Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been bitching for the last year about the softness and wallowing of my E55, and in consideration of changing to hr springs and bilstien sport shocks, as Vic had done, I spoke to Tiffany at Bilstein and asked the difference between the oem e55 shock and the sport. I was shocked, shocked, I tell you to hear that the shock amg uses in the E55 is valved to be a compromise between comfort and hd. I had thought that they revalved the hd. Perhaps that's correct.I will be setting up the car as indicated within the next few weeks and I'll tell ya about it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All of AMG's stuff is a compromise between comfort and...

performance. There reasoning for it - the majority of customers do not want a bone-jarring ride. The suspension is not too stiff, the exhaust is not too loud, no manual tranny, etc. I guess customer that want bone-jarring have to by a M5 with a manual tranny.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different folks, different strokes.

Congratulation on your new E55, E55KEV. I find the ride of the stock E55 is just about right( at least for me) and I can't imagine anything stiffer. Driving E55 in the city( Toronto last weekend) was little more bumpy than I wanted but crusing at 90+ MPH all the way to the border was quite rewarding. Manual tranny is over-rated; I rather let the technology do the shifting for me. Beside paying 70+ grand for a luxury/sport sedan with manual tranny is not my cup of tea.<br> <br> So, when are you planning to order the next E55? I will probably wait 3-4 years until the next version mature a bit.<br> <br> John<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Different folks, different strokes.

Thanks John J, I will consider the W211 E55 after the mid model updates, which I speculate to be for the 2005 or 2006 model years. The W211 chassis will probably run no more than 5 or 6 years. Mercedes is updating the models on a more aggressive schedule. I want to get the mid model body changes and the next supercharged engine based on the Direct Injection engines.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Different folks, different strokes.

Sorry for my english, I´ll try to explain:<br> In a direct injection engine, fuel and air is mixed together in the combustion chamber, not before like a traditional fuel injected engine. Fuel is injected with very high pressure which gives an efficiant burning. It also allows for a higher compression ratio. Main advantage is a lower fuel-consumption. One disadvantage is a not so smoth engine, they can sound similar to a diesel, but according to german auto motor & sport who tested the new 170 hp 1,8 liter supercharged direct injection engine in the C-class, the four cylinder DI engine is very smooth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts