Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2004 CL500 to an indie shop to fix an ABC problem and it also would not start. They took care of that but while there they noticed there was a problem with the shifter. I had lived with this problem for 9 years and while it was annoying I knew how to get around it. Sometimes the car would start on Park and sometimes it would not. The workaround was to shift it into Drive turn the key and simultaneously move the shifter into Neutral and all was fine.
The shop decided to "fix" the shifter t getting a new one at their expense. The car would not start. Then they used the shifter from one of their cars. The car would not start. They went back to the shifter that was in the car. They thought the electrics in the shifter was not communicating with the ECU therefore it would not start. Then they got some electronic guru to see if he could figure it out. Well he didn't. It has been over 6 weeks and I don't have my car back.
Does anyone have any idea what could be happening here. I need my car back and running desperately.
Thank you for your comments.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
23,519 Posts
I am not 100% certain, but if it's like the R230 SL, the shifter is SCN-coded, meaning it has the car VIN embedded in it as an anti-theft measure and you can't swap in used parts without first having the donor part properly cleared of its SCN coding and then use SDS with a live connection to MBZ to download and install the SCN code for your car.

·
23,519 Posts
SCN = Software Calibration Number. This is a process where the car's VIN is embedded into the firmware of an electronic part to prevent theft (both of the car and the part).

SDS = Star Diagnosis System, a.k.a. "Star", Xentry or DAS. This is MBZ's official shop tool computer system that authorized dealers and high-end independent shops use to diagnose and code the car's electronic systems. It can also be purchased from Chinese hackers at a fairly reasonable price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCN = Software Calibration Number. This is a process where the car's VIN is embedded into the firmware of an electronic part to prevent theft (both of the car and the part).

SDS = Star Diagnosis System, a.k.a. "Star", Xentry or DAS. This is MBZ's official shop tool computer system that authorized dealers and high-end independent shops use to diagnose and code the car's electronic systems. It can also be purchased from Chinese hackers at a fairly reasonable price.
Rodney if you have a shifter that has been "cleaned" and is then reinstalled will the cars ecu populate the shifter with the right information such as the car's vin?

·
23,519 Posts
No, that information has to be coded via SDS. And the coding has to come from MBZ corporate. A dealer's licensed SDS computer is connected to The Internet and can be logged-into MBZ corporate's serer to download that coding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts