Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't move the shift lever out of park. Yesterday neighbor started his sprinklers, my windows open, cabin of my 2000 ML 320 became very wet including both seats which mean area around gear shift lever. Day before I felt a little click when applying brakes. Any connection there? I always back in, rarley use the emergency brake. Any suggestions?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,579 Posts
Turn the key to on, step on the brake and see if your brake lights come on. If they don't, then the problem is with the brake light switch.

If the brakes lights work, then check fuses #16 and 22, they supply power to the Selector Control Module under the console.

·
Registered
2005 ML350SE
421 Posts
Ouch! Not a good situation. The shifter assem is very very fragile when it comes to water.

The cost is around $1000 at the dealer to get the new shifter assem installed.

To all, remove center cup holder ASAP. Any slippage will ruin the shifter and its not covered under warranty.

It will throw a whole bunch of weird lights as well.

·
C9H9N Offensive Odor Exuder
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,382 Posts
I agree with Joe. Your neighbor's sprinklers may have cost you a bundle. I've heard of the same thing happening with spilling drinks or leaving the sunroof open in the rain. I hope that your fuses just blew from the water short. As 43sqd suggested, try that first. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vehicle wont shift out of 1st.

Thanks. I did replace the brake light switch ($14.00) and I can now move out of Park, but it feels funny. Now to shut the vehicle down I need to place the lever to N, then turn off engine, remove key, then shift to park. However, I now have (I think from the first) the problem of gear position light on dash is blank, lighted but no number or character. But, worst of all the vehicle will not shift out of low and I can not manually shift up or down by slapping the shift leaver. All fuses appear to be OK including 16 and 22.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,579 Posts
I think it's time to remove the console and then remove the shifter mechanism. Blow it out with canned air or shop air, then leave it out in the sun. Reattach and see what gives. The longer you wait to do this the worse off you will be. Do this with the neg. battery cable removed. Don't replace the console until you are satisfied either way. The last thing you want to do is buy one of these things, so try everything first.

·
C9H9N Offensive Odor Exuder
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,382 Posts
I think it's time to remove the console and then remove the shifter mechanism. Blow it out with canned air or shop air, then leave it out in the sun. Reattach and see what gives. The longer you wait to do this the worse off you will be. Do this with the neg. battery cable removed. Don't replace the console until you are satisfied either way. The last thing you want to do is buy one of these things, so try everything first.
I once put a wet solid state DC drive board in the oven at 185º to dry it out. Worked like a charm. Not sure it would work with this.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
I once put a wet solid state DC drive board in the oven at 185º to dry it out. Worked like a charm. Not sure it would work with this.
Putting it in the oven.... hmmm... :)
cmitch, you do give lot of good advice, but this one is.... hmmm..... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wet shift lever circuit board

This problem started with the flooded cockpit caused by my neighbors sprinkler. I did as suggested with the exception of the circuit board cook-off in the oven. Finally took it in. Cost around $750. But thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
This problem started with the flooded cockpit caused by my neighbors sprinkler. I did as suggested with the exception of the circuit board cook-off in the oven. Finally took it in. Cost around $750. But thanks for all the help.
Send your neighbor the bill!!

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
In a flooded rice field?

·
Registered
'01 clk430 & '02 c320 & '99 bmw 540i
10 Posts
Send your neighbor the bill!!
Sprinkler worked as designed, car left unattended with windows open constitutes carelessness on the part of the owner, or at the very least contibutory negligence. No reasonably prudent person would inspect surroundings before operating the sprinkler, given that most if not all are on a timer anyway!

·
Registered
1999 ML430, 2009 ML350, 2010 ML550
225 Posts

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
9,288 Posts
Ipad malfunction or software shortcomings?

·
Registered
1999 ML430, 2009 ML350, 2010 ML550
225 Posts
My apologies that was a iPad malfunction. I'm still trying to get used to the app version, it's a little too easy to bump something and get yourself in trouble. My mistake, sorry everyone.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

1 - 16 of 16 Posts