Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie with a 2002 C230K which has approx 34k miles on it. I just bought it in November of 2007 and I ALREADY have a CEL on. I had Autozone pull the codes 131 & 171. Is there any chance this could be covered by the extended warranty I purchased? If not could this be a costly repair? I will not be taking this to a MB stealership but I do have an appt at Carmax (where I purchased it from).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie with a 2002 C230K which has approx 34k miles on it. I just bought it in November of 2007 and I ALREADY have a CEL on. I had Autozone pull the codes 131 & 171. Is there any chance this could be covered by the extended warranty I purchased? If not could this be a costly repair? I will not be taking this to a MB stealership but I do have an appt at Carmax (where I purchased it from).
Lots of reasons for Check Engine Light/CEL
You could have a clogged Air Filter. Clogged Fuel Filter.
You could have over revved it and jack rabbit like I did this past Summer
and saw 2 or 3 lights come on quickly. Disappeared in about 2 minutes
CEL means that. Check the Engine. Make sure something is not amiss.
CarMax is not qualified to troubleshoot an MB.
Good mechanics yes, but MB is European

OBTW; Your Under Warranty. WHY not get a Cursory Inspection at your
Local Stealership? For giggles....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not an MB warranty which is why I'm not taking it to a stealership, it's Max Care from Car Max. I called CM this morning and they told me it is covered under the warranty. They also stated in the off chance it's something they can't handle, they would take to a MB dealer. OK Charles...since I'm a "girl" :) what does jack rabbit mean??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well - last I checked I was not a girl, but I do not know what is meant my jack rabbit either - I think. Maybe it is something one does with a stick-shift and hopeless clutch control - sort of leaping forward in jerks due to sudden uncontrolled clutch release. And I guess it could be done with an automatic by repeatedly stamping and release the throttle. Not sure why one would though.

Buellwinkle, are you on any of the RC forums as well? I am sure I have seen the avatar thing of yours over on one of them.

Lawrence

1 - 7 of 7 Posts