Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would never bother with Gabriel unless they were goin on a junker, but are Bilstiens that much better than Monroe's? Now that it's warm out I can barely keep my rear tires on the road, I need shocks soon, but is the extra $ worth it, will Bilstiens give that much of a better ride? I like the smooth ride, does anybody have any real comparitive knowledge?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not sure about the W123, I used to have Monroes on my W201, and replaced it with some Bilstein HD all around, the car felt so much different. Much better response!

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, another question. What does the HD stand for, will I get a stiffer ride? I like the soft, luxorious ride these cars have.
EDIT: I do also like good handling, can I get the best of both worlds?

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,747 Posts
Stevenpfaff - 4/14/2005 8:06 PM

Ok, another question. What does the HD stand for, will I get a stiffer ride? I like the soft, luxorious ride these cars have.
EDIT: I do also like good handling, can I get the best of both worlds?
HD stands for Heavy Duty. In my experience, Bilsteins are much better than Monroe, but not necessarily that much better than KYB. The ride with HDs seems slightly stiffer, but not unreasonably so.

A

·
0 Posts
Bilsteins are available in 2 setting ranges....HD, and Comfort. the latter offers a smooth ride, with good handling, and the HD's (heavy duty, in english, called Hoch-Drueck in germany, meaning high pressure), is the best one. your ride can be a BIT bumpy, as they are stiff as hell, but u will be able to corner like a race car with them. I LOVE MINE!!!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
While we're on the topic of shock absorbers, does anybody know the damping rates of these? And if you could add, the springs (both stock and lowered perhaps) too?

Steven, I would go with Bilstein. It's OEM for Mercedes-Benz, and that's good enough for me. [:)]

·
Registered
483 Posts
You should never use the comforts or the HDs on a lowered vehicle. It will shorten the life of the shocks. However, you do not use sport shocks on a stock spring vehicle. Your ride would be horrible.

·
Registered
'81 300TD
215 Posts
Schmohey - 4/14/2005 10:15 PM

You should never use the comforts or the HDs on a lowered vehicle. It will shorten the life of the shocks. However, you do not use sport shocks on a stock spring vehicle. Your ride would be horrible.
I beg to differ. I spoke with a tech at Bilstein and was told that the HD's would work fine on my lowered (43mm) 300TD. No shorten life. I love the ride of the HD's...not too soft, not too stiff.

Gary

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I should just spend the extra $$$ and get the Bilstien comfort rides? Is that really going to give me that much better a ride than a pair of Monroe sensatrac's for half the price?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts