price: $57. Fast and easy fix. I paid only $2000 for the car in mint condition. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Amazing!! I swaped two coils then started, and what do you know, the problem cylinder was now a different location. It was one of the coils! price: $57. Fast and easy fix. I paid only $2000 for the car in mint condition. Thanks for the info.

Awesome!

There are some great deals out there now for these cars. I'm casually looking for one for my wife right now.

Once I had a snapping sound on the 6th cylinder and it turned out that the spark plug was a little loose. Not sure how that happened, but I tightened it down and the snapping sound went away.

The coil plug ends go bad and cause rough idle and sputtering type of behavior. I would always just buy the entire set (coil ends and wires) when you replace the spark plug wires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts