Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sunday my friend and I felt adventurous and ended up driving the wagon 330 miles that day. We live in Los Angeles and headed south on Interstate 5 along the coast to Oceanside where we connected with highway 78 east into the Cleveland National Forest. We stopped for lunch in the small town of Julian, known for their apple pies. We stopped for lunch and had a pretty bitchn' home-made chicken pot pie for lunch then stood in line across the street for an apple pie to bring home. Since we had plenty of fuel left, we ended up continuing east on the 78 into Anza Borrego Desert Park and took the majority of the pictures you see here. There were lots of fun winding turns which unfortunately I couldn't enjoy since my friend is susceptible toward motion sickness! So I drove it like the original owner probably would had they taken the wheel. Grandpa!

Got great mileage going there but that changed once we decided to turn around and head home. A storm was brewing nearby and the winds kicked up and unfortunately I had to travel right into it, uphill back up to 5,000ft to Julian and eventually to Interstate 5. Ouch. Fuel gauge plummeted. It was dark and cold by then and thankfully the heater is one of the few systems that are fully functional on the car. By the time we reached Long Beach it started raining and stayed that way. No problem except I remove the wiper relay because my wiper gremlin returned last rain storm. That's when you switch the wipers off then they start up again on & off. So I had to manually turn them on and time it where the wipers cut out at the bottom of the windshield (not the middle!).

Other issues were the glitchy power window switches (1 year old switches & fuses good). It may just be a case where the tracks need to be cleaned & lubed. I have a vacuum leak somewhere which compromised engine shut down. So once again, it reminded me of an old radial engine winding down on an aircraft. I can hear a wheezing sound under the dash so that needs to be investigated.

In total, it averaged 25mpg with periods of a/c usage, 70-75mph freeway blasts, mountain roads, head winds and some stop & go traffic. I'm happy with 25mpg!

Happy trails!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Love driving the wagon to Julian. I used to enjoy taking the w203 up in the mountains, but nowadays there are soo many RV's and trucks pulling trailers, that it's actually frustrating to drive so slow in a much more capable car. The wagon is a better drive from a patience and sanity perspective.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cool! I always enjoy driving a Benz out that way. Last time was several years ago towing a quad with my 240D :D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts