Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a write up on what I did to cover my worn down wood panels.. I felt they looked a bit to grampa style for my liking.

In case anyone wants to do the same what I did was pop off the panels, sand down a small layer, lay some glue then cover with the leather. After everything dried I trimmed and contoured with a razor blade and the dremel tool for fine detailing. I didn't do a perfect job, I'm not quite satisfied so I'll probably redo it someday and try to get it super clean. One thing you may want to avoid is spray adheisive, that stuff is junk,, I paid 15$ for a can and the leather peeled off after 1 day.. the stuff just wont hold in the heat. I recommend this glue, hard as a rock:

http://www.weldbondusa.com/

Overall I find it looks much better than the stock wood pieces, judge for yerself, let me know what you all think, I got the leather at the fagy village aka fabricville lol :p

- http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1222/picture009n.jpg

- ImageShack - Image Hosting :: picture003k.jpg

- ImageShack - Image Hosting :: picture007f.jpg

My next goal is to replace this dirty carpet with the same leather:

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: picture010wpd.jpg

After that carpet is done I will be doing the back panel just above the back seats, I need to use fiberglass to delete the medical (stash) box.. you can see I already put leather on it and it looks good just it started peeling in the sun. If I use the weldbond glue it will stick for sure.

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: picture011z.jpg

Cheers :D

·
Registered
1989 560 EUROSEL 1984 190e8V 2000 e320 sport
737 Posts
good read great job

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
911 Posts
How about this:D
Goes nice with the tan interior:p then I peeled off the top vents parts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
No, it is contact adhesive plastic sheets (comes in rolls... The Home Depot stuff) I gave it a shot for color matching, the intention is to sand and stain with lighter color... Tired of carbon fibre, burlwood and zebrano

·
190E, SLK350
66,979 Posts
You're serious?
Why didn't you paint it yellow neon while you were at it? Al aama ma abchaaha LOL

·
Registered
1987 190e 2.3 / 2008 E350 4Matic Sedan / 2004 M3
739 Posts
No, it is contact adhesive plastic sheets (comes in rolls... The Home Depot stuff) I gave it a shot for color matching, the intention is to sand and stain with lighter color... Tired of carbon fibre, burlwood and zebrano
You should do a DIY, it looks nice :D

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
You're serious?
Why didn't you paint it yellow neon while you were at it? Al aama ma abchaaha LOL
Well, as long as I don't have stalling issues:p and my side vents are blowing spring breeze or warm summer night air and as required:rolleyes:, I though about playing around a bit...Actually, I'm thinking of installing a bamboo stick instead of the shifter knob :D:D:D it will go in wonderful rhythm with the sahara colors I'm picking for my wood trim:thumbsup:

Tislamlee aynak Drew wo t'imur amr... I'll take them off once I have the car back from the body shop

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well well, this thread is back from the dead! haha :cool:

Anyone who is thinking of re-covering should go for it! Overall its pretty easy and looks much better than the grampa style faded wood. Only thing I've seen that looks better than the leather was one dude from England really went all out on his console/dash/shifter pieces.. they looked amazing.. show car quality! I wish I could find that post! it was last month maybe on the rev.

·
Registered
1987 190e 2̶.̶0̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c&#822
75 Posts
well what about aluminum
just an idea maybe i will do it

suggestion :confused:

amir

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Srpcao,

Don't expect good durability against scratches as the material is not that hard and I used it, as I mentioned before, for color matching purposes. What is really recomended is Arborite as it is harder a bit. You can ask for samples using this company link; (6"x9") sampleas will be big enough for the shifter console

Arborite - Home

Also, per your request, I attached pics for the material I used (WalMart nd Home Depot sells them)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
raed_jan

Thanks for posting your interior work, it looks really nice, really brightens up the car as a whole. How uch prep work did you put into it? I know you said you sanded, but what else would you do to prepare it? Also, can you expect to never be able to change to something else after going this route?

What I mean is - say you got bored or wanted another change to the trim, would you still be able to use the pieces you have or would you have to scour around for new pieces to start over?

PS. I am looking to change to knob on my shifter. I have a 1993 290e 2.3L which is automatic, and the shifter looks bland and boring. I was looking to get a nicer one with a good grip and maybe an MB logo on it. I tried turning the knob to unscrew it but that didn't feel like how it was suppose to come off. How does it come off, and where should I look to buying a new shifter/knob shifter?

Thanks, and great looking work.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hooj,

As I said, the material it self is self-adhesive so sanding was not required and actually, sanding will make the material barely adhere to the wood trim. To be honest, prep work was "Zero" and all you have to do is apply the self adhesive sheet and them trim the holes with a razor blade (split in half). There'll be no harm whatsoever for the wood trim, so I f don't like what you did, you can take it off and voila, the good ole' zebrano

If I'm going to stick to my application, and for anti-scratch protection, I will add a layer of 3M Self Adhesive transparent film (the hood front stuff, as I'm going to apply it on the hood once I get the car back from the body shop....fresh paint...mmmmmm ooh laa laa)

Also I'm waiting for the "Arborite" material to apply and see how it looks and I'll post my findings with pics of the results

For the shifter knob, IIRC, all W201s are non removable (plastic molded on SS shifter) and I would check e-bay for after market stuff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey raed_jan...

Self adhesive sounds pretty good if you want a quick fix to a boring interior. I will take a look at what Home Depot has and maybe look into it. I actually REALLY like the Arborite material, and asked to get a sample of the matalic material instead of a grain - it looks much nicer and is very neutral - looks easy as hell to clean too.

http://www.arborite.com/collection/en/sampleinfo.asp?ID=24&idProduct=45

It does seem pretty easy to put in considering it's all snapped in here and there with very little in terms of screws to take out and such. I'm going to start witht he shifter area if I get a sample, and if it looks good then I'll go as far as the wind takes me. Curious to know how much a sheet of this stuff costs....

As for the shifter, that sucks. From what I saw on some pictures on the site, it looks like you have to change the entire stick and not just the knob on the top. Boo!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
To tell you the truth, I'm thinking of getting a stock W201 shifter from the JY, and shave the plastic knob outand clean the steel head by overheating with a torch then fit a leather E or C class knob on it.... the problem is, tan leather knobs are either rare or maybe non existent

1 - 20 of 26 Posts