16,445 Posts
I went to buy an assault rifle today
Astonished by the price, I asked the clerk:

"Do I get a student discount?"

·
Registered
'74 & '78 450 SEL
9,139 Posts
That's right. All guns are assault weapons.
Not necessarily true. My friend who collects military type automatic rifles has no intention of ever using them for "assault" purposes. They're strictly a hobby to acquire, fabricate, and assemble the parts into working guns for his collection. They're kept safely locked away and only taken out when showing them off to fellow enthusiasts, or occasionally used recreationally for target practice.

Most of these rifles are Sten clones or other simple and easy to produce automatic weapons that will never be used against another human being. For home and self defense, he uses a handgun, like any sensible person.

His automatic rifles are really nothing more than toys for responsible adults. Like exotic cars that are custom built to be part of a collection and never driven on the street, occasionally travelling to car shows inside a trailer. Technically it's a car, though it's anything but "transportation". And technically it's a gun though it's anything but an "assault" weapon.

Gun control zealots would classify this person as a menace to society and certainly some people on this forum would piss their pants in fear and cower in their homes if they found out someone like him was one of their neighbors. As if he was one Fox News story away from snapping and storming into their kid's grade school with guns a-blazin' on Hitler's birthday.

Meanwhile, a few miles down the road, little kids out trick or treating for candy are dying from stray bullets from 9mm Glocks fired by gang members out to shoot other gang members. No one seems to give a shit about them because the country is all worried about and obsessed with the supposed epidemic of neo Nazis packing AR-15s.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,966 Posts
I went to buy an assault rifle today
Astonished by the price, I asked the clerk:

"Do I get a student discount?"
It is a 'hunting tool', you'll need a hunting license.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Guns kill and the second amendment was a mistake and has proven itself to be a failure.

Carry on.

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
16,445 Posts
So guns aren't assault weapons when not being used to assault people but when they are they're still not assault weapons just misunderstood pecadilloes.

·
Registered
1985 280SE
1,246 Posts

“The Genesee County Undersheriff says 36-year-old Charles Cooper forced his way into a home on Clinton Street Road overnight, appeared to be in possession of a gun, and demanded cash from the homeowner.

The 76-year-old homeowner tells 7 Eyewitness News it was shortly after 9:00 p.m. he heard a knock at the door. He says the man, wearing a ski mask pushed him and forced his way inside.

"He had the gun in my face," the man said.

The homeowner says the suspect then asked the couple to move to the back mud room. The homeowner went first, knowing he had the double-barrel shotgun in the room.

"I hurried up and went down, he didn't follow me right away. I backed up against the wall, reached up and got the shotgun. I put it behind me. He couldn't see it. He turned around, dropped his money and he reached down and I shot from the hip. He went down," the homeowner said.

The homeowner says his wife called 911.

Cooper was airlifted to Strong Memorial Hospital. He is listed in critical condition.

Police say the homeowner's long gun was legally-owned.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The gun the intruder had was at one time bought by someone exercising their 2A rights.

If gun lovers are so afraid of bad guys with guns, why do they insist they be made easily available?

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,371 Posts
I was at a BBC World Service radio show recording last night (yes really) and of course the topic of gun control came up. Usual crap from both sides of the political figures on stage, "metal health issue" "birthright" "if only EVERYONE had an AK-47" ya-dee-ya-dee-ya.
Sitting there it struck me that its not really the mass shootings that are the real problem.
Now don't get me wrong, for sure I think "assault rifles" should be banned and anyone who wants one should just go out, but a copy of Guns'n'Ammo, a pound of liver and a wooly sock and make at it like a teenage boy with a copy of Hustler.
And of course, all those mass shootings are deplorable, preventable, etc. etc.
BUT.
Then I thought to myself "how many shootings are NOT mass shootings?" Three hundred homicides a year in the city of Houston, and you can bet 90+ percent of those are shootings. Probably three or four times that number of non-fatal shootings. SO where is the real problem? Answer: street violence and hood rats shooting it out over freaking chicken sandwiches, that's where.
What I would do is instigate a program where ANYONE caught up in ANY kind of criminal act beyond a speeding ticket and carrying a firearm should have that firearm confiscated and melted down. I would also ban buying and selling of firearms at pawn shops.

·
Registered
1985 280SE
1,246 Posts
Melt the gun and let the dirtbag go?
How about lock him up for 20 years and auction the gun(s) off to law-abiding citizens?
Congratulations for coming to the realization that the dirtbags are where the attention should go, not the guns.

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
16,445 Posts
Like the 150,000 odd guns sold by Americans to Mexican drug cartels since 2007. Way to go.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,966 Posts
Not likely every single one of those 150,000 were dirtbags, so some of them must be law-abiding citizens ?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
IOW, let the conservative stacked lower courts deal with this.
Nothing to get excited about yet.

13921 - 13940 of 13965 Posts