Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1986 280 GE lwb
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the brakes serviced last week. Front disks were sent to be smoothed, not sure what the right word. They were put on a lathe and the surface was evend out on bothe sides. Pads were no changed as they had plenty of material left.
Now at speeds of 80 kmh the G has a front
end shimy and when pressing brake it shakes violently. But just a that aproximate speed.
This of course was not the case before the brakes getting serviced.
I think the mechanic unbolted the 2 bolts holding the front brake line braket to remove the calipers.
Or maybe the disks are now to thin and warped due to heat??

thks.
Mike

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
For my money, start again with new discs and pads.
They arent too expensive,not in the UK any way, also check out wheel bearings, swivel bearings and wheel balance.

·
Registered
98 C-230, 07 C-280 4matic
82 Posts
The shimmy may be a manifestation of over-turned rotors as well. When they are turned, the process removes metal making the rotors suseptable to warping when heated. Usually noted only mildly at first, then it progresses if the brakes are heated (i.e. driving down a long hill and hitting the brakes often).

Ask the mechanic what the rotors (in MM) were taken down to. Someone on the forum should have a manual and can quote the "replace" value (i.e. the value below which you should replace the rotors.

Good luck,

weberdocs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts