Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300SDL
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent a grille to Smack a fellow member via UPS and was charged (drum roll)

$33 !

Are you kidding me?!

I paid 60$ for it, Smack gave me 70$ to cover shipping, but shipping was 33$.

That means I made -37$

FML

**** YOU UPS

I now get off my soapbox. I'm never sending anything ever again until I have an estimate to tack on top of selling price.

I hate myself.

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Unfortunately shiping costs are based on the size / weight and logistics of delivery
Not the value of the item
I'm never sending anything ever again until I have an estimate to tack on top of selling price
Bingo ;)

I now end my smug little post :D

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,484 Posts
I had the same experience with a storefront UPS franchise.
I was quoted $ 70 or so to ship a bumper, but my account was charged $160.
The shipper had cushioned the bumper inside the box with '8 prepaid post office boxes.'
Complaining to UPS with pics from the recipient just got me the big runaround.
A UPS operated hub might be better.
Perhaps, the privately owned store fronts should offer condoms and vaseline....

·
Registered
1987 300SDL
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try kinkos next time. UPS is ridiculous.

160 to ship a bumper??? I bet you can get the bumper itself for about that much...

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
The annoying thing is that those, of course, are "retail" prices...don't think for a moment that the commercial guys pay anything like that.

On big and (not easily smashed or lost) stuff like wheels, etc, give Greyhound Package Express a try. The...uhhh..."ambiance" isn't that good but the prices are unbeatable - if the other party is willing to pick them up.

The bumper mentioned above would have been a good candidate.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,507 Posts

160 to ship a bumper??? I bet you can get the bumper itself for about that much...
"YIKES" I can't imagine what it is going to cost me to have 2 bumpers, 2 side skirts and front/rear spoilers shipped here from up north.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
USPS priority is good for shipping parts. Hell, I sent downpipes to a member in NY for half of what you paid UPS.

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
26 Posts
Gentlefolk, I may be new to the W126 thing, but I know shipping, and (without apologies to anyone affiliated) UPS bites.
The good Doctor, Dr Grillz is right about regular postal services, and (for my purposes) the duties and "brokerage" to get stuff into Canada is outright piracy (and seemingly arbitrary). Sure, duties are a part of international trade, but figure how I got a pair of Chevelle doors (big and damned heavy) up here via ltl (less than load) pallet shipping for ... dig this... $300. That comes in at $1 a lb although not at a rush, from Az.
I try and get ALL my eBay stuff through postal, but alot of folks won't play nice, and I guess there's a calculator or something from UPS that makes it easy for vendors.
Give me a world where everyone uses Paypal and multi-shipping options!!!

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
+1 on the USPS. I've been sending parts all over the US, and a few to Canada and Australia, for the past year, and found that the USPS is mighty economical. I now have a good grasp on the approximate costs of shipping items, and rather than package stuff, then get the shipping costs, then go back to the buyer with an additional cost, I've elected to go with the "price includes shipping" option, at least for the US. I ship mostly smaller stuff, but I'm prepping a set of SEC door trims to ship, and I've never really felt that it was all that expensive. I've also never had an issue with loss and only one with damage (probably my packing fault), and the shipping times are usually 3-10 days, depending. Granted, getting anything out of the USPS for compensation (i.e., that damaged rear tail light lens) is damn near impossible, but that's the way it is for all the shippers....

I tried the "if it fits, it ships for one low price" via the USPS priority mail, but I find that if I use my own boxes and packing, it's about 30% cheaper. I scrounge all the boxes I can find (my school happens to buy all sorts of knick-knacks and science gear, so I have a ready supply of packing materials to reuse too).

I also researched sending a set of bumpers cross-country, and Greyhound was by far the cheapest for the bulky items. Their size and weight limits are not really an issue unless you're sending something really heavy or really big. You would have to manufacture your own crate though.

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,308 Posts
I had the same experience with a storefront UPS franchise.
I was quoted $ 70 or so to ship a bumper, but my account was charged $160.
The shipper had cushioned the bumper inside the box with '8 prepaid post office boxes.'
Complaining to UPS with pics from the recipient just got me the big runaround.
A UPS operated hub might be better.
Perhaps, the privately owned store fronts should offer condoms and vaseline....
We send the same sized items many times from Cincinnati, Ohio to NYC. The UPS franchise quoted more than two times the price of the identical item as the price from the UPS hub. I assume it is dishonesty on the part of the franchisee.

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
26 Posts
Not being one to leave it alone when I ought...
I just this week had a UPS guy show up at the house with my package from Autohaus.
Fine and good, I wasn't that excited to receive my brand-spanking new antenna seal (among other small parts) anyway, but I had to turn the guy away because the C.O.D. charge for tarrifs and duty (a whopping $8) couldn't be paid in cash. Just what the hell does COD stand for? My dear old dad taught me it was CASH ON Delivery. First, they never tell us what the charge will be (their fault), and okay, I shunned credit cards a couple of years ago (my fault), but this guy was as pissed as I was and thought the "new" policy was pretty lame. He came by the next day and took a cheque, and we both shook our heads and laughed over it.
I have to say that Greyhound is a novel idea for me and will certainly be considered for oversized and/or overweight packages.

Wow! I feel better. Moaning and groaning at you guys is cheaper than therapy or drinking!!

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
26 Posts
Wait a second, I just re-read the thread ElRojo did you write that you're shipping DOORS through the mail? I didn't even know that was possible.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,216 Posts
Don't laugh but i have to sometimes use "Bongo International" shipping Agents for some parts i buy from sellers who won't ship international, as Bongo provides me with a USA address and they just re-direct packages on receipt to me in Australia.
The downfall is Bongo will only use DHL express and wont use any other shipper or method.

I have an Auto Trans pressure gauge worth US$36 sitting at Bongo's office now with a billeable dimensional weight of 2.02lbs and only a small package (14" x 8" x 3" actual weight 1.35lbs)
They have quoted me US$100.86 which includes 0.73c insurance to ship to Australia (Via DHL express)
It is just insane and a total rip-off. I have complained bitterly to Bongo but they don't care and just reply with a one-liner quoting Policy of only using DHL express.

So for those outside the States with the same problem with certain suppliers don't go near the Bongo option.

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
26 Posts
KRH, I feel your pain. I had a buddy across the border who would serve as a mail drop for me, and I'd get down there and just pick up my stuff. It is easier to have a domestic address in the states.

And David (ElRojo), I didn't recognise your handle. Have I told you lately how great that zebrano piece is? I'll be back when I need stuff in the future!!

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Wait a second, I just re-read the thread ElRojo did you write that you're shipping DOORS through the mail? I didn't even know that was possible.
Nope. Door TRIMs... the chrome strips that run along the base of the window. Yeah, sending a whole door (esp. an SEC door) through USPS might be challenging...

Oh, and thanks for the plug-- this JY habit of mine is a nice way to spread the karma, and it helps pay for the maintenance on my car... so let me know when you need somethin'!

I have an Auto Trans pressure gauge worth US$36 sitting at Bongo's office now with a billeable dimensional weight of 2.02lbs and only a small package (14" x 8" x 3" actual weight 1.35lbs)
They have quoted me US$100.86 which includes 0.73c insurance to ship to Australia (Via DHL express)
It is just insane and a total rip-off. I have complained bitterly to Bongo but they don't care and just reply with a one-liner quoting Policy of only using DHL express.

So for those outside the States with the same problem with certain suppliers don't go near the Bongo option.
Damn, KRH-- I sent a package to Australia just about exactly that size about a month ago, and it was under $15. It arrived in 8 days. Maybe I should open up "ElRojo International" and help others out!!

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
26 Posts
Geez ElRojo, I don't think KRH wants to hear THAT!! lol

"I sent a grille to Smack a fellow member via UPS and was charged (drum roll)...."
Maybe I'm too tired and ought to go to bed, but this strikes me as hillarious!!!!

Well of COURSE you were charged. You shouldn't be smacking fellow members by UPS or any other method!!

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,484 Posts

Complete Euro front bumper in perfect condition..

US mail worked for AU, UPS, FedEx, etc prices were very high.
Greyhound should be low cost alternative, provided items are well packaged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts