Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i need some advise ☹. I have been following G-AMG's DIY pictorial on how to install a new shifter bushing for the linkage arm (the one closer to the transmission). My car is 2000 W210 4-matic and its gear selector doesn't have gears 1,2,3. Instead the console simply has -D+. Anyway, i tried the D position but P seems to provide the most access. Things are really tight. I even bought the special installation tool and took off the transmission brace as well as the transmission mount to provide more access. Yet I'm still unable to position the tool over the selector arm. The attached picture shows the selector arm (red arrow). The yellow arrow are the thick insulation on the left and the transmission housing on the right. They are directly in the way of the tool and causing access problems. I also noticed that the selector arm seems to be attached to the transmission body via some sort of bolt (blue arrow). Not sure if that is the key to this puzzle or not. Perhaps i can take offthe selector arm off the transmission body install the bushing and reattach? (not sure if that is correct or not). Anyway i'm out of ideas and hate to take it to dealer. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Only way to get selector arm out it to loosen bolt 20. See diagram.

Find a socket with opening big enough to receive the bushing. Wedge it between transmission housing and selector arm. Using pry bar push new bushing in place.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the schematic. I tried your suggestion but there was simply no way i could get behind the selector with a pry bar and a socket. Not enough space. Anyway, someone in G-AMG's DIY thread had mentioned cutting the dang thing. I didn't want to go that route but it was that or a visit to the dealership. I made two 45 degree cuts about 1/8" apart. I was able to install it with hand. One of the most frustrating DIYs ever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts