Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL w 5OO SEL block, 2005 SL500, 2011 C300
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue started a couple of years ago. I read somewhere, on this siteI believe, that there’s a plastic collar or part, attached to the linkage that will crack and break apart which causes the shifter to get hung up going into Park. You have to take your foot off the brake to allow the linkage to flex a bit and then it goes into Park.
Ive also discovered that downshifting is no longer possible. So whatever the part is it causes both of these issues.
This is going to be a lot of labor to remove the center console to get at the linkage. And I’ve read that the part itself is rather inexpensive.
Has anyone done this job?

·
Registered
2003 SL55 AMG, 2000 CLK320, 2013 E350
13 Posts
When you say won’t down shift you mean stuck in park? This is a common problem. If you do a search for DIY shifter repair there is a nice write up by richrider on how to repair this common problem. I repaired mine but it takes the right tools and patience and can save you hundreds of dollars by doing it yourself, otherwise the dealer most likely replaces the entire shifter unit, not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL w 5OO SEL block, 2005 SL500, 2011 C300
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was referring to downshifting to a lower gear while driving. I will check out the article you referenced. Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 SL55 AMG, 2000 CLK320, 2013 E350
13 Posts
Ok I see, so there are 3 shift mode settings, W(winter), S(sport) and M (manual), in order to downshift or upshift using the bump shifter or shift buttons on the steering wheel your transmission setting mode must be in M. While in M or manual does both the button shift and bump shift work shifting up and down? Reason why I ask is I have an issue with my bump shift not wanting to down shift but it will up shift and my button shift will work for both up and down. The down shift using the bump stop working when I replaced the internal park shift lever because the plastic one broke. Not sure what I did but there is a switch that the bump shift activates for downshifts, there is 2 wire single plug that connects to this switch. I believe I somehow broke the wire or I damaged the actual switch when I disassembled my shifting unit to repair the lever. Since my button shifter works I didn’t want take out the shifter module again and I don’t use the bump shift anyway. I do plan on repairing this by changing out the switch from my older shifter that was replaced on my other Mercedes by the dealer. I just hope the switch is interchangeable, I just cringe taking everything apart again. Anyway, this may be your problem. I checked with my mercedes dealer and this is not a part that you can buy, luckily I may have a usable spare.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts