Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts
The "inspector" of these welds (for the vast majority) does not exist. The fabrication either holds up to the rigors of Off Road Racing, or it doesn't. If welds crack, or tubes buckle, then lessons are learned, changes are made, and the next version is better. What is shown here is the result of much trial and error, combined
with some skilled welding. The uniformity of the welds, and the beauty of it all is great, but if it does not hold up to the Baja 1000,for example, then it is all for naught. In point of fact, there are trucks that have been in the game for years (since 1995), using their original chassis, with their original welds. The Core frame / cage might survive many years, but receive new suspension pieces- "J-arms", trailing arms, etc. as the suspension geometry and shock technology is developed. On the other hand, after some races, the whole back half of the truck might be sawn off, and they start over.
The un-welded cage shots show the precision of the tube fitment before they are welded together. The tight tolerances of the tube joints is the first step in building the strength into the cage. The welds don't
fill the gaps, per se, as there aren't any gaps....that is a critical part of the fabrication, no matter how beautiful the welding is.

I think the fitment of the parts before welding is just as impressive. It would be an absolute honor to be able to weld parts that fit that nice before any heat is applied.

nice looking welds. however, i've been in the engineering and prduction of structral steel for a bit and funny enough, some of those welds may not pass. the best part is that the inspecter is usually a fool that just cant weld. LOL.

Acad if you want to weld like that, you need to upgrade. most of the wleds shown are pulsed tig and some are pulsed mig. some of them may have been done with just a foot pedal but usually you let the machine do the work.

there is a awesome thread on pirate showing unbelivable welds.

the most interesting welding i have ever seen was on moster garage. some nerdy guy named Paco. it blew my mind how he maniplated the welding rod. later on jesse james absolutly comented on it. i wish i could find the clip. anyone that has welded alum will be impressed. at least i was (and wished i could duplicate that)

i guess it was time for a highjack anyway.

Jesse James = douche, but that is just my opinion.
A friend of mine helped 'Make him'- he owns DIABLO #1 ....
It is in the entry of his house.
The welds on West Coast Chopper Bikes have nothing
In common with what I posted. I'm biased. I will admit
It. His push to promote Shop classes in school is admirable,
And I think it is great. After that, it drops off. Maybe
Because I don't need a Mustang that is also a lawn
Mower..... He is the Kardasian of Metal , in my book....

Well now that we have wandered way off, I find Jesse to be very good at marketing him self and selling expensive stuff to rich people who wouldn't know what is or isn't made right or built well to start with, all they care is that he's trendy and it's expensive. Conspicious consumption and all that. Its the same reason I don't like OC Choppers, childish antics to drive drama while they pound out cookie cutter machines, all with extra OMFG sauce on top in terms of things that could easily be solved by taking the time up front to draw it out and make sure everyone clearly understands what the goal is. Prior Planning...

Edit
I also think hes like the herpes of the fabrication and trades world. He talks a good game but my money is on mike rowe for the future of trades in america.

Reactions: Pcoffee and sdibaja
I'm right there with you- no reason to choose their
Bikes- they are just " reality TV " tools.
The Drama is manufactured, The personalities are
Played up, the conflict is BS, and the lame-ass morons wind
Up with walls of Snap-on or MAC tools.
Go figure.
They are so smart that they grab Vise Grips to butch
A swing arm bolt... Or did somebody direct them to do
That so Real men that really know how to use tools
Would check in and bitch ?
It all belongs in the toilet, and there is probably a real
Mechanic / craftsman that is in your Town / county/
District / Province/ state that smokes all of the TV
Douchewrenches, and is actually a good person, without
Some invented anger crap to push the story along ....
Just me .

You never see him throwing tools and pitching a fit.

Chip Foose you mean, I reckon.
That guy, to me, deserves respect.
Highly skilled, loves the tradition
Of hot rods and customs, and always
Has an opinion, which is a good thing.
I'm not sure what his current approach
Is, but not too long ago, he didn't
"DO " Email nor the Internet at all.
He said: 'Im busy, my days are full,
I don't need ( or want to ) to see what
Everybody else is doing...I have my own
Plan..."
I'm paraphrasing here, but that is the gist
Of it.
I am leaning that way....except when it
Involves Unimog Photos, naturally .

Yes Chip. I always enjoyed his show because he would come up with an idea then turn to his back pocket full of other professionals and say how can I do this and they would then come up with a harmonized and integrated plan to execute the idea. And when they encountered problems, everyone met and talked, no flying wrenches and hissy fits of neck rage.

Nearly every other building how with few exceptions is all about egos crashing like walrus' on the beach, vying for who can be the most hysterical. Or it's guys throwing obscene amounts of money around as they buy build and sell poorly constructed crap that looks shiny.

I can respect Chip because no matter what, he has his ideas about what is or isn't and doesn't force them on you; you either want what he's selling or you don't.

Why not take the old school junkyard wars and Chip and Survivorman and build as show out of that... that doesn't feel like top gear skits.

Chas,
Do you want me to teach you how to mig weld?
Forget the poofy poofy tig pretties.
On the farm we use portable DC welder with 2 different electrodes--E6011 and E7018-- covers it all. ?????--- Or Miller Mig.
----Works for me.--:))
Oh an I forgot my cutting torch an Makita chop saw---:))

And for shock talk my ambulance has the special models-- for ambulance--. Soft ride.
The shock towers on SBU-BW mogs are much easier to access-- than other Mogs
T

I think Aaron makes a great point about the preweld prep/fitup quality, that is the key to making welds like look like that (and artistic skill).

Still, many of these welds do not pass technical muster. The weld below, from a previous post, is severely underfilled. I would fire my inspector if he let that out of the shop. Yes, fire him.

Generally, I would be interested to know what joint types and positions were used and whether they do root and cover passes or just lay on the pedal and feed more rod. Does the racing industry gets into that detail? I have no idea if they do, I suspect some do, and many do not.

Pipe Metal Steel Auto part

Unfortunately my experience says that welds that look that good fail in service, or do not pass NDI/NDT. They usually have incomplete joint penetration (IJP) and underfill (UF). Ones that look "OK" but not so pretty are the ones that welders who weld for code applications put down. That stack of dimes look is pretty, but has nothing to do with a good weld.

Good welds never fail in the weld. The only acceptable failure is in the base metal.

C.

with nice shiny bright metal, welds like that aren't very difficult. The hold up that most of us have is that we don't take the time to do proper prep. I am as guilty of that as anyone. If the base metal is a little rusty....hey, just crank up the heat. To weld like that is very much a zen like thing. Nothing else in the world exists when you are producing welds like that. And a very satisfying thing to boot.

yap. its nice to have perfect fitment. i think true crafsmanship will be lost in the near future with all the automation. we have the bigger brother to one of these at work. lets say by the end of the weekend, we could all have tube chassy kits.

That Underfilled weld may very well be the first pass,
And I think there was another pass or two to finish it up.
These guys are not idiots- their stuff either works, or
They are rolling their tools out of the shop and they're back on
The street.
Yes, pretty welds do not equal Strong welds, but neither
Do they equal weak welds, if done correctly. The proof of the
Pudding is in the eating, and if beautiful welds hold up
To the demands of the competition, then they are successful.
Nobody wants to build a race truck with 'beautiful welds'
if it does not hold together. If welds that looked like they
Came out of a toothpaste tube had proven to be The
Strongest and most durable over the course of years in
Competition, then Every competent fabricator would
Just relax and MIG everything together.
Nobody gets a trophy for having beautiful welds- they
Get a trophy for beating everybody else; everybody else
That is working just has hard and spending as much money
As necessary to try to beat them.The competition is at a high
Level, and so is the workmanship.
Again, I suspect that the 'Underfilled ' weld was the first
Pass- I will see if I can find subsequent photos. None
Of these teams are spending $550K - $650K on their
Race trucks to get patted on the back for beautiful welds.

A very nice first pass indeed!

When I bought my Dynasty, the appearance of my welds improved considerably due to frequency control, compared to welds done 20 yrs prior with a then 60's Airco, but no stronger.

Now, between poor eyesight and not a physically adaptable, the welds look the same! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Back to topic- I'll be doing shocks soon, choose HD boge's.

Chas,
Do you want me to teach you how to mig weld?
Forget the poofy poofy tig pretties.
On the farm we use portable DC welder with 2 different electrodes--E6011 and E7018-- covers it all. ?????--- Or Miller Mig.
----Works for me.--:))
Oh an I forgot my cutting torch an Makita chop saw---:))

And for shock talk my ambulance has the special models-- for ambulance--. Soft ride.
The shock towers on SBU-BW mogs are much easier to access-- than other Mogs
T
Funny Terry.
I have the same rods in my garage. Mig is easier though.
Chas

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.