Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CLK 350
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this site and happy to see all the informative discussions. I'm looking to buy a 2008 possibly this weekend and would like to know the following:

1. Are there certain things inside/outside the car I should check for?

2. What important probing questions should I ask my dealer about the particular car I'm considering?

3. I'm only considering Mercedes certified cars, but am considering an extended warranty. The dealer warranties are expensive...are there great alternative warranties available from outside sources?

Thanks in advance to all for your feedback.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
If it's at an MB dealer, and certified, then it was probably always serviced at MB. Ask what has been done to it. They will be able to pull it all up even if it was from elsewhere. Otherwise there really isn't much to ask. They don't have some glaring defect you need to ask about. Nothing to look for inisde or out except condition. The only possible expetion is alingment. See if it pulls right. They often do and cannot be alinged w/o the addition of camber bolts that they will want to charge you for. Make sure it tracks stiiaght or make them fix it.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,991 Posts
Make sure it's not an early 2008 build. There was a problem in the M272 (3.5l V6) and M273 (5.5l V8) engines that used improper materials find the main timing gear causing it to deteriorate and it's a very expensive repair. Do a search on the site or The Internet for "balance shaft" and you'll find the details. Just make sure the engine serial number is past the affected range (from the MBZ TSB):

"Applicable Models (Not Applicable to Model 164.156, 204 or 216.386): Equipped with M272 Engine Up to Serial No. 2729..30 468993 or M273 Engine Up to Serial No. 2739..30 088611."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure it's not an early 2008 build. There was a problem in the M272 (3.5l V6) and M273 (5.5l V8) engines that used improper materials find the main timing gear causing it to deteriorate and it's a very expensive repair. Do a search on the site or The Internet for "balance shaft" and you'll find the details. Just make sure the engine serial number is past the affected range (from the MBZ TSB):

"Applicable Models (Not Applicable to Model 164.156, 204 or 216.386): Equipped with M272 Engine Up to Serial No. 2729..30 468993 or M273 Engine Up to Serial No. 2739..30 088611."
My readings(many different places) leads me to believe it was 2006/07's that were the problem and the fix took place late in the 2007 model run. I understand 2008's are fine. Anyone know differently.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
Mercedes-Benz
11,490 Posts
Yeah, I think what rudeney says is accurate. The watershed was late in calendar year 2007 which meant that some early 2008 MY cars are affected (in markets where 'Model Years' commence before calendar years!).

See here for example:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1602751-scan-codes-engine-problems-2005-clk.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1566342-maybe-buying-clk-vin-decode.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209-clk-class/1569455-2006-clk-350-problem.html

Meanwhile I'm going to start trying to collect and organize the relevant information, stay tuned

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,991 Posts
Yes, "model year" 2008 vehicles could have been on the assembly line as early as February 2007. It all depends on what is being changed and how long it takes to implement those changes for th new model year.

·
Registered
2000 E320 Original Owner 2007 CLK550 Cabriolet
179 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the MB warranty. Give Rich Carlson a call at Mercedes-Benz of Georgetown

[email protected]
ph: (512) 930-6155

My local dealer quoted me $4500 for an MB extended warranty and Rich was at $3150. I even offered to buy it from my dealer for $3150. I was called a lier and that no dealer would offer it at that price. So I bought it from Rich.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am researching a 2007 CLK350. Question on the extended warranty. I did not realize you could shop around for it. So you can buy it from any MB dealer and have the car serviced at any other dealer?

Do yourself a favor and get the MB warranty. Give Rich Carlson a call at Mercedes-Benz of Georgetown

[email protected]
ph: (512) 930-6155

My local dealer quoted me $4500 for an MB extended warranty and Rich was at $3150. I even offered to buy it from my dealer for $3150. I was called a lier and that no dealer would offer it at that price. So I bought it from Rich.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am researching a 2007 CLK350. Question on the extended warranty. I did not realize you could shop around for it. So you can buy it from any MB dealer and have the car serviced at any other dealer?
Yes you can shop around for those and all dealers will honor it. But the one hangup (I believe) is you can only buy it when the car is still under the original new car warranty or is a CPO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is the carfax for the car I am considering shows that the car was dealer serviced but about a week before the car was sold, the owner brought the car to his dealer for an oil leak check. The timing has me a little concerned. I asked the same question in the 'Welcome Forum'. Do you think the dealer would explain to me what the issue was?

Thanks

Yes you can shop around for those and all dealers will honor it. But the one hangup (I believe) is you can only buy it when the car is still under the original new car warranty or is a CPO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A CPO CLK350 extended warranty through us runs $1595 for 1 year, $2295 for 2 years. But from what I've seen, we're pretty low on all of prices here.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is the carfax for the car I am considering shows that the car was dealer serviced but about a week before the car was sold, the owner brought the car to his dealer for an oil leak check. The timing has me a little concerned. I asked the same question in the 'Welcome Forum'. Do you think the dealer would explain to me what the issue was?

Thanks
Is it a dealer trying to sell the car now? If so, they shoudl probably tell you what the oil leak was. Not uncommon and not usualy a big deal. Just took mine in today under warranty for an oil leak. Usually a valve cover gasket or these plastic plugs on the back side of the heads. If you are buying elsehwere, a dealer may tell you what it was anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I called the dealer where the car was serviced not the one selling it and they confirmed the oil leak wasn't just checked but repaired. They also confirmed that this has an M272 engine. Does anybody know what the final resolution was to the balance shaft issue? The selling dealer said there was a class action suit but he did not know if the car would be covered by MB if something does happen.

Thanks

Is it a dealer trying to sell the car now? If so, they shoudl probably tell you what the oil leak was. Not uncommon and not usualy a big deal. Just took mine in today under warranty for an oil leak. Usually a valve cover gasket or these plastic plugs on the back side of the heads. If you are buying elsehwere, a dealer may tell you what it was anyway.

·
18,991 Posts
The class action suit was dismissed by the judge. If I were looking to buy, I would definitely check the engine serial number and avoid anything in the affected range unless it will have a warranty. For those already with the bad engines, MBZ might help with a "goodwill" repair depending on mileage. They did on my CLK550 with only 34K miles on the clock. I heard someone with 90K+ recently turned down for assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the definitive answer. I am looking at two cars both are not being sold by MB so neither has an extended warranty. Although I was told I could buy one for $3300 for 4 years or 48K of powertrain coverage.

Here are the two cars:
Vehicle Details - Edmunds.com

2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK350, $25,995 - Cars.com

any thoughts?

The class action suit was dismissed by the judge. If I were looking to buy, I would definitely check the engine serial number and avoid anything in the affected range unless it will have a warranty. For those already with the bad engines, MBZ might help with a "goodwill" repair depending on mileage. They did on my CLK550 with only 34K miles on the clock. I heard someone with 90K+ recently turned down for assistance.

·
18,991 Posts
Both have engines that fall within the balance shaft problem range. That would be my primary concern. Of course that repair should be covered by an extended warranty, or possibly MBZ goodwill. If it were me, I'd go with the more expensive one at Danbury Audi. Why? It has (IMHO) a better color combination (sorry, I've never been a big fan of gray interiors), nicer wheels, and COMAND/NAV. Also, it has lower miles. But again, I wouldn't buy it without a warranty to make sure the balance shaft issue will be covered. It may never be a problem, but if it is, it will be $4K+ problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts