Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'06 ML350
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, I had to have the ML towed because it shifted into neutral while accellerating to cross an intersection. It did it to my wife and I replicated the behavior another 4 times before calling for a tow truck.

The service folks replaced the valve assembly and flashed the software to the latest version. Up until today, everything was fine.

I was exiting a parking lot and had to cross traffic, so I could join my lane going left. Once I crossed traffic and had barely made it into my lane, the car shifted into neutral and lost power to the wheels. I looked back to see how far the next car was when I felt a big jolt forward, just as if someone had rammed me from behind. I thought someone had rear-ended me, but it was the transmission.

Lucky for me, the street I was on had a middle lane and the two cars following me were able to go around me. I put the car back into gear and took off.

Needless to say, I've lost my confidence in MB and I'm looking into lemon laws. This is a major safety issue for me and I'm not going to subject my family to this uncertainty.

Does anyone know of any repurchases because of the transmission issue? Do I have to get into an accident for something to happen?

Also, does anyone have any contacts at MB that can help me get this settled quickly? If so, please PM me.

·
Registered
ML320CDi
36 Posts
MB has still not properly worked out the software of the new 7-speed transmission. I have constant troubles with a jerking or lagging tranny. To me it seems only at full load that the transmission is working smoothly. The chef mechanic of my MB dealer has confirmed that this is a software problem and MB is working hard on it to solve it. He also said that the new transmission now allows "adapting" on every trip, not on a longer period of time. Wherez the time that an auto transmission is doing what it suppose to do: shifting, NOT adapting :(

Dropping by your dealer regularly and asking for software update seems to be the only solution for now...

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,162 Posts
Software?

itsme said:
MB has still not properly worked out the software of the new 7-speed transmission. I have constant troubles with a jerking or lagging tranny. To me it seems only at full load that the transmission is working smoothly. The chef mechanic of my MB dealer has confirmed that this is a software problem and MB is working hard on it to solve it. He also said that the new transmission now allows "adapting" on every trip, not on a longer period of time. Wherez the time that an auto transmission is doing what it suppose to do: shifting, NOT adapting :(

Dropping by your dealer regularly and asking for software update seems to be the only solution for now...
If it's software, whiy is it that mine (and many others) works perfectly?

·
Registered
'06 ML350
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could answer Greg's post or find a logical explanation for the problem.
On one hand, this is probably not a mechanical issue, otherwise it would happen all the time. On the other, if it's a software thing, then why didn't it get fixed on my previous visit where they supposedly replaced the valve assembly and flashed the software?

My concern right now is that they'll drive the car for 100 miles and won't be able to replicate the problem, just like some folks in this forum have mentioned. I don't even know if there are any fault codes.

What am I supposed to do then? Wait until the next time this happens and get into an accident? Do I need third party witnesses to testify that there is a problem with the car? I'm not looking to get out of my car, I just want to feel safe when I drive it...

·
Registered
ML350, E46 M3 Convertible, Mini Cooper
76 Posts
I've had this happen one time and I thought that I "accidentally" shifted it to neutral. Seems that there is a problem but I can never replicate what happened.
But I am subscribing to this ...

·
Registered
ML320CDi
36 Posts
GregW / Oregon said:
If it's software, whiy is it that mine (and many others) works perfectly?
Dont ask me, ask MB. This problem has been confirmed by the biggest MB dealer in my country as well as several other dealerships. It concerns all cars with th new 7-speed automatic, E-class, S-class as well. Changing the valve assy doesnt help, its purely the software.

I do feel safe in the car, its just annoying...

PS
Seems Im not the only one Greg; check this thread out: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w219-cls-class/1230853-cls500-transmission-problems-anyone.html

·
Registered
ML500 2006
60 Posts
dimitriss said:
About a month ago, I had to have the ML towed because it shifted into neutral while accellerating to cross an intersection. It did it to my wife and I replicated the behavior another 4 times before calling for a tow truck.

The service folks replaced the valve assembly and flashed the software to the latest version. Up until today, everything was fine.

I was exiting a parking lot and had to cross traffic, so I could join my lane going left. Once I crossed traffic and had barely made it into my lane, the car shifted into neutral and lost power to the wheels. I looked back to see how far the next car was when I felt a big jolt forward, just as if someone had rammed me from behind. I thought someone had rear-ended me, but it was the transmission.

Lucky for me, the street I was on had a middle lane and the two cars following me were able to go around me. I put the car back into gear and took off.

Needless to say, I've lost my confidence in MB and I'm looking into lemon laws. This is a major safety issue for me and I'm not going to subject my family to this uncertainty.

Does anyone know of any repurchases because of the transmission issue? Do I have to get into an accident for something to happen?

Also, does anyone have any contacts at MB that can help me get this settled quickly? If so, please PM me.
This is a serious matter. My only hope is that MB fix this problem before some body get hurt,having said that i have not experienced any problems with my ML.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US.
Regards,
sanjay

·
Registered
06 ML350
492 Posts
I guess I should consider myself lucky, just as Greg, I do not have any tranny issues either.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sanjaymerchant do make sure you check the thred to CLS class given by itsme
or try Benzworld.org - Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W219 CLS Class » CLS500 Transmission problems anyone?
You will see lots of folk with problems with the 7 speed transmission, and some who have been given new auto boxes and even new cars by Mercedes. Good contacts at Customer Service are also given. Good luck. A print out of the CLS threads is all the proof you need.

·
Registered
'06 ML350
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got a call from the SA saying that they drove the car for 70 miles and could not replicate the problem. The guy sounded upbeat "The car is ready for you to pick up..." I specifically told the SA that I narrowly missed an accident and it took him 30 hours to simply call me back and say he didn't find any fault codes. I would at least expect him to take the whole transmission apart since this is a safety issue, but no, a cursory inspection was sufficient...

I have lost faith in the safety of this vehicle. I've spent an entire day looking around the web and if the posts are correct, the problem happens between 2nd and 3rd gear. That is exactly the shift point that a car needs most when a) entering a freeway or b) accelerating to enter a busy street.

I am not willing to play with my family's lives, including that of my 6 yr old daughter, regardless of how safe the vehicle is in case of an accident. The idea is not to get into an accident in the firtst place. I only own one vehicle and it needs to pass muster in the safety area.

I don't have time for litigation, expert mechanics and all the other time sinks this is going to involve. I will sell the vehicle back to MB, or trade it in for a new Porsche or BMW. I'm done with MB!

If anyone wants to buy my lemon, let me know...

(sorry for my rant, but I'm upset) :mad:

·
Registered
386 Posts
hawk20 said:
Sanjaymerchant do make sure you check the thred to CLS class given by itsme
or try Benzworld.org - Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum > Mercedes-Benz Coupe/Convertible Forums > W219 CLS Class » CLS500 Transmission problems anyone?
You will see lots of folk with problems with the 7 speed transmission, and some who have been given new auto boxes and even new cars by Mercedes. Good contacts at Customer Service are also given. Good luck. A print out of the CLS threads is all the proof you need.
This should have read for dimitriss. Sorry.

·
Registered
386 Posts
dimitriss said:
I just got a call from the SA saying that they drove the car for 70 miles and could not replicate the problem. The guy sounded upbeat "The car is ready for you to pick up..." I specifically told the SA that I narrowly missed an accident and it took him 30 hours to simply call me back and say he didn't find any fault codes. I would at least expect him to take the whole transmission apart since this is a safety issue, but no, a cursory inspection was sufficient...

I have lost faith in the safety of this vehicle. I've spent an entire day looking around the web and if the posts are correct, the problem happens between 2nd and 3rd gear. That is exactly the shift point that a car needs most when a) entering a freeway or b) accelerating to enter a busy street.

I am not willing to play with my family's lives, including that of my 6 yr old daughter, regardless of how safe the vehicle is in case of an accident. The idea is not to get into an accident in the firtst place. I only own one vehicle and it needs to pass muster in the safety area.

I don't have time for litigation, expert mechanics and all the other time sinks this is going to involve. I will sell the vehicle back to MB, or trade it in for a new Porsche or BMW. I'm done with MB!

If anyone wants to buy my lemon, let me know...

(sorry for my rant, but I'm upset) :mad:
Don't let the buggers get you down It's a fantastic vehicle once the bugs are out. See Wolfgangs reply above. Notice they have done a TSB for the 211 (new S class with 7 speed auto like yours). Could you show that to your dealer. The CLS threads are more ammo for you. Merc know about the problem hence the 211 TSB and the car and gearbox replacements on the CLS forum. One phone call to Merc Customer Service might solve it all. Or maybe show the threads to your dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wolfgang said:
Finally MB issues the TSB for the 164 ML, R, GL mentioning the circlip.

Issued: Thu, Jun 1, 2006
TSB Number: T-27-60-62C
Title: Auto Trans - Rough 1-2, 3-2, 2-1 Gearshifts
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1149145200000_1149750000000_T-27-60-62C/index.html

This TSB might resolve transmission issues which previous updating of the software only, or software and valvebody did not fix.
Well done Wolfgang keeping your eye on these things. But why do Mercedes do this? They admit problems on the CLS with the 7 speed box and on the new S class but then pretend on the M class there are no problems. Counter-productive and thanks to this forum fooling nobody.

·
Registered
06 ML350 in Europe & 12 GL Bluetec Avantgarde in Canada
48 Posts
Hi Hawk,

Actually the first page of the TSB mentions the W164....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Eubios said:
Hi Hawk,

Actually the first page of the TSB mentions the W164....
Yes, but before this TSB they were telling ML owners did not know of any problems with the 7 speed box. Hope your new ML is a good 'un. I drove one recently. Huge step forward from old model. Ride is mega better. More legroom in front too. Enjoy.

·
Registered
06 ML350 in Europe & 12 GL Bluetec Avantgarde in Canada
48 Posts
Hi Hawk,

Almost 1000 Km and so far smooth as silk. Extremely quiet too, compared to W163. Runs on 18" Michelin Latitude - maybe this is also a factor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts