Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

13881 - 13900 of 13915 Posts

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
That guns don’t commit crimes and any government efforts to reduce gun crimes should be directed at criminals, not law-abiding citizens.

Seems to me the weapon of choice of criminals is what they're should ban...

Funny part you didn't call the El Paso shooter a gun nutter...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Criminals use whatever tools they can get their hands on. Banning any of those tools would be nothing more than “feel-good” legislation that only affects decent citizens.

I’ve never called anyone a gun nutter.
“Gun nutter” has been the term used here by the “antis” when referring to law-abiding citizens that enjoy using firearms regularly.

The sad truth is that the dirtbags rarely get more than a slap on the wrist yet Libs claim that by making even more laws they are “doing something”.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Criminals use whatever tools they can get their hands on. Banning any of those tools would be nothing more than “feel-good” legislation that only affects decent citizens.

I’ve never called anyone a gun nutter.
“Gun nutter” has been the term used here by the “antis” when referring to law-abiding citizens that enjoy using firearms regularly.
Unfortunately, that's what it seems the antis like to do. I had the honour of Susan "Medea" Benjamin of the Code Pink organization refer to me as a "gun nut". At the time, I had an early-Soviet-era Mosin-Nagant slung over my shoulder. I waved back to her and said, "yep, thank you!", smiling broadly. She didn't know what to do with that. :)

The sad truth is that the dirtbags rarely get more than a slap on the wrist yet Libs claim that by making even more laws they are “doing something”.
I'm a Lib, and I don't do that. ;-)

And actually, a lot of perpetrators do get considerably more than "slap on the wrist"...especially if they're Black. Just sayin'. NBC's David Gregory, of course, got to walk scot-free after flagrantly breaking Washington DC's "high capacity magazine ban" law...maybe it was more "affluenza"..... :rolleyes:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/01/11/169188028/nbcs-david-gregory-wont-be-charged-for-showing-ammo-magazine

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
^^ If that's the case, then why aren't the antis going after handguns instead of semi-automatic rifles?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
So you do want to go after handguns. OK, does that include the police as well?

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
In my ideal world if no one had guns the police wouldn't need any either... but that nirvana only happens in other countries like Norway, England, Iceland, New Zealand, etc.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Norwegian cops routinely carry guns. British cops quite frequently too, sadly, but not routinely, thankfully, these days.

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
The Norwegian Police Service only carry firearms in response to specific situations. The use of firearms is recorded by the police department which publishes detailed statistics on the annual use of firearms. The information presented in the 2014 report is detailed in the table below.

Firearm use threatened70726752756555587566585842
Rounds discharged1153302361332
Total71737255786557618167616144
People killed0001100000000
People wounded1-51101241020
Incidents of armed police---2666--21702358-2711--2954

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Back in the 90s when I was a regular visitor, they always carried when the Stena Offshore and Rockwater boys were out on the piss in Stavangar or Oslo Hmm...

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
GreenT said:
In my ideal world if no one had guns the police wouldn't need any either... but that nirvana only happens in other countries like Norway, England, Iceland, New Zealand, etc.
This is why I'm ideologically liberal but not politically. The vast majority of liberal/progressive politicians believe that it's possible to solve complex problems by passing laws that are little more than good intentions, but are either useless or actually do more harm than good.

America is culturally very different from countries like Norway or Iceland. They really don't need laws against guns because few of their citizens even want them. It just isn't part of their culture. Gun control activists want to pass laws in America that would make owning some or all guns illegal in the mistaken belief that a simple law will magically transform America into Norway.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Norway and Iceland are basically monocultures, much like Japan. Instead, let's look at a more multicultural country, Switzerland, and yes, the Swiss are quite multicultural. The antis like to try saying that Switzerland is also culturally different from the United States. Of course it is...though they have a very strong historical defense of their liberty. It is also one of the safest countries in the world to be in, and they've got machine guns in every hamlet and home of almost every man of service-age, and woman of service-age who volunteers (women can volunteer in the Swiss army; for men, it's mandatory).

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
Ahhh the old monoculture routine...

Applying critical race theory to our understanding of how we define social problems can help us further examine how gun violence can be viewed and experienced in various ways. According to Blumer (1971), a social problem exists primarily in terms of how society defines and conceives of it. A social problem does not exist unless it is “recognized by a society . . . otherwise they do not perceive it, address it, discuss it, or do anything about it. The problem is just not there” (Blumer, 1971, p. 302). Critical race theory examines race and racism across dominant modes of cultural expression. Through this lens, researchers try to understand how victims of systemic racism are affected by cultural perceptions of race.

It is very apparent that gun violence for Whites in the United States is a social problem, and yet for communities of color, it is seen as a separate, individualized matter. The media and social movements play a role in how news of gun violence is experienced across the nation. Parham-Payne (2014) found that the violence in inner-city neighborhoods might be widely known but is mentioned only briefly in newscasts, and even then rarely results in a call to action. Media outlets perpetuate stereotypes of communities of color by rarely showing minorities in the role of victim. Often, the news fails to include coverage of Black Americans and overidentifies other groups of color as criminals (Chiricos & Eschholz, 2002; Dixon & Williams, 2014; Entman, 1990; Gerbner, 2003; Surrette, 1992; Welch, 2007). This portrayal in the media continues to negatively affect communities of color by insinuating that the violence occurs only in low-income and racial/ethnic minority communities and perpetuates the myth that gun violence is mainly the result of stereotypes like Blackon- Black crime. But statements like these are false and discriminatory. Statistically, Whites typically commit crimes against Whites, Asians against Asians, Native Americans against Native Americans, and so on, because most often people commit crimes where they live (Morgan, 2015). Because people continue to live in segregated neighborhoods in the United States (Boustan, 2013; Iceland, Weinberg, & Steinmetz, 2002), they tend to commit crimes against other people of the same race. The narrative of Black-on-Black crime is rooted in systemic oppression, racism, and implicit bias, and it leaves Black people and other minorities to fix “their” problems on their own.

Movements born from gun violence help to expand the picture. Students from Parkland have organized rallies, and the news media covers the “march” and fortitude of the young survivors who have taken to the streets of our nation’s capital. When communities like Ferguson, Missouri, organize, though, they are labeled “protesters” and “rioters”; they are met with the National Guard, army tanks, and tear gas. The difference in experience is not just discriminatory and astounding—it is traumatic. Research tells us that racial/ ethnic minorities are experiencing the trauma of gun violence to such an extent that their ability to cope is compromised (see Bryant-Davis, Adams, Alejandre, & Gray, 2017; Santilli et al., 2017; Slutkin, 2013; Voisin, Bird, Hardestry, & Shiu, 2011). These stressful and traumatic events contribute to mental states and overall quality of life that is disrupted by emotional changes, and those are passed on through generations.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
^^ Ah, the current Democrat Party "Black people don't need to be able to defend themselves!" blathering....

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
Sorry... was unaware Blacks were the only demographic group who would lose their privilege to own an AR-15 as an pseudo-intellectual pivot to blaming gun violence on minorities.

We done, Sir.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
“We have to have a buyback program,” Harris said. “I support a mandatory buyback program. It’s gotta be smart. We gotta do it the right way.”

Harris estimated that there are currently 5-10 million “assault weapons” in the U.S., but did not mention any specific type of firearm her administration would target.”

Cool!
I hope some of mine are on her list.
I’ll sell it “back” to her for no less than twice what I paid and buy some others that I’ve had my eye on.
Go Kamala!

13881 - 13900 of 13915 Posts