Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'01 CLK430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entering my 2nd month of owning a CLK430. I've noticed that when I apply the brakes that the frontend of the car dips down, should the car be doing this? Previously, I owned a BMW 330i and that car never dipped when the brakes were applied. Also, I rode in a friend's G35 and that car didn't dip either. I asked a service rep at the dealer, but he was clueless.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
It would really help to know of the miles on your car. Also, are you all stock or mod suspension.That 430 engine is fairly large and heavy for a small car. Its no 6 banger like bmw/infinity. Are you talking when you really brake hard or just rolling up to a stop sign from 20mph to 0mph? Need more info.

·
Registered
'01 CLK430
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all great questions!

the car has 35,000 miles and is stock. the "dip" occurs pretty much at any speed, but is more pronounced at higher speeds when a heavier foot is used to brake.

i went to lunch today with my boss, who has a huge cadillac (deville i think). i asked him to brake at fast and slow speeds and neither time did his car dip. so, when i got back to the office i revisited the mbusa site to see if i could find any info. they have something on there called "Active Body Control". i guess this is the technology that BMW and Infiniti use to keep their cars from doing the "dip" (no pun intended). according to the site, this feature is available on the clk, but when i looked through my owner's manual i couldn't find a reference to it.

so this brings me back to my original question.... for the fellow clk owners out there... does your stock clk have a noticable dip when you brake?

thanks again for any information you can share.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The dipping is what this car does due to the small car and big engine.

Mine did that...until I changed out the suspension.
Now...no more dipping...

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
Does the front end "bounce" back? If so, then it sounds like your front shock(s) is(are) going out. However, hard brakeing can produce the 'dip' as you speak of, but not too much dip.

·
Registered
S55
49 Posts
im sorry to hear you have a big woman in your life and your car. please stop the buffet and the car will dip less.
or do you have 3 little asian women at the same time in the front seat? anyhow there shouldnt be much dip. i have the 2003 cab 430 and no dip noticed.
i understand that some guys like big women so no hard feelings...big girls need loving too!!!
lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm guessing shocks are your problem. Either they're shot-out, or oem is just too soft for your taste. A nice new set of my favorite brand, Bilstein, made a huge difference in my car. What I hated more than the dip was the front end rise when I accelerated from a stop. Bilstein made the car feel like a new car. Got mine (part #BE3-2598) for ~$90ea. The "sport" version (BE3-2599)is supposed to be even stiffer.

While the front are perfect for me, the back shocks are too stiff, speed bumps are brutal. Bilstein claims 10% stiffer than oem, but they lie or the tech was drinking on the job that day because I'd guess 100% stiffer.
I ruined my oem rear shocks, otherwise I might put them back on. I may pull the valving from them and mix n match with the Bilstein to make it better.

Keep in mind that the CLK is (imo) more of a cruiser than a sports car. Shocks, spring rate and A-arm angles play a huge factor on braking dip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts