As far as descending hills go, I don't think you need much if any weight with out the bed on a 404 chassis, though added weight won't hurt, and it certainly can inspire some confidence during a puckering descents. I will say that the problem you will run into with out weight, and especially old tires, is a loss of traction climbing up obstacles, especially sheer rock faces. I'd consider placing all your non-consumable weight back there, like batteries, spare tire, tool box etc. -James
- If you bury the front, the back can't pull/push it out
- The mog is much more manouverable in 2WD, with a bit of weight it has great traction.
- Better for going up hills
- Works the brakes better. With no auto-bias and no weight on the back, the back wheels lock really easy, not really a problem in 4WD
- The suspension works much better (particularly on road, it's just smoother)
The downside? Much less impressive oversteer, I *love* oversteer
jim - 12 hours ago I was out at the TT (mad sunday) on my bike, and it feels *so* strange to be sat on the sofa
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!