Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where Can I purchase shims and what sizes are there and what is the best size for a w126???

Thanks

·
Registered
85' 500sel
423 Posts
Shim sizes go from 9mm ,14mm,19mm and 23mm. Most places only have 9mm and 14mm for the fronts and 14mm, 19mm, 23mmm for the rears. The ones you use all depend on how much you want to lower or raise your car. Like if the drivers side is lower than the passanger side , you will use a thicker shim to raise that one side to make the car even .

To find some shim just do a search for MB parts and most of them have them under Suspension category.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr B, would I be able to go 9mm all around with H&R springs? or will there be rubbing? I wanted however the front lower than the back and was thinking about 9 in the front and 14 in the back but if the 9mm shim adjustment will cause rudding I would just go 14 all the way around, want it to be as low as possible

·
Registered
85' 500sel
423 Posts
Mark...No you cant go 9mm all the way around because they dont carry those size shim for the rear. And the rubbing issue all depends on what size rims your gonna run. I have 18's and had rubbing issues with 9mm shims , I wound up using 23mm in the front , now dip are not that much of a problem.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I carry all the shims, I usually run 2 nib shims to start. You Should measure the height of your car from left to right, 126's oftern like to lean towards the drivers side. With that in mind you can shim it out so your car will sit closer even.

BTW, watch out for your oil pan when you get REally low.. I've hit two already. I'll be installing a skid plate on my SEC Soon!

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,247 Posts
Jonathan,

Could you explain what you mean by "..2 nib to start with."?

Do you start witht the thinnest and move up in size until there is no rubbing, or is it the other way around?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, I have yet to set a car up so aggressivly that it rubs (running 18's around atlanta is a sure way to get bent rims...). I just start w/ a middle of the line shi, it's just what made sense to me:p Usually, I'm mixing and matching from side to side, ie, 1 nibs on the passenger side, two's on the drivers..

I also figure that the shims do serve to keep some of the harshness/vibration out of the chassis.

Jonathan

·
Registered
78 240D
56 Posts
I would be careful with using the thinnest shims. It wont make a HUGE difference in ride height, but the ride quality will be dramatically reduced. Remember, the difference between the thinnest and the thickest shim is only 14mm, which is .55 of an inch. (not alot) I have heard stories where people have used the thinnest shims on stock springs, and it rode worse than H&R springs with the thickest shims. I too was going to use the thinnest shims, but stuck with my 4 nub ones when I lowered my 380SEL, and have been happy with the results.

·
Registered
Perlmuttgrau 300SEL
1,006 Posts
Ive just slid some number ones over my H&R's up front. Getting the alignment done this morning, after letting sit overnight. Will let you guys know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,242 Posts
1985 500 SEC, H&R springs, stock shocks (for now), 2 nub/nap up front, 3 nub/nap in the rear, 18X8 lorinser all the way around, 245-40's, rolled front fenders, no rubbing, no grinding, but a lot of smile.

http://mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1250968&posts=22&fid=12

Attachments

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,208 Posts
For 48 HP. I am banging up my 16 x 8's up badly enough on L.A. potholes. What is your offset, with 245's mounted? Thanks, Horst K

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,242 Posts
HorstK. ET18 all around. I initially had some slight rubbing during aggressive turns on the right front fender, rolling the inner lip took care of that.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
jack the car up, slip in a baseball bat at the midsection of the wheel, slowly lower the car, roll the baseball bat slowly along the edge of the tire, and presto! rolled fenders. just be very careful as to the height of the car in correlation to the thickness of the bat. you are simply crimping the inside edge of the fender..

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
that's the same thing as a baseball bat.. used in the right hands, you can achieve much better results with a bat. i mean, if your willing to spend $300 for something you'll use once, then why not just take the car to a proffesional bodyshop and pay less to have them do it!

(what you don't know is they will use a baseball bat too :rolleyes: )

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,599 Posts
Maybe at Bubba Joe's World of Customs they do but a reputable body shop will have them. You're reminiscing of shadetree modding VW's again :rolleyes:

Furthermore,the results from the proper tool are way better than any Louisville Slugger can deliver!

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
blasphemy!!! i never had any trees for shade when i had a GTI fall of the jackstand in the middle of installing my freshly built head! hahaha.. all i can say is i spent $20 for a bat, rolled em, came out flawless, and my GTI didn't rub or get any dimples in the fender.. and that thing was a little more than a half a cigarette pack off the ground with a mean offset! :eek: i also did this on my raked 280 with no worries..

·
Registered
1989 US 560SEL ( CA version )
49 Posts
My US 560 install AMG 17" Aero I ET11.. ( HR spring + Koni ). The tier rubbing arc.. ( front 4 nub + rear 3 nub.. )

My solution is funny... change front arc to Euro Spec.

Also My friend Euro 560 install AMD 17" Aero I ET 28 ( HR spring + Koni ) ( front 2 nub + rear 3 nub ).. his car running very well not rubbing arc issue...

When you want install HR spring or low down.. I think big issue are your wheel " ET XX ".. If you wheel ET up 25 to 30 sure be no rubbing issue.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts