Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300GD SWB
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have just bought a 1983 280GE automatic, this being my first automatic ever I have no idea how they work.
I hope you can answer a few questions.

When shifting into lowbox (Ga) should I put the main box in N?
and in N when shifting to SA again?
Should the vehicle be rolling gently or be at a standstill?

It also seems like there are only 3 gears in the autobox, I can feel only 2 changes take place.
It revs at about 3600 revs/min at 70 MPH, is this normal? I have always driven diesels and they revved a bit lower than that.

Is there anyway to check if all 4 gears work on my G?

And finally, it has done only 69000 miles from new.

Thanks for your help, I got the difflocks sorted by putting a secondhand mastercylinder on it.

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
1988 300 GD STT LWB
585 Posts
The Benz auto boxes start in 2 gear unless forced into 1 with the gear selector. The petrol benzes also revs very high, so I wouldnt worry too much unless you really feel it's wrong. It is an inline six and the power is in the high revs.

My G is a manual, but I always clutch when changing transfer gears. The transfer is synchronized, so you really shouldnt have to, but I just feel comfortable doing it. You should anyways stand still or be rolling very slowly before engaging GA. The engine will rev into redline _very_ quickly in GA.

If you dont know when the auto box was serviced, give it a oil change and a new filter. One thing less to worry about ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts