Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little discussion had me all confused so I thought I'd start a thread on it rather than hijack two. [:D] So I went for a good test drive and here's what I came up with.

Gears

L is only for first gear.
S is for both 2nd and 3rd gear. Downshifts to 2nd gear when kickdown is activated.
D is for 3rd and 4th gear. Downshifts to 3rd gear when kickdown is activated.

So the car does start in 1st gear, as I feel 3 shift points. When in D and cruisin', you're in 4th gear. I believe this is so to minimize fuel consumption and prevent the engine from racing/revving too much.

Minimal Power

My car shifts from 1st to 2nd early when I step on the accelerator gently, around 10mph. Then from 2nd to 3rd around 20mph. Then from 3rd to 4th at around 30mph. This is really gently acceleration, no rush, no hurry, taking my time.

Kickdown

When I'm cruising at 30mph and I floor the pedal, it downshifts to 3rd gear and reaches 3000rpm.

When I'm at a slow 20-25mph and I floor the pedal, it downshifts to 2nd gear. (forgot what rpm)

Maximum Power

From a stop light I can estimate that the car shifts from 1st to 2nd at roughly 25mph max. 2nd to 3rd at 45mph max. 3rd to 4th at roughly 60mph max.

I adjusted the bowden cable so that when I floor the pedal, it downshifts to 3rd gear firmly and readily at 35mph max. One time I was able to do it at 40mph max, but this was another occasion. I accelerate up to around 60mph and feel a very slight shift to 4th.

If you're all wondering, I'm just sharing my side as I haven't fully looked into the transmission until now. Are these the correct shifting points and properties? I know the speedometer has markings for the proper shift points, but my speedo is off by 10mph. Did I adjust it properly? I have yet to adjust its nudge when it shifts. Maybe the modulator needs some turnin'.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
try putting it in L and holding the throttle full and see what happens

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
i do it every day. L is for 1st and AND 2nd gear when in L it shifts at higher rpms to second gear, for towing perposes and stuff. I wouldnt tell u to do soemthing that would ruin the transmission. Everything i tell you is from firsthand experiance. I may look like a crazy punk with my hair spiked 9 inches high but i dont lie and im honest. So there ya go, go try it and see what happens, unless the guy that rebuilt ur tranny messed up.[:O]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know you won't say anything that would ruin the car, but when I tried it a while ago (I did reach 3000rpm) the transmission was stuck at 1st. Maybe I'll try it again. I'm pretty sure that the car wouldn't go past 20mph on my speedo and the engine was revving at 2500-3000rpm. I was expecting you'd say that it would pop into 2nd gear, yes. Let me try it again... I'll report back in a few mins [:D]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So a few minutes turned to a few hours. "The Interpreter" was good [:D]

Here's what I have to say. My car does the same thing and does not shift to 2nd when you drop it to L. It will rev really high and you'll feel engine brake when you let off the pedal. Shifting to S will send it to 2nd gear and if you step on it, it will soon shift to 3rd.

It does not sound, feel or look wrong at all. Anybody can enlighten me on this? Is L really just for first gear? I find it odd because Obaja's will shift to 2nd in L as he claims. Hmmm...[?]

I guess there's a reason why the D and S on the shifter are easily interchangeable. Just push up/down to get into D/S. L gear needs a knotch to get into.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it seems my car does not upshift to 2nd when in L. Now is this a problem?? I really don't feel a shift to 2nd gear when I'm in L. When I manually shift to S the car shifts to 2nd, and eventually to 3rd. Obviously, if this shifting happens then L is stuck in 1st gear.

What's wrong??

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Dude, nothings wrong. just hold it full throttle and it will shift around 4200 rpms. dont go the 3000 then get scared. S is for 3rd gear.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
My car shift great now too!

There is one weird thing. My car used to shift from 1st to 2nd at around 2400 to 2500 rpm's and would give you whiplash sometimes as the turbo had just kicked in combined with a hard shift. Now my car (thanks to karugs) shifts at about 2000 rpm from 1st to 2nd and it is really smooth. The weird part is when I hit the peddle a little harder from a stop the car shifts from 1st to 2nd around 2800 to 3000 rpm, turbo well engaged, and the shift is still silky smooth. What gives? I thought all I did by adjusting that white nut (bowden cable?) was change the timing of the shift. I thought the vacumme modulator on the transmission was for adjusting the "quality" of the shift, (hard or soft).

I don't really care as my car rides super nice now, but it seems to shift a little early. I will be in 3rd gear before I get through an intersection :) But it has plenty of power so all must be well?

Last question is this, is it possible to use the kick down button twice? I mean if you are in 4th and you are going up a hill can you floor it and have it shift to 3rd then let up a little and if you start to slow down again can you floor it again to make it shift to second? I had this experiance and I let off the gas a little to get it to down shift, which only made it that much harder to keep my speed going up hill. I may have blown my one and only chance to try it in real life [:)]

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

oh and karugs I think the dots on the speedometer are for max speeds in that gear. But I could be wrong, have to read the manual again [:D]

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
To make mine smooth I had to make it shift sooner. Shifting sooner makes it shift with fewer rpm's. That has ment less "kick" when shifting for me at least. To make it shift sooner screw the white nut in, to make it shift later unscrew it. It took me about 4 turn in to get it where I have it now and it is really smooth. I think I might try to uncrew it maybe one turn and give that a go for awhile. My car is in fourth gear by 35 mph now [:D]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
obaja - 4/22/2005 1:40 AM

Dude, nothings wrong. just hold it full throttle and it will shift around 4200 rpms. dont go the 3000 then get scared. S is for 3rd gear.
Makes sense, since I adjusted the bowden to shift quite a bit later. At what engine speed does yours shift to 2nd?

Mike, I'm not sure either but I think those dots are the intended shift points. In this regard, you can only use the kickdown switch once the gear is below its intended speeds. Above it and it won't downshift. I posted earlier that I can downshift from 3rd to 2nd at low speeds and when I stab on the pedal (like in a hurry).

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Makes sense, since I adjusted the bowden to shift quite a bit later. At what engine speed does yours shift to 2nd?

Mike, I'm not sure either but I think those dots are the intended shift points. In this regard, you can only use the kickdown switch once the gear is below its intended speeds. Above it and it won't downshift. I posted earlier that I can downshift from 3rd to 2nd at low speeds and when I stab on the pedal (like in a hurry).
Sooooo, did it shift to 2nd? i will see what rpms mine shifts to second in, i keep forgeting, plus i never get my engine to full temp since i just go to work and back wich is 1 min away from my house. So i will try. Hey check your PM'S i sent you a message, karugs.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, I was out today and smoked a Civic lol. Wasn't able to test it (plus it was raining--tire slips). But I noticed that when I shifted to 4th gear along the freeway on ramp it was at high rpms. And it shifted at around 50-60mph (was paying attention to traffic more).

Hmm, and my kickdown is now able to downshift at a good 35mph. Last time I checked (yesterday) it was at 30. I even was able to do a second downshift, like Mike asked, starting at 40mph! [:0] That Diesel Purge might have induced lots of adrenaline to my car lately. [:D]

Hey I didn't receive any PM from you.

Tomorrow, if it stops raining, I hope to test it. It seems that one time I was starting off a light, and the car was rolling very slowly, then I floored it and downshifted perhaps to second. It revved quite high (3000+) before shifting to third. No cop this time. Tonight was the first time I saw dozens of cop cars! Plus you can't recognize them when they're behind except for the yellow lights on their headlights (foglamps?) that signature it as a Crown Vic.

Hey I'm sure you know this by now, but don't rev the engine when it's cold. You can test it when it's warmed up. I don't wanna ruin yer newly rebuilt engine just because I want to know at what rpm it shifts to 2nd gear. Thanks.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
karugs - 4/24/2005 3:51 AM

Nope, I was out today and smoked a Civic lol. Wasn't able to test it (plus it was raining--tire slips). But I noticed that when I shifted to 4th gear along the freeway on ramp it was at high rpms. And it shifted at around 50-60mph (was paying attention to traffic more).

Hmm, and my kickdown is now able to downshift at a good 35mph. Last time I checked (yesterday) it was at 30. I even was able to do a second downshift, like Mike asked, starting at 40mph! [:0] That Diesel Purge might have induced lots of adrenaline to my car lately. [:D]

Hey I didn't receive any PM from you.

Tomorrow, if it stops raining, I hope to test it. It seems that one time I was starting off a light, and the car was rolling very slowly, then I floored it and downshifted perhaps to second. It revved quite high (3000+) before shifting to third. No cop this time. Tonight was the first time I saw dozens of cop cars! Plus you can't recognize them when they're behind except for the yellow lights on their headlights (foglamps?) that signature it as a Crown Vic.

Hey I'm sure you know this by now, but don't rev the engine when it's cold. You can test it when it's warmed up. I don't wanna ruin yer newly rebuilt engine just because I want to know at what rpm it shifts to 2nd gear. Thanks.
Trust me, of all people on this site i think im the major "Warm up freak" I start my car and let it run for about 1 min at idle, then i hold it at a high idle(1000) for about 2 min. I never start driving until the temp. gauge gets past the first mark, i think its 40. Thats if im in a hurry! Otherwise i just start it and go back in my house and finish getting ready. As for idling, i go in the bank and grocery stores letting my car idle. I have a spare key so i lock the door. People are always lookin at me weird but eh, i dont care. The most wear on a diesel engine is the first 30 seconds after it starts, especially when cold. When i left meguiars, i dont know if u noticed, but i let it warm up a good 3 minutes[|)]. Plus why waste the starter if i walk in the bank to cash a check and walk back out not more than 2 minutes later? i mean it doesnt even make sence. Here we go, i made a little quiz for you regarding my statement above[:p].

If i went to a fast food joint, what would i do? Drive through or walk-in.

Yeup, drive through it is. Its simple.

So, Thats how i treat MY ride,

<blink>M A R S H</blink>

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Karugs, can you post a pic of where this bowden cable is? When I floor my Coupe, 1st to 2nd seems fine, but 2nd to 3rd is hangs around 4,200 - 4,500 RPM. It doesnt shift. Stays there for a few seconds and then shifts. Maybe if I adjust it it would stop. Im in Florida right now, and I wont be home for an other week and a half, but when I get back Im going to want to tackle that.

It also burns out in second gear when floored. My blue Coupe did that too. But my blue Coupe was faster. I raced my friend, he has a Buick Skylark and I beat him with my blue Coupe. My new one I lost. Im kinda into speed. So maybe its something with this bowden cable.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Marsh, yeah I remember you guys were idling out until after a few minutes and off you went. It seems reasonable, considering you have a rebuilt engine. I'm pretty sure you want to let it run a few hundred thousand miles more. [:D]

I'll try my 1-2 shift from L today, after it's well warmed up of course.[:p]

Jim, here's a pic of the bowden cable. It seems you might have a 2-3 flaring (rpm rises but no increase in speed).

Attachments

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
obaja - 4/24/2005 11:47 AM
As for idling, i go in the bank and grocery stores letting my car idle.
Watch you don't get a ticket for that unattended idling. It's illegal most places I've been.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I also have two keys (a ‘driving’ key) and lock it while it’s running and in the store for a few minutes. Diesels are happy when running and I think more fuel is used restarting than idling.

Can’t agree with the long first start warm-up – you’re just wasting fuel. The best way to warm a cold diesel is to run it under load.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts