Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 E500 4Matic AWD
Hello all. New to the forum and wanted to ask about the shifter indicator light.
Is it supposed to stay on all the time?
Mine does, it never goes out. It's a reddish orange light adjacent to the "P" on the shifter console (see example of attached pic for location of the indicator light).

I've removed the key, closed all doors, and locked it. I do not reopen any door nor do I press buttons on the key fob. After a brief time, all the interior lights go out except this indicator light. To the best of my knowledge the various systems go to sleep.
Except -
I am experiencing the cursed "dead battery syndrom" usually within 24 hours of the car sitting.
New alternator, aux battery, and main battery. The BCM is up to date as well (A2115 40 86 45) as far as I know.
Wondering if there's any connection with the shifter indicator light and dead battery issue?
Are there issues with the CAN, SAM ?
Thanks in advance for any relevant input, advice, or fixes.
JMac

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 E300 4Matic
146 Posts
It shouldn't be on all the time, but I doubt this is what is causing the battery to drain in 24 hours, because it is a very low amperage LED. Did you make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I actually discovered a faulty relay and upon removing that relay, the indicator light went out which tells me whatever circuits are on that relay was staying powered all the time hence the indicator light staying on and battery drain and dead battery the next day.
To confirm this, I left the relay out overnight. No dead battery.
I also tested the relay by putting 12v on the relay - no clicky clicky. Also checked continuity - not good. Checked continuity with 12v on it too - no good.
Pick up new relay tomorrow.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
641 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I actually discovered a faulty relay and upon removing that relay, the indicator light went out which tells me whatever circuits are on that relay was staying powered all the time hence the indicator light staying on and battery drain and dead battery the next day.
To confirm this, I left the relay out overnight. No dead battery.
I also tested the relay by putting 12v on the relay - no clicky clicky. Also checked continuity - not good. Checked continuity with 12v on it too - no good.
Pick up new relay tomorrow.
Which relay was this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Relay P circuit 15r. Not sure what's connected to this circuit but it corrected the indicator light problem and the dead battery issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts