Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

After completing the suspension rebuild and taking the car for a spin, I was really happy with the firmed-up handling and steering. It was great....

UNTIL....

I got home, was about to parallel-park in my usual spot, and went to put the car from Drive into Reverse. Yep, came to a complete stop beforehand, like always. I went a little too far and went into Park. No problem, I thought, just go down a step into Reverse.

The transmission shifter felt rather lighter, and nothing was happening to go into Reverse.

So, I went all the way back down to Drive, and nothing again. Ultimately, apparently somehow I got it into Neutral, which is a good thing because I (with the engine still running) could just roll back into the parking spot. This is how I conclude that the car's now in Neutral. Once I got into the spot, I tried moving the shift lever again. Felt like it wasn't having any sort of effect, almost like it was physically disconnected somehow.

I turned off the engine and removed the key.

Just for fun, I wanted to see if I could start the engine. Nope, won't start.

Checking the Encyclopedia, I saw the posts regarding shift levers that won't move out of, say, Park, but this one does move. Also, when I move it, I see the dashboard display showing the correct positioning, i. e. when the shift lever is in "R", I see "R" on the dashboard readout indicator. But nothing else happens.

Ideas? Any of you have this happen before?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, the car is a 2000 S430.

·
Registered
2002 S 430
247 Posts
May be the linkage of the shifter to the connecting rod did get separated physically.
If it happened while the gear was in R or D, the engine does not start.
Go under the car and check the linkage at both ends.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,925 Posts
Shift lnkage has likely worn the bushing (A2109920010) out and lost the clip (A0009944360), you may find the clip close to where you lost the connection when you put the car in park.

Dean

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clip had come loose, but fortunately was still on the linkage. The blue plastic bushing was still there. Fortunately, once I figured out how this works, it was a very quick fix.

First, I bent the clip a little bit so that it would be sure to hold the linkage rod onto the shifter mechanism good 'n' tight.

Next, I put the shifter in Drive because that's the only way to get the linkage rod back on that shifter mechanism pin.

After that, I slid the linkage rod with the clip over the shifter mechanism pin and ensured that the clip went into the groove nice 'n' tight. Jiggled it around to make sure it was secure. Good to go.

And finally...I went for a little test drive and enjoyed the car. :)

Thanks, folks...again!

·
Premium Member
2003 SL500, 2012 E350 4Matic P2
840 Posts
Yes, good job.

Just to be clear, we are talking about the clip on the shifter box linkage? Did you reach it from the bottom or top.

Shifter Linkage.jpg

When I removed the shifter to disassemble and remove the park lock pawl, I did the entire job from the top.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was at the shifter box linkage, and I did it from the bottom. Had to temporarily remove one of the heat shields to get to it easily, but it really wasn't difficult. The key was to ensure that both the transmission and the shift lever are in Drive, otherwise it won't go together.

In case I ever have to deal with a "stuck" transmission in Park, which seems likely to eventually happen, I've also gotten the video for how to pull out the shifter box assembly.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Specifically, it was part #1 in your diagrams above. That clip.

·
Registered
1997 E320 , 2002 S500
8 Posts
I just thought I'd mention that I just did this repair on my 2002 S500. I went from the top and wish now that I had gone in from underneath. It was a $2.xx part at the dealer and given how many of them they stock and based on the comments of the dealer parts guy, it's a common failure - so much so that I'm surprised at how few mentions of it I'm finding on this forum. That's why I thought I'd post here and add on to it, thereby possibly making it easier to be found by someone else.

My specifics were that I started the car, put it in reverse (must have gone down to drive, and then back up), and it crept forward when I touched the gas. Same thing - proper gears indicated, but stuck in drive. Turned car off with intention of cycling through gears, somehow magically resetting everything. No start (because it was still in drive). I had to come back the next day with my trailer and winch and trailer it home.

I sort of thought that my shifter may have felt a tiny bit different for a few days leading up to this, but the difference was so small I wasn't sure if I was imagining it. In hindsight, the bushing must have been coming apart. Anyhow, it works now. It was just annoying to be stranded by a $2 part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, I know this thread is two years old, but I'm really hoping you guys are still around and can help me out. I have a 2004 CL55 AMG with the 722.6 transmission. I was driving to work the other day, started slowing down for a red light, when the transmission just let go. I coasted and pulled over, thinking my car was going to be puking fluid, but it wasn't.
I can move the shifter freely between gears, the indicator on the dash knows what gear I change to, but the car itself will just roll like its in neutral no matter what. Do you guys think it's likely that I broke that same little plastic bushing, even though I wasn't in the process of shifting when it happened?
One other thing to note, is that when I shift the shifter into park, it makes an awful noise for a minute and then it goes into park (still the car will roll anyway). Any insights would be really great! Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds like a different problem. I'd get under there and have a look just to eliminate the bushing, but that's probably not it. Have you checked the fluid in that transmission yet? Have you put it on STAR Diagnostic System?

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,544 Posts
Remember that there are two shift bushings - one on each end of the rod linking the floor lever with the transmission lever - and, oddly enough, they are different!

·
W220 Moderator
6,313 Posts
Diff, Driveshaft or Propshaft Failure !!

The noise you hear is the Trans Output shaft is spinning, and the Parking Pawl makes a ratcheting type noise as it is engaging !!

This proves that your Shifter is still connected, it proves that Drive is getting through the Transmission, but no Drive is getting to the Rear Wheels from the rotating Trans Output Shaft ;)

I'll bet that with Parking Brake off and Trans in P you can still move the Car with a push ?????????????????

·
Registered
8 Posts
That sounds like a different problem. I'd get under there and have a look just to eliminate the bushing, but that's probably not it. Have you checked the fluid in that transmission yet? Have you put it on STAR Diagnostic System?
Trans fluid was still full. I just pulled the car home with my truck and hooked up my code scanner (not a STAR scanner by any means) and pulled these two codes. P0420 and P0826. I know the first is either a cat or O2 sensor. I looked up P0826 and it doesnt seem to match what I'm experiencing.

Remember that there are two shift bushings - one on each end of the rod linking the floor lever with the transmission lever - and, oddly enough, they are different!
I am REEEAAAALLY hoping its something that simple, but I don't often get that lucky.

Diff, Driveshaft or Propshaft Failure !!

The noise you hear is the Trans Output shaft is spinning, and the Parking Pawl makes a ratcheting type noise as it is engaging !!

This proves that your Shifter is still connected, it proves that Drive is getting through the Transmission, but no Drive is getting to the Rear Wheels from the rotating Trans Output Shaft ;)

I'll bet that with Parking Brake off and Trans in P you can still move the Car with a push ?????????????????
You're definitely right about pushing the car in Park. I checked the half shafts and they are fine. I couldnt get far enough under the car to check the driveshaft. But I've broken driveshafts, halfshafts, AND blown up a diff or two in my trucks over the years, and this didnt feel ANYthing like any of those, though I do agree my symptoms point to drivetrain failure.

The trickiest thing is that I live in Northern Utah and the car hibernates all winter anyway. So when this happened I just pushed the car on back to her den and put the cover on a week or two early. I might not have much of a chance to poke around and explore these options you guys have provided until spring.

I'll definitely pop back in here and post updates whenever I do get the chance. And if you guys think of anything else I should check, let me know.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welp... Dave was almost exactly right! Finally had a chance to get the car up in the air and here's what I found.

The output shaft nut backed itself completely off and allowed the yoke to pull back from the splines of the output shaft. Not sure yet how much damage the output shaft splines and especially the threads took. Gotta go get a torx T-60 to get the yoke separated from the driveshaft first. Crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath at this point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update. The output shaft is miraculously still fine!!! The output yoke/flange is another story. Check this out.

Anyone got any ideas where I can get a new one? Ive looked all over the internet and all I've come up with is a couple of the three-arm flanges that are used.

·
W220 Moderator
6,313 Posts
Go visit a Trans Rebuilder Shop, they chuck stuff like that in the bin when they strip an old unit for spares ;)

HTH,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts