Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 00 c230k with 115k on it. a few days ago it started shifting funny like around 2nd or 3rd. it will keep revving and wont go to the next gear unless i let go of the gas let it drop to a little over 2000 rpm give it gas and then it will engage but not smooth. then the next morning it drove fine for about 15 min and it started to slip again.later that day it wouldn't shift to the next gear it just kept revving so i just coasted a few few feet tapping the the gas and it finally shifted but then after that it wouldn't change gears again it was just stuck in 2nd or 3rd. i tried to use the shifter left or right when this happens it just stays in D.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When mine went out it was the 2-3 shift that first started to go. Find a used low miles transmission if you can, but The 2000 c230 is unique - it features Touchshift, ESP, BAS, and maybe Tempomat, that will make it very hard to find a used gearbox that works. Changing your fluid is a necessity if it has never been done, but a fluid change won't fix your worn out clutches.

My car was a real looker when I got her, one owner lady-driven, but it had never had any maintenance. It needed a new master cylinder, new yaw position sensor, and a new transmission.

I had the transmission rebuilt and am very happy with the results. Before I got the transmission rebuilt I flushed and refilled the transmission fluid twice, which was a waste of money. Aamco can fix a Mercedes transmission.
A brand new gearbox will cost about $4500. A quality rebuild will be $1500-2500 depending on what is involved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When mine went out it was the 2-3 shift that first started to go. Find a used low miles transmission if you can, but The 2000 c230 is unique - it features Touchshift, ESP, BAS, and maybe Tempomat, that will make it very hard to find a used gearbox that works. Changing your fluid is a necessity if it has never been done, but a fluid change won't fix your worn out clutches.

My car was a real looker when I got her, one owner lady-driven, but it had never had any maintenance. It needed a new master cylinder, new yaw position sensor, and a new transmission.

I had the transmission rebuilt and am very happy with the results. Before I got the transmission rebuilt I flushed and refilled the transmission fluid twice, which was a waste of money. Aamco can fix a Mercedes transmission.
A brand new gearbox will cost about $4500. A quality rebuild will be $1500-2500 depending on what is involved.

Is the BAS light transmission related?? I though it had to do with the brakes...
Please let me know as my BAS is on.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
A funny shifting transmission is not conclusive proof that the transmission is toast.

The 722.6 transmission is electrical and the problem could simply be the 13-pin connector to the transmission which is leaking or a faulty conductor plate which houses sensors responsible for gear changes.

Please get the codes read and post on here before doing anything.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree, bad shifting could come from several places.

The shifter is an electronic shifter, which tells the trans what gear its in. Inside the shifter is the transmission range recognition switch. This can go bad with liquid spillage. The unit is rebuildable.

Another idea, I read recently, about resetting the gearing in the transmission. I don't remember who wrote it, so i can't give the proper respects, but I copied it down, here is what he said :

Please, if you are going to give directions on how to do something... let's not break it down to one line. Because, what you have said will definitely damage ones car.

And you have not even come close to the correct procedure.

Here is the correct procedure:

The quick way to reset the transmission and throttle body communications (which is where a lot of shifting weirdness lies) is to do the following step by step:

1. Get in and shut the door
2. Turn key to position 2 (right before the start position) DO NOT START THE CAR
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor... past the kick down point... see why I say DO NOT START THE CAR!??!
4. Hold the pedal there for 15 seconds
5. After 15 seconds while foot still planted, turn the key off but do not remove it
6. Release gas pedal... and get ready to be bored
7. Wait at least 2 minutes while not touching anything in the car, don't open the door even.
8. After the 2 minutes start the car and drive off normally... you should notice a difference in the shift pattern and smoothness.​

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts