Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked my 1991 560SEL up from the port - It's been in transit from Alabama to Hawaii for the last month or so. As the title states, I found that the upper rear corner of the driver door is no longer flush with the upper front corner of the rear driver side door.

It appears to me the someone somewhere along the way had to break in to the vehicle to retrieve the key, having locked it inside the car. Now the door does not sit flush, and what's worse, it sounds like my window is down while I'm driving.

I have filed a claim with the shipping company, but if it goes through I expect they will merely pay me cash and tell me to pound sand.

My question is this:
Does anyone have any suggestions for properly fixing the door? Can I carefully bend it back in small increments until it sits flush again? Thanks in advance!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,362 Posts
Rubbish. So are you meaning the uppermost corner, as in what constitutes the window frame?

MB did have a service bulletin back in the day I think, to slightly bend these in. Complaints were made about wind noise and this rectified it apparently. So, if you did it right I expect you could sort it by bending. Obviously get cash too though, they effed with your classic car.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,362 Posts
Eesh. But yeah just bend it gently back in I guess. I wonder what the dealers used to do.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,059 Posts
where are you located....a good dent guy or body guy should be able to sort it

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
318 Posts
It's not too bad, just roll down the window, open and brace the door with your knee then grasp the corner of the frame with both hands and pull in. It does take a bit of effort but not too much just go slow and after you tug on the frame a bit close the door and see how far the frame moved in. Do this a few times and the window frame should be back in place within a few minutes, I've done this to re-align the pass door frame on mine.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,000 Posts
That is unforgivable.

I'm with others on trying to bend the frame back. Be sure to lower the window first! And go slowly. Find a way to get plenty of controlled leverage.

I also agree that a good body shop could probably do this for you if you're uncomfortable.

Hard to believe a moving company would do this and not stand behind it. Especially a classic Mercedes.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,888 Posts
Bending metal is an art, once a piece of pre-formed or pre-pressed metal has been bent from its original fabricated shape it is directionally heading towards a point where it can yield, which is not good as it weakens it.

Bending it back is certainly possible but could make it worse as well and it may never fit and function as the original fabricated panel as the bent panel has a new "spring" to it and in the case acts like a cantilever. To bend it back to the original shape will require the use of a strap through (or rather around) the frame with both driver and passenger side windows down and a come-along attached to a pole or something that will not move, you have to really take your time and be steady as you go otherwise you could do more damage.

At the end of the day, this should not be your problem, but if you can get a decent cash settlement and you can really properly repair the door, go for it, otherwise I would be seeking out a replacement door and then more than likely you will have to color match the entire side of the car unless you get so lucky you can find an identical color door.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,492 Posts
You won’t get a decent cash settlement. Shipping companies have protected themselves very well with the fine print.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
964 Posts
Just bend it back into place. I worked in dealerships all my life and have done that many time without problem.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
172 Posts
40 years in the auto body business with a Mercedes-Benz sub-specialty leads me to agree with other opinions about rolling down the window and manipulating it into proper alignment. I have had the best success by opening the door and "latching" it with a screwdriver and then pushing the top corner of the door against the car using the striker as the pivot point. That corner moves easily as long as the window is down. Sometimes we use a block of wood to give us more spacing from the body.

We quit using the "put your knee against the inside panel and pull it toward you from the top corner" after one of my guys got a little carried away and put a hole in the interior door panel (door card).

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,509 Posts
A tow truck guy who had bent many doors gaining access told me his secret to fixing this - roll down the window and attach ratchet straps to door so that when you tighten them it pulls the window frame in.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
556 Posts
A tow truck guy who had bent many doors gaining access told me his secret to fixing this - roll down the window and attach ratchet straps to door so that when you tighten them it pulls the window frame in.
where do the ratchet straps attach to, specifically?

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,509 Posts
You wrap around the entire door , top to bottom, then start ratcheting tight until the top frame bends in

1 - 16 of 16 Posts