Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please take the time to read this, i will be greatful to all answers.

Hello, i've finally arrived to calfiornia, havent been here since 2006. my brother owns a mechanic shop in Lake Forest CA, and im working for him at the momen (and forever hopefully), i was into 4 banger turbocharged japanese, and still am into it. just dont have the cashola to persue it. but, if i want to have a daily driver, it better turn heads, or my ego will suffer :p

the first couple weeks i had to drive a '94 Honda Civic DX.... it had 320,000 miles on it and it still ran like new... it was a 1.5, but the biggest joy for me that it was a manual... other than that, it was JUNK.

before coming here he told me he had a 560SL layin' in the shop's parking lot and he didnt have time to fix it, drive it or sell it, he currently drive a 2006 CL500.

so, the car was sitting down in the same place for the last... 3 years, but every once in a while a mechanic would crank it up and let it run for 10-15 minutes.

few months back, my brother rebuilt the engine's top end completely, installed a new aftermarket soft top, new tires and thats about it.

when i first jumped in the car, it was idling rough and was bogging down everytime it accelerate from a complete stop. as if it was running too rich, or not enough fuel supply/fuel distributor issue etc...

once it was airbourne (20+mph) it would not bog down anymore, but anytime at a complete stop, it would take 10 seconds to get it to launch...

i didnt know anything about these cars and our garage (7 bay's including smog bay) was already swamped with customer's cars. so i sent it to Maurice at Costa Mesa, very decent guy who have been working on mercedes's for the past 40 years.... he is 50 something now.

The mechanic that worked on it at maurice's told me it was running too rich because the O2 sensor plug was messed up (he might be lying because maurice is known to conceal the way he fixes things or the diagnostics outcome... secrets of the trade :rolleyes:)

the fix costed me $200 in labor, and the shifter was very stiff (thats what she said) because of accumilated rust, gunk and debris over he years. he also charged me $70 in labor for that, but now the shifter is smooth as butter.

other things were the emergency flashers button that he replaced.

in total the bill was $470, which my brother gladly paid for. and the next day i had to register it at the DMV, which costed $610 (penalties etc..) which my brother also paid.

now, my question is. how much is this car worth? the car now runs fine, except that after i filled it with fresh gas yesturday (91 octaine) it started bogging down again, not as much as before... as it was running on half a tank of gas which god knows from which era that was filled up...lol

my brother mentioned the price of $4500-$5000.. so what do you guys think?

the only thing is that it needs a new stereo system, speakers, center console wood (severely cracked) and some TLC. in the future i want to get AMG rims, euro headlights and bumpers.

oh yes, today i tried to start it in the morning and the battery was out, i used a recharging machine and started it again and drove it for 15 minutes. the battery was charged. after 3-4 hours, i tried cranking it again, and the battery was out.then i heard a tick-tock-tick-tock from the glove compartment, i took it out, and it was the alarm module draining the battery and clicking EVEN when the key was out of the ignition. i took it out for the moment, i dont think id need an alarm system, would i? i checked online and a new module is $348!! not worth it!

also, it was raining cats and dogs in california the past 2 weeks and the soft top was leaking from the seal where it meets the front windshield from the top (where the 2 pins are), but for now i tucked it away and installed the hardtop it, still dont know if it would leak, but i think not.

so please help me assess this, i want this as a daily driver. i will also be going to saddleback college and would love to driver this roadster daily, here is the roundup of the work done on it:

Complete top end rebuild
New Tires
New Soft Top
The fixes at Maurice's
The DMV registeration (hey its money too)

the car is great and i love it, all people stop and stare and ask me about it... and i dont have to pay him untill i start makin' good money...

here goes the pics:

so please give me ur insight on this one!!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
1986 560SL
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol... oh yes... MERRY 107 CHRISTMAS EVERYONE :D

·
Registered
1974 450sl 1994 bmw 530i 1995 f150 2007 FJCruiser trd se
41 Posts
The registration on my '74 is $104 for 2011. I thought that was way over priced. :(

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Looks good, sounds like you are capable of maintaining it.

It is a nice colour combo, go for it!

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,692 Posts
Sound like a good deal. The alarm module is probably not the problem. Probably a door or trunk lock sensor. It also sounds like you alarm was only 1/2 disconnected because the lights and horn did not go off.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The registration on my '74 is $104 for 2011. I thought that was way over priced. :(
well mine has been unregistered for at least the past 3 years... so thats why it was 600.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys - it is a nice car and i made up my mind about adopting it. im driving it daily and i get compliments about it at least 2 times a day!!!! im going to restore it to original condition slowly. but for now im going to install a stereo system in it, and then AMG rims and euro headlights/bumpers. next year i will repaint the body and chrome.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,594 Posts
Suspension first. Then accessories.
There is a link here somewhere about converting to standard spec. bumpers. Not difficult but not simple either.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Suspension first. Then accessories.
There is a link here somewhere about converting to standard spec. bumpers. Not difficult but not simple either.
no doubt about the "fundamentals first, then luxuries", but the car's suspension is pretty smooth (i think), how would i know if it needs any new parts? i can always lift if up at the shop.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,594 Posts
Flex discs, steering coupler then the usual shocks, tie rods, ball joints etc.
Rubber subframe mounts.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thanks rowdie, ill be sure to check those out at the shop.

here are a few pics with the hardtop on:

my brothers CL500 in the front... if it wasnt for that red explorer the pic would of been perfect!! can someone photoshop it out? lol

·
Registered
1984 Lorinser 280SL Euro
20 Posts
What a beautiful car! Brings tears to my eyes these cars are truely beautiful.. one of a kind, never to be repeated I think.. kind of like the old muscle cars remember the 1969 firebirds.. well this is the same car in my mind.. one of a kind

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,933 Posts
Black makes any car classy.
But it suit no other cars like it suits mercedes, specially older models

·
Registered
1984 500sl
655 Posts
That's a pretty nice Christmas present ! My car sat for 4 years before i took it on as a project. You may have a cloged fuel filter. Or, you may have some residual varnish in the fuel distributor from old gasoline. I'd spray some Seafoam in the throttle body and run it. They have a new product with a long thin hose that works well.. If that doesn't work, replace the fuel filter. As for the dash;
You can refinish it. I did mine over two weekends. I used a heavy duty varnish remover. let it dry overnight.
Then, minwax Cherry stain and few coats of Helmsman poly.
Follow the instructions on the can for drying time.
Sand it between coats with 800 grit paper.
When the poly is dry. wait 48 hours. wet sand with 2000 grit.
Then Buff it with an orbital buffer and some fine liquid compound.
Just be careful with the sandpaper on the exposed wood. The burl is only about 1/8 inch thick.
I don't have a picture of the before but, here's the after.
Good Luck with the car..

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 560SL
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks tiger! it sure is an exceptional Mercedes!

jwatkin, thanks for the tip! actually the outer crust (formica) that is chipped.... im thinking of chipping the rest of the stuff and get a burl wood formica that sticks right on the real wood of the console.... get what i mean?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,043 Posts
Also, leaks that seem to come from the top of the windshield may actually be coming from around the windshield. It is not uncommon for the sealant to have deteriorated; mine was, across the entire bottom and 2/3 of the way up each side. The result was water on the feet on both sides, and some soaked connectors under the dash that caused problems until they dried out.

It's easy to check; push out a bit along the bottom of the windshield, in front of the defroster vents, from inside. If it moves, the seal is shot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts