Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if shifters on an ML can be swapped between vehicles. My donor car, AKA The Cadaver, has a shifter with the rubber still attached while my car does not. Would it just be a plug and play swap or would it do something with the alarm/immobilizer?

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

W163 and General Mercedes Host
I'm not sure if shifters on an ML can be swapped between vehicles. My donor car, AKA The Cadaver, has a shifter with the rubber still attached while my car does not. Would it just be a plug and play swap or would it do something with the alarm/immobilizer?

Check the vins on both and look thru the epc.

Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
Discussion Starter #4
I think not the earlier did not have the 鈥済ear slect paddle shift鈥. The later used 1635459232
No mine does not have the "paddle shift". Would that mean it should just be a "plug and play" swap?

Registered
Dallas, Texas

Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
Discussion Starter #8
You can take it apart and replace the shutter. #80.

The shifter actually feels a little tighter on the donor car so I think I'll just swap them out, I do appreciate the suggestion though. I wouldn't have even considered about doing that.

Premium Member
1999 ML430
I would LOVE to drive a stick W163 !!

I know they are out there, but I have never seen one. Have not driven a stick since I sold my European delivery 1986 Porsche 944T. That was a turbo charged four cylinder. What a blast !!
Nothing like an eight cylinder for torque and acceleration. I would imagine a stick ML320 or ML430 would be an incredible ride with the four wheel drive and a clutch.

I know we have a lot of W163 lovers here in the states and the U.K., but if you really want to see a possessed owner group you need to go no further than Georgia. And I'm not talking about my Georgia here in the U.S !!

I'm referring to Georgia in the Caucasus area of Urasia bordering Russia ! A great owners club that really enjoy their W163's and most of it is in the woods with hill climbs/mud bogs and totally thrashing their vehicles. Most have already had their bumpers removed either by accident or on purpose to give greater ground clearance. Check it out !!

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
I would LOVE to drive a stick W163 !!

I know they are out there, but I have never seen one
Springer we both may need to be carefull what we wish for! Since this came up last I been trying to find out how many and where they went.

" An entry-level, manual transmission-only ML 230, fitted with a 2.3-litre inline-four was available in Europe from launch in March 1998 until 2000. "

Does not sound like too much fun.

Premium Member
1999 ML430
Granted... a four cylinder would be rather lackluster, but a six cylinder four or five speed would be SWEET, and I do not know if they offered any ML430's or ML55's in Europe.....Seems like all the ones in the video above are the ML320's...

W163 and General Mercedes Host
FYI side note:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts