Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
If you have anything constructive to say, say it. I have only read 2 of your posts, and will skip reading any more. All you have done in them is try to run others down without offering anything valuable or increasing anyone's knowledge base.

We can do well without that; and if it's all you have to offer, we can do quite well without you.
Well said and I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
2000 S500
24 Posts
Can anyone confirm these instructions are applicable to a '00 S500? My car is parked in the garage and doesn't seem to want to come out. ;)

Is Monoglobal the only place to get the part? Nothing against Aussie's, but I think it would be faster to get from US?

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
Can anyone confirm these instructions are applicable to a '00 S500? My car is parked in the garage and doesn't seem to want to come out. ;)

Is Monoglobal the only place to get the part? Nothing against Aussie's, but I think it would be faster to get from US?
While I'm not that familiar with S models, this forum covers S models from 2000 to 2006 so I would assume these instructions would apply. I have a 2002 CL500 and MB has a shop manual in DVD for this model CL which together with this thread helped me do the job. Call MB at 1-800-for-merc and see if they have one for your car. It's called STAR Service Manual Library which is a much more user friendly version of the MB WIS system used by MB stealers. It is excellent. It will not, however, show you how to dissemble the shifter for the broken part removal. Actually, as I'm reading from the DVD now, it does cover model 220 (S class) along with the 215 (CL class). MB part # is P-2700-220/215-07. It runs under $100 or you can do what I did and purchase a copy of it on Ebay for less.

As for the part, I don't know where else to get it. I just reinstalled my shifter w/o it. But if you have kids, this is probably not a good idea. You could also purchase the shifter itself for under $500 from one of the MB discount part suppliers and the job would go much quicker. I don't think MB sells the broken part as I was told by my stealer that they just replace the shifter to repair this "stuck in park" condition.

BTW, this is not a difficult job. If you decide to do it, just take your time, take pics of anything you're not sure how to put back together, and don't force anything, especially plastic parts. Also, be sure to label all wires as you remove them.

·
Registered
2000 S500
24 Posts
I took my shifter out and apart today following these directions. It is pretty much identical until you get to taking the shifter apart. Fortunately, my unit didn't have any rivets as described above. I did need a 2.5 and 3 mm allen wrenches and a T10 torx screwdriver. My broken lever arm is held in place with a pushed in pin (I forget the more technical term). I had to use a punch and hammer to tap it out. It didn't take a lot of force to get it to move.

As mentioned above, I would also highly advise you start with removing the shaft from the transmission. Though it isn't really hard once you know how to release the clip to get the shaft out, it is the first time you do it. I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out which way to push on it (correctly). For me, it took both hands. I had a long skinny screwdriver in one hand pushing vertically upward on the clip and had another long tool (screwdriver, pliers, etc.) in the other hand I used to push (using leverage) on the shaft while applying vertically upward pressure on the clip.

I put everything back together for now. I'm going to use the shifter w/out the lever arm until I can decide where I'm going to buy the replacement. It is a little discomforting as to how easy it shifts into gear while running or not. If this was my car, I might leave it as is, but with wife and kids, I don't think it is the safest thing to do (for very long).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone,

We are a high performance shop in Scottsdale, Arizona. We have the same problem that all of you have on a 2004 S600.
I have a fix for this problem in the form of a replacement part. That means you would throw away the plastic part and install this new part (which we would guarantee for life!) and it would work just like factory. No worries about the shifter going into gear without your foot on the pedal.
This part would fit on any "S" model from 2000 to 2006
We are just trying to gauge how many people would be interested in this part. We don't have a definite cost yet, but can have one in short order.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 ML 350 & 2005 CLK320
24 Posts
My 2004 S500 4matic is also stuck in park. I changed the brake light switch and still stuck, so im assuming its that black piece. It was getting stuck in park but after a few nudges it would move, but i guess its really broken now. Im just nervous about drilling the rivets. I do a lot of fixes myself but im nervous the drill will slip or something. I wish there was another way!

·
Registered
2004 ML 350 & 2005 CLK320
24 Posts
If anyone knows of a mechanic around the Long Island NY area who could remove the black piece from the shifter for around 75-100 bucks please message me or email at dalangi at aol dot com

Thanks

Angela

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got stuck in park today. Temporary solution is :
1. Start the car
2. Press the brake pedal
3. Pull the shifter with left hand
4. In the same time HIT HARD top of the shifter with right hand
Shifter will slide from park.
If you can hit hard enough use big rubber hammer (4.99 in ACE Hardware) and cover top of shifter with some cloth. Don't be scared. Hit Hard.
Working 100 %. Now you can move your MB. Use neutral and parking brake until you fix the problem.
My mechanic estimate $ 1600.00 for new shifter and labor.( S600 2002).
I'l tray do it on my own.
THANKS for great Posting

·
Registered
'02 CL500
376 Posts
I got stuck in park today. Temporary solution is :
1. Start the car
2. Press the brake pedal
3. Pull the shifter with left hand
4. In the same time HIT HARD top of the shifter with right hand
Shifter will slide from park.
If you can hit hard enough use big rubber hammer (4.99 in ACE Hardware) and cover top of shifter with some cloth. Don't be scared. Hit Hard.
Working 100 %. Now you can move your MB. Use neutral and parking brake until you fix the problem.
My mechanic estimate $ 1600.00 for new shifter and labor.( S600 2002).
I'l tray do it on my own.
THANKS for great Posting
Your mechanic is too high. My dealer quoted less than $1100 including a new shifter module, which BTW, you don't need. If a shifter is installed, it has to be programmed and to make matters worse, it will lock in park again sometime in the future.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2004 S500 4matic is also stuck in park. I changed the brake light switch and still stuck, so im assuming its that black piece. It was getting stuck in park but after a few nudges it would move, but i guess its really broken now. Im just nervous about drilling the rivets. I do a lot of fixes myself but im nervous the drill will slip or something. I wish there was another way!
Don't worry about the drill slipping. Just use a drill bit that is slightly larger than the small hole on top of the rivet (usually it's an 1/8" drill bit). That hole will guide the drill bit and not allow it to slip. Just take your time.

Here are some directions for removal of the shifter. It wont let me copy the picture with the numbers, but if you give me your email address, I can send it that way. Hope it helps.

2003 Mercedes Benz S 600 (220.176) V12-5.5L Turbo (275.950)
Vehicle Level Transmission and Drivetrain Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Shifter A/T Service and Repair AR27.60-P-0901R Remove/Install Electronic Selector Lever Module (ESM)

AR27.60-P-0901R Remove/Install Electronic Selector Lever Module (ESM)

Removing and installing electronic selector lever module (ESM)
- with transmission 722.6

Remove/install

Danger:

Lethal injuries are possible if vehicle slips off of lifting platform
Align vehicle between the columns of the lifting platform and position the four support plates at the lifting platform support points specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
NOTE:

The vehicle must be horizontal
Park vehicle on two-/four-column lift platform or over inspection pit.
CAUTION: Installation: Replace self-locking nuts and bolts.

1 Move selector lever into position "R"
2 Turn key in electronic ignition lock EIS into position "O".

NOTE: Key cannot be withdrawn.

3.1 Remove shift rod

Model 230
3.2 Detach shift rod at intermediate lever
4.1 Remove cover at selector lever

Model 230
4.2 Remove center console

Model 215
Model 220
5 Remove air duct for center rear compartment air nozzle

Models 215, 220
NOTE: Not if rear air conditioning (code 582) fitted.

6 Unscrew bolts (41)

Model 230
7 Unscrew hexagon socket bolts (40)

NOTE: Model 230: Use hexagon socket wrench with ball head.

8 Disconnect electric couplings at electronic selector lever module (N15/5)
9 Release ignition lock cable (1) at connection fitting of ignition lock cable (2)

Raise locking catch (1b) and push connector (1c) against force of spring into electronic selector lever module (N15/5), turn 90 degrees to the left or right and pull off ignition lock cable (1).
10 Take out electronic selector lever module (N15/5)

NOTE: Model 230: Raise center console at rear.

CAUTION: Installation: Do not jam any electric cables in between.

11 Install in the reverse order

NOTE: After installing, erase fault codes with STAR DIAGNOSIS.

12 Perform function check

If result is negative: Set shift rod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did it today.
Thanks for great posting from kerno i fix my shifter in less then one hr.
My S600 2002 got little-bit different configurations. No needs to remove any rivets and no need to remove transmission connector. All job done in side the car.
I'm so happy today.

·
Registered
C180,S280,380SE
7 Posts
Kerno,
What a fantastic write up. Did mine today and it was a superb instructive peice. A thousand thanks for your effort.
Reesy

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the plastic part fails, the metal lever does not move and neither do you. Again, my fix involved defeating the brake/shift interlock. I removed both the black plastic lever, the retaining ring that hold it in place, the metal lever that it actuates and the spring that helps move the metal lever.

Now, remove the cover and side panel and set them aside. You can now remove the black plastic lever. When you do, the metal lever just beyond it is spring loaded and will move up and lock the shifter, since it is the black plastic lever's job to push it down to unlock the shifter. Here's a shot of the metal lever and the e-ring that holds it in place:

Remove the e-ring, the lever and the fine wire spring that activates the metal lever. I assume you've already removed the black plastic lever and thrown it as far as you can. One poster said his shifter worked fine with the metal lever left in, but I'd be afraid that that since it is the actual "lock it in park" lever, I'd rather remove it than take a chance on it latching and leaving me stuck in park all over again

This seemd like a perfect DIY yourself but it seems the metal lever also controls the downshift lever mode or slap shift.. I was concerned about removing the metal lever but this DIY read so good, that it convinced..

Now I do not have the downshift ability on my shifter or slap shift .. That metal lever controls that mode somehow and the littlew spring.. Almost saved a bunch a money but back to the dealer to buy a 500 dollar shifter and and re-do the whole job..

·
Registered
C180,S280,380SE
7 Posts
stuck in park

Hi,

I did mine and removed both the plastic and metal part, the tiptronic shift still works on my S 280.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, great forum and great community on here!

I've had the shift lock problem for a week now and it finally bit me in the A$$. Yesterday I went to start the car (02 S430) and it would not start crank or anything. I know it wasn't the battery since all of the lights and horn worked. I turned the ignition to the "on" position to see if it would shift into neutral and start there. After forcing it for a while I got it to shift out of park but totally missed neutral and ended up in "Drive."

The problem is now the car won't shift out of drive and obviously I cannot start it :( Also I noticed that the guage cluster reads that the car is in drive but the tiptronic features dont work, aka i move the shifter side to side and it still reads "S D".

My question is, do you guys think the not starting issues is related to the parklock or am I dealing with something different altogether. I drove the car several hours prior with the only problem being the shift lock. I am planning to tackle the shift problem later on this week but want an idea of what else I have in store for me. My car is currently sitting in my driveway, in drive with the keys in the ignition grrrrrrr:mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am currently experiencing the dread of this piece of plastic junk in a critical part of an expensive vehicle. I too am faced with replacing the entire selector for $900 plus programming it and shop hours...Ridiculous...

·
Registered
98 Ml320
152 Posts
I am currently experiencing the dread of this piece of plastic junk in a critical part of an expensive vehicle. I too am faced with replacing the entire selector for $900 plus programming it and shop hours...Ridiculous...
If you're handy with tools and have time and patience you could replace the broken shift level in a matter of 2 hours. The unforunate part is that I had to remove the shifter before I coud order the replacement lever. This is due to a measurement you need to have before ordering from monoglobal. It took only a couple hours total to fix but the car was out of service for 2 weeks. Total cost was about $175.

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140, e55 2k
1,697 Posts
Hi it happened to me yesterday also(stuck in park) . I killed the engine and started it again and it's free. Got the diagnostics and the problem on the shifter says that it's stored not current. Question? Is this just a glitch on the computer( like an error that can happen sometimes) or is this an indicator that I nearing a problem on the shifter assembly? Btw I erased the fault on the stored and the system was able to delete it. Thanks

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140, e55 2k
1,697 Posts
anyone?

21 - 40 of 162 Posts