Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S500
13 Posts
Mallet use

It may have been covered in this thread already but I am wondering what damage, if any, may be caused by bumping down on the shift lever. I was in the pick and pull last week and needed to get a car out of park so that I could remove the center console. I pulled the shift knob off and hit the top moderately sharply with a hammer and it moved easily out of Park and into any gear position that I tried. Once back in Park, it locked again and would not move until I hit it.

What's the damage potential? I'm afraid that if I was somewhere and the lever would not come out of Park, I'd be very tempted to try it just to get the car moving.
For what it's worth, I "malleted" the shifter about 7 times before performing the "remove stupid broken plastic part" operation and have witnessed no ill effects to date. I am not recommending hitting the shifter with a mallet, just relating my own personal experience.

·
Registered
2003 S500
13 Posts
Pin blocking the front shifter bolt

how can i get my pin to move so that i can get the nut at the base which is at the top out??
The trick is to remove the 2 nuts completely, then push the gear stick towards the reverse as much as you can push. This will give you enough room to engage the nut. Now keep pulling the shifter upwards as you unscrew the third nut.

get someone to help you in holding the gear stick down and to pull the shifter upwards.
After performing the repair, I just wanted to emphasize this point. It can be dis-spiriting to see that pin blocking the bolt after you've gotten that far into the repair.

In my case, turning the key to "on" allowed the shifter to move a little, which moved the pin enough so I could get to the bolt. I had NOT disconnected either of the electrical connections to the shifter box yet, which is apparently important to avoid getting an error/warning message after the repair. After removing the final bolt I turned the key to "off" and removed it before doing anything else.

·
Registered
2003 S500
13 Posts
Note on re-installing the center console

When attempting to re-install the center console, I could not get it into position because the front edge of the shifter assembly was blocking the front storage compartment in the console.

It could be that I'm just not that good at console-wrestling, but this is what I did to get the console in:

1. Remove the front storage compartment from the console. It is secured to the console with 2 torx screws. Remove those and slide the compartment back to remove.

2. Put the storage compartment in place (in front of the shifter assembly)

3. Put in the console

The storage compartment should fit and operate as it did before. Mine is tight, the door opens/closes as normal and I can't tell that it actually is not attached to the console.

·
W220 Moderator
7,230 Posts
Hi,

The correct way is to remove the "felt floor" trim from that front compartment, then, once the Console is back in, clip it back in :wink
It has little plastic built in clip lugs :wink

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1999 S600 W140 and 2002 S55 AMG W220, (previous: 1989 560SEL and 1995 / 1996 S500)
4,223 Posts
Wanted to bring this thread back, as I was wondering if anyone in SoCal has a shop they could recommend who has done this for them, or if there is a BenzWorld member who would be help me tackle this job on my W220. Please PM if interested

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2001 E320, 2004 S430
996 Posts
Is there anyway to view the photos on the first page?

I've heard that after replacing with a new MB shifter, it needs to be programmed. Can this be done by a SDS/DAS?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bumping this thread.

So I successfully took apart everything and fixed the plastic piece by swapping out with an aluminum one I found online.
After putting everything back together, I realized that my keyless go didn't work anymore. I could unlock the doors, but when I attempt to start the engine with the key in my pocket, no response. Car doesn't turn on or start. Any idea what's the issue? I plugged everything back in correctly.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,022 Posts
I ran into this with the project 2000 S500. Yes, that lever "nanny" is quite gone now. I saw no *good* reason to replace it; just another "nanny" to break and leave you stranded somewhere. That actually happened to my fiance with the S500 (she was stranded), and I used the hammer trick to get her home. Just drive properly, park properly, and watch what you're doing, and there shouldn't be a problem with removing that damned nanny lever. "Oh, but I have kids!" Then why are you leaving 'em in the car with the motor running and/or the parking brake not set? My parents never did that crap.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
Registered
2004 (w220) S500 & (R230) SL550 2007
651 Posts
So just completely remove the black plastic cam locking arm and reassemble?
I don't care 1 bit about the safety interlock. great posting seems to cover the entire procedure, just want to know ultimate objective is getting rid of one crappy piece of plastic !

·
Registered
97-SL600, 01-S600, 00-E3204matic, '06 SL55
110 Posts
I had the shifter lock while backing out of a parking place and got stuck in the middle of the driveway for HOURS..! My '01 S600 is a cornucopia of issues.. breaking yards don't even want these cars.. why..? an overabundance of that series of S class mercedes.. both cars drive like dreams but the tension of waiting for that red "STOP NOW, service immediately" message to appear at 1 AM on a rainy georgia night in the boonies will go with the cars.. :)
this is why i am now divesting my mercedes cars.. sold my low mileage '97 SL600, will get rid of the '01 S600, will sell off my '06 SL55 and let my wife keep her '04 E500 4matic wagon until it goes tango-uniform.. my new daily driver is pictured below.. it is not as fast but i can fix anything with a 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 INCH wrench, a screwdriver and a pair of pliers..
meanwhile, the S600 & SL55 are available to anyone who can find me.. :cool:

·
W220 Moderator
7,230 Posts
I don't care 1 bit about the safety interlock.
Hi,

You will one day, when you're hopping out of the Car in a bit of a rush, you think you've engaged Park but it hasn't locked in, in that split second the Car does the off dragging you along with it and squashing you with it's Door as it hits a solid object, just like one of my W220's did to me !!

It took almost 9 months before the Soft Tissues in my lower Leg and Neck healed almost properly, and I was very very lucky .............

A little less gap between the Door and the Wall that it hit and it could easily have been a whole different story that I wouldn't be typing now !!

I'm sorry to have to say this but it boils my 'P' that there is a culture who just have to know best, cheap out, and bodge stuff, especially so a long standing Member like yourself, who has obviously been around Mercedes Cars for a fair old while ................

In this case there is a cheap enough aftermarket Aluminium replacement Pawl Kit, fit that and you'll never have a days trouble with a Shifter again :(

Rant Over ;)

·
Registered
97-SL600, 01-S600, 00-E3204matic, '06 SL55
110 Posts
i am of an age where cars had emergency brakes which were used in place of something now labeled as "P" aka park.. park..? what, a place with green trees and grass..? OH, sounds like a memorial park, aka graveyard.. which is where those who fail to use the brake AND put the transmission in low gear..
heh.. all you people who slap a cars auto transmission in "P" and expect it to STAY, like a good dog are in for a surprise as that same car rolls silently across the road into the trees.. :)
i grew up and learned how to drive in the early '50's.. in san francisco.. a city with hills that require some talent to drive with a manual transmission.. thats 1954 when a buick LOOKED like a buick.. not an amorphous lump of clay with wheels..
i yanked all the shift lock stuff out of my S600 and consigned it to the junk box.. cars today try to keep fools from killing themselves and others.. which would be a good thing if the fools DID kill themselves off.. darwinism its called.. they would be unlikely, i say UNLIKELY, to vote from the grave unless they're democrat party members..
MY small rant is now finished until some other cheap plastic part on one of my remaining mercedes cars breaks from age related dementia and leaves me in an oil bath or at the side of a road someplace waiting for a tow truck in the rain..
my first mercedes wass a '70 280SL, second was a 280SE 3.5 kab, third was an early '73 350/450SL.. those cars are now in car collections because they WERE cars and not a nanny with wheels.. :)

Reactions: dlank74

·
W220 Moderator
7,230 Posts
Dinosaurs spring to mind, as do Horses and Water.

My first Car had Cross Ply Tyres and Drum Brakes .................

Don't mean I'd use 'em today :(

And goddam if you knew me you would know very well I hate the Nanny State culture with a passion ...........

But to use that old chestnut as an excuse to avoid a few $$ Shifter Pawl fix, nah mate that's just proper wrong !!

·
Premium Member
2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
412 Posts
Well....now it's my turn to go through this repair. Yay. The shifter almost got stuck after backing up the car to reposition it on the driveway.
Today I'll pull it apart and remove the offending plastic piece. I'll order a replacement aluminum one after I've verified exactly what's needed within my unit.
Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,022 Posts
It's not hard to do, just a little tedious. First time took me a couple of hours.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
After checking with SDS, it showed the gear selector was in N, but the physical transmission valve was in R.
Huh? How could that have happened just from my disconnecting the interlock cable (and nothing else)?

So I pulled the shifter box out only to discover the linkage rod between the gear selector and transmission had fallen off! Go figure! No bushing on it either.
I guess that's what I felt, making me think it was the plastic lock lever inside.

Picked up two new business this morning and will go ahead with disassembling the gear selector box today.

By the way, what is this pin for?

·
W220 Moderator
7,230 Posts
By the way, what is this pin for?
As it is a Theft relevant component, that pin stops you removing the Shifter Bolt without being able to take it outta Park with the correct Ignition Key...................

Now that dumb arsed PITA part I do leave out when I rebuild the Shifters ;)

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
As it is a Theft relevant component, that pin stops you removing the Shifter Bolt without being able to take it outta Park with the correct Ignition Key...................

Now that dumb arsed PITA part I do leave out when I rebuild the Shifters ;)
Thanks Dave. I, too, left that part out when I resembled everything. Actually, I left out the entire lockout pieces (just for now) until I get a replacement aluminum lock lever. I also left off the metal cover, the one held on with two rivets.

I discovered BOTH ends of the shift rod going to the transmission do not have a bushing. A rather disgusting find since TWO high-end Indi shops worked on this car and neither discovered this issue. One flushed the transmission fluid and replaced the electrical wiring harness connector, the other performed a pre and post purchase inspection. From day one I've always felt the gear selector felt and sounded a little rattly.

Tonight I got both bushings installed and of what a difference that makes! Not only does the shifter sound and feel more solid, the car no longer tells me to "move the selector to park" when it's already been put in park!
It makes sense, tho, when each bushing adds a LOT of slack to the linkage when they're missing!

If any of you guys (or gals) are seeing the message to "move selector to park" when you've already done so, be sure to check the bushings on the transmission shift rod linkage.
The pair of them, basically a little rubber grommet, only cost $6.00 from the stealership.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Here's a few photos to help others.
This side plate easily pulls off to give better access to the innards.

This gif showes how the lock mechanism moves. There are two levers. Remove both to if you do not want the lock feature.

With the retaining clip removed, each lever should side off (or on) very easily.

Here's how things look after the two lock lever have been removed.

141 - 160 of 162 Posts