Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice... I think that I have a good deal on a very clean (no accidents, no problems, no issues) 2003 E55 AMG. The car only has 37k miles and is loaded with all options. Current owner wants $25,000 for the car. I called MB and a Fidelity Warranty is $7200 for 5 years or 60k (on top of the 37k miles, meaning 97k miles). I do know that you DONT buy these cars without a warranty.

So, my question is... Is this a good deal (i.e. $25k for a 2003 E55 AMG in mint condition with 37k miles). Please let me know what you think since I need to commit asap.

·
Registered
'03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
710 Posts
Good morning PM,

This question has been posed before. I had asked two MB service writers and a dealer parts manager (each from a different dealer) about the '03 E55 when I was in the market. Both advised against the '03.

Regarding the warranty, you should be able to negotiate a better one. Go for 100k miles and about $5000 if possible. Make sure it covers EVERYTHING.

Do a search on this forum about buying tips.

IMHO, even with the low miles, unless it has some special options (and there weren't many) I would pass and look for an '06.

Just my $0.02.

Have a great holiday.

Mike K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, you think I should run from the deal? Even if it has a 100k bumper to bumper warranty??

The car really is MINT!

??

·
Registered
113 Posts
IMHO, for that price, hold out for 2005-2006...more reliable, some interior improvements, and it will also be worth more when you do sell it.
P.s. Was Fidelity just a dial-in # or thru a car dealer?
PL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMHO, for that price, hold out for 2005-2006...more reliable, some interior improvements, and it will also be worth more when you do sell it.
P.s. Was Fidelity just a dial-in # or thru a car dealer?
PL
I called into MB and they quoted me that price for the 5/60 warranty. Do you think that I can beat them down on price?

So, if I were to proceed with this car and it was in "like new" condition, what do you think a fair price is? But, I'm starting to get the thought that I should stay away from a 2003 no matter how good of a deal i get...?

·
Registered
2004 S55 AMG, 2006 ML350, 2008 GL450
5 Posts
I called into MB and they quoted me that price for the 5/60 warranty. Do you think that I can beat them down on price?

So, if I were to proceed with this car and it was in "like new" condition, what do you think a fair price is? But, I'm starting to get the thought that I should stay away from a 2003 no matter how good of a deal i get...?
Warranties are always negotiable, depending on the company there is 100 to 300 percent markup, which is one reason the F&I departments at dealerships make so much money. Also - i agree by 2006 most bugs were gone in the car, you may pay a few grand more up front, but it will be in the shop less - even with the warranty.

·
Registered
113 Posts
others can chime in, but from my research, MB dealers have 10-15% profit margins on warranties - not 100-300% mark-up. in other words, on a $4k warranty, they're making $400-600 dollars.
Patrick

·
Registered
5 Posts
You may be correct in your assumption based upon a MB warranty, but based upon the dealer they may be selling one of many aftermarket warranties, these do have that type of built in markup and are very negotiable. You must make sure that you read the fine print and have all areas covered. Just because they advertise as bumper to bumper the fine print may exclude certain areas based upon a pre-write inspection of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before I run, I'm throwing it out there one more time. Here is a picture of the vehicle. Is a 2003 really THAT bad in regards to reliability? Or, what do you think a good price would be for this car? $21k? $23k???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before I run, I'm throwing it out there one more time. Here is a picture of the vehicle. Is a 2003 really THAT bad in regards to reliability? Or, what do you think a good price would be for this car? $21k? $23k???

Its all about your dollars and your choices. overall they all will have problems. I purchased an extended warranty on my 04 S55 and ended up with the same dollars out in service that I paid. With that being said, if the car fits your needs, has the right options, right colors, etc - buy it. I would definately negotiate and try to get the price down, that's just me. If you can get your 03 for 21-22 vs o6 at 28-30, that gives you a lot of repair dollars. Bottom line is its your choice, but the cars are a lot of fun, nothing like hitting the accelerator and burning some gas!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have owned two E55s both 2003 and i still own one both have been amazing cars without any serious problems except an alternator and i replaced the parts to make it work for $60 dollars. Just my opinion buy the car you like at the price you like there all the same except the mid 05 and 06s with the SAT and newer console. I put the Euro Navi in my E55 with the DVD in motion setup so that made it like any other 04-05.
Justin

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,339 Posts
does it have supercharge, if so , yes, if no, then no

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,339 Posts
i cant remember what yr but some e55 came without supercharger before it was introduced

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
i cant remember what yr but some e55 came without supercharger before it was introduced
afaik, all W211 E55s came with the M113 ML55 motor with a Lysholm style supercharger manufactured by IHI. The previous W210 (50, 55, 60) is a different issue.

This is the W211 E55 and E63 forum, and that's why I wondered what you meant with your post. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you purchase or pursue another?

Need advice... I think that I have a good deal on a very clean (no accidents, no problems, no issues) 2003 E55 AMG. The car only has 37k miles and is loaded with all options. Current owner wants $25,000 for the car. I called MB and a Fidelity Warranty is $7200 for 5 years or 60k (on top of the 37k miles, meaning 97k miles). I do know that you DONT buy these cars without a warranty.

So, my question is... Is this a good deal (i.e. $25k for a 2003 E55 AMG in mint condition with 37k miles). Please let me know what you think since I need to commit asap.
Well........just curious did you end up purchasing the vehicle or pursuing another?

·
Registered
1 Posts
E55

I actually ended up buying this E55 in question. I got the guy to lower price from $23.5K down to $22k. I bought it with almost 37k miles. Anyways I put the warranty mentioned in this forum Fidelity for an extra 3400 for 3 yr 36,000 and it was best investment ever. Since Feb 2011 I have replaced the tranny, front left air strut, radiator and lower ball joints all under warranty. I spent 200, 100 each claim on deductible, warranty covered almost $12k!!!! Only thing warranty didnt cover is rear shocks!!! Apparently car has both shocks in rear as well as airmatic mattreses. The mats raise car up and down but shocks take bumps. I still havent replaced shocks cuz i think mercedes dealer tends to reccomend random shit sometimes car rides fine as is! Anyways to anyone wondering 03-06 is same shit guys engine wise. For those who believe "oh first year they always have problems" since I replaced the parts above car has been problem free in almost 8 months. Tranny was just unlucky its not like guy was selling cheap because of it. I did a diag at dealer before buying and then thing crapped bed 2 months later and I dont beat on car. Anyways best investment to date Ive been offered 26 with warranty and have no intention of selling it!!!!

·
Registered
E55 2006 / E55 2000 / White Odyssey
169 Posts
No matter how you take care 03 is still 03. Its has a lot of problems that you don't know yet. Intecooler pump fail more often which your supercharge won't work when its too hot. Supercharge clutch fail, 05 has new updated. For 03, radiator leaking to tranny cause the tranny fail so if u don't change your radiator, it will cause again. 03 doesnt have Euro command so no Navi. The list go on and on. The best E55 is 05 and 06. Its good to have extend warranty but you still have to suffer take the car to the dealer. For me, I don't have time for this......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts