Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

Well some of you may remember about 1 month ago i had my resonator changed. ..payed an ashtonishingly high price for it but comforted myself by saying its OEM...its OEM.. its OEM

Now i've brought the car back 4 times until now to have the whole exhaust adjusted because it was rattling when the car was cold or rattle when the rpm's were a little low and the engine had to be forced and so on...

So yesterday i brought it in ..again! hoping it would be the last time. Now he solved the whole rattle problem, its all quiet now. But the bloody muffler is like hanging far too low!! When looking at the car from the back you can see the the bottom of the muffler and pipe going down!!! Now having payed dealerhsip prices for these items (500 for the muffler and 500 for the resonator!!) you'd think they'd install it properly! (I had to vent for a moment lol, this just pisses me off, my apologies)

Now i scheduled yet another appoitment for next monday! I will not bring it somewhere else just yet since i refuse to pay 1 cent more to have something like this repaired! not after the amount of money i payed for these parts in the first place!

Now, have any of you encountered problems like this? Muffler hanging too low? If you have, PLEASE let me know how yo solved it.

Because when i go back on Monday to have it repaired i wont accept if he tells me there's nothign he can do.. I need alot of options and arguments to give this guy to fix this problem! In the end i cant be bothered to pay over 1k for having a resonator and muffler installed! thats just outrageous for that price i would have gotten a complete custom exhaust made for the car!

So please if any of you have encountered this problem i need solutions to give this guy! This is just totally unnacetable that a guy that claism to be a certified benz mechanic can give me such a half assed job.

After this visit, i dont think he'll ever lay his hands on my car again.

Thank you all for supporting my agry rant! and please any help is greatly appreciated

Ivan K.

·
Registered
84 190e 2.3 soon to be LS1 powered
95 Posts
Hello to all,

Well some of you may remember about 1 month ago i had my resonator changed. ..payed an ashtonishingly high price for it but comforted myself by saying its OEM...its OEM.. its OEM

Now i've brought the car back 4 times until now to have the whole exhaust adjusted because it was rattling when the car was cold or rattle when the rpm's were a little low and the engine had to be forced and so on...

So yesterday i brought it in ..again! hoping it would be the last time. Now he solved the whole rattle problem, its all quiet now. But the bloody muffler is like hanging far too low!! When looking at the car from the back you can see the the bottom of the muffler and pipe going down!!! Now having payed dealerhsip prices for these items (500 for the muffler and 500 for the resonator!!) you'd think they'd install it properly! (I had to vent for a moment lol, this just pisses me off, my apologies)

Now i scheduled yet another appoitment for next monday! I will not bring it somewhere else just yet since i refuse to pay 1 cent more to have something like this repaired! not after the amount of money i payed for these parts in the first place!

Now, have any of you encountered problems like this? Muffler hanging too low? If you have, PLEASE let me know how yo solved it.

Because when i go back on Monday to have it repaired i wont accept if he tells me there's nothign he can do.. I need alot of options and arguments to give this guy to fix this problem! In the end i cant be bothered to pay over 1k for having a resonator and muffler installed! thats just outrageous for that price i would have gotten a complete custom exhaust made for the car!

So please if any of you have encountered this problem i need solutions to give this guy! This is just totally unnacetable that a guy that claism to be a certified benz mechanic can give me such a half assed job.

After this visit, i dont think he'll ever lay his hands on my car again.

Thank you all for supporting my agry rant! and please any help is greatly appreciated

Ivan K.
There are a number of rubber buffers, I suspect they either did not know about, or just don't care enough to install on the undershields above the exhaust. I am guessing that is why your exhaust rattles when it is in the correct location.

dampening pad 107 978 11 40 and 123 987 09 40
rear hanger 107 492 00 82 x2
center hanger 201 492 01 16
trans hanger kit 201 490 00 37
hanger on cat if equipped 116 492 00 82

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
whyddd u go oem, so expensive and not worth it in my opinion

but found out yesterday the reason why my pipe keeps cracking is because somone that worked on the exhaust before i had the car removed the flex pipe!!!

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,859 Posts
Pics would probably help so we can see exactly how the mechanic put it in.
Last June I had an OEM fitament system put in (muffler section by Ansa and reasonator made by Ernst germany) and my indy mechanic did an excellent job. All he did was bolt up the new reasonator and new muffler, use a clamp to attach the two and then use OEM rubber donuts to hang the exhaust. Looks exactly like the original system

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a number of rubber buffers, I suspect they either did not know about, or just don't care enough to install on the undershields above the exhaust. I am guessing that is why your exhaust rattles when it is in the correct location.

dampening pad 107 978 11 40 and 123 987 09 40
rear hanger 107 492 00 82 x2
center hanger 201 492 01 16
trans hanger kit 201 490 00 37
hanger on cat if equipped 116 492 00 82

Wow, thank you so much "Click the pirate" i'm gonna write all these parts down and make sure they are all installed! if they're arent... well thats just unacceptable

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics would probably help so we can see exactly how the mechanic put it in.
Last June I had an OEM fitament system put in (muffler section by Ansa and reasonator made by Ernst germany) and my indy mechanic did an excellent job. All he did was bolt up the new reasonator and new muffler, use a clamp to attach the two and then use OEM rubber donuts to hang the exhaust. Looks exactly like the original system

I'm at work now, but i'll take pics of it tonight when i get off and post them around 7-8 tonight

I too thought it was a simple job... if i would have know it would have turned into this kind of fiasco i would have simply brought it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whyddd u go oem, so expensive and not worth it in my opinion

but found out yesterday the reason why my pipe keeps cracking is because somone that worked on the exhaust before i had the car removed the flex pipe!!!
I went with OEM because of 1 strick rule i have applied on my car! Absolutly Everything needs to be OEM. My ultimate goal is to have the car sound and feel like the day it left the factory!

So u could imagine my frustration when i pay these insane prices to have the car stock and see an installation that looks like it was done by some amateur in his backyard!

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,859 Posts
It's actually too low for the cars w/ the cladding update (89+) The way it's supposed to looks is like this. (Ansa OEM fit rear muffler)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts