Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 404 without the rear body. I use it for trail use only. Are people adding weight to the rear of the 404's to help with dropoffs going downhill.

Just thought I'd get your opinons and experiences with this. thanks
Snarf :eek:

·
Registered
1976 U416
187 Posts
I'd give it a go,maybe make up a cradle to hold a oil barrel full of water.Strap it down horizontally and see how you like it.Worth a try probably.

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
922 Posts
As far as descending hills go, I don't think you need much if any weight with out the bed on a 404 chassis, though added weight won't hurt, and it certainly can inspire some confidence during a puckering descents. I will say that the problem you will run into with out weight, and especially old tires, is a loss of traction climbing up obstacles, especially sheer rock faces. I'd consider placing all your non-consumable weight back there, like batteries, spare tire, tool box etc. -James

·
Registered
Hover, Bike, Mog
388 Posts
I'm with James, it's more about traction.

- If you bury the front, the back can't pull/push it out
- The mog is much more manouverable in 2WD, with a bit of weight it has great traction.
- Better for going up hills
- Works the brakes better. With no auto-bias and no weight on the back, the back wheels lock really easy, not really a problem in 4WD
- The suspension works much better (particularly on road, it's just smoother)

The downside? Much less impressive oversteer, I *love* oversteer

jim - 12 hours ago I was out at the TT (mad sunday) on my bike, and it feels *so* strange to be sat on the sofa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts