Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 C300 6spd and i want to change the knob, im looking for something shorter. Can anyone tell me if there are any options out there for knobs or possibly a short throw shift kit ?

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did you ever find anything? I was planning on going to a shop to see if they can somehow make a custom short shifter.. But idk if itll be worth the money, its not like I go to track. But for shift knob I was thinking of getting a Momo, I know they come with adapters but the thing is our shifters don't have grooves and this becomes a big problem when we pull the shift knob up for reverse.. So I guess we have to stick with bland OEM style ones..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shift knob

I had a custom shift boot made at redlinegoods.com
Also I did find another shift knob, i ordered all black leather
With the AMG badge, check this site out

ForMyMercedes.com

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a custom shift boot made at redlinegoods.com
Also I did find another shift knob, i ordered all black leather
With the AMG badge, check this site out

ForMyMercedes.com
How did it work with redlinegoods? I saw them before and was thinking about it but did you have to send your OEM shift boot? and also how long did it take? Price doesn't matter as long as its reasonable and as long as it doesn't take a long time

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I had to send my oem boot, but it worked out good cause the site never made one for my car before so there deal is, they keep mine and send the new one for free since I was the first. They did a very good job, I got black leather with white stitching. Perfect match to oem and high quality material. I must say it was a pain to swap it to the plastic bracket the original one was attached to, you have to be very careful because mine actually cracked. It took about 5 weeks. But may take quicker for you since they already have a template of it. I'd say it'll run you about $40-50.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't clear tho, you won't have to send your oem boot, I only had to because they needed a template.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thats a good price and it looks nice now! nice clean look, not too flashy or anything. I need a shift boot for an 06 c230 sedan, not sure if yours is similiar. But the thing is I don't even have an OEM shift boot. Thats also why i need it in a smaller time frame than 4-5 weeks.. Got no shift boot at the moment. But i'll talk to them and see what they can do

Thanks for the help and enjoy the new shift boot! also:thumbsup: on manual transmission mercedes! not many of us out there

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me know how it all works out, and yeah manual trans all the way, I work for Mercedes and the manuals drive so much better than the autos, I wish more models came with the option it's a shame. Good luck with the boot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You work for MB? Do you know how much for 06 c230 sedan M/T shift knob/boot would be? My dealer is charging 350 im guessing it would be similiar. Yeah the manual transmissions are actually nice in MB. People say Honda has nice transmissions and are easy to learn on ( I myself am a big honda fan too) but the transmission on my car is definitely a lot better and smoother.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I work for Mercedes but I'm a detailer there so I'm not sure how much the boot would be. $350 sounds a bit much just for an oem boot. Make sure you tell them u need the boot only and not the knob, cause normally they come together.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a feeling it was high but I just thought because its a Benz :dunno: They said it comes one assembly and they can't give the boot seperately.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah that price would sound abut right than, everything Benz is pricy. Before I got my red line boot I custom made a bandanna one that actually looked pretty cool haha but idk of you have the same taste. I'd say all u can do u buy what they offer or see if anyone on the forum has one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think I'm just going to get a nice shift boot and see if I can tape it to the bottom of the console trim to make it stay haha. I was talking to someone on MBworld.org and he said he put some layers of masking time on the shifter rod and put the universal shift nobs with the screws and had no problems. Might go for that. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sounds like a good idea, I was thinking of possibly cutting my shift rod it's self and making it shorter but I don't know, it's kinda of risky. I would love to find a short throw kit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was thinking of cutting the shifter rod too but didn't want to mess it up, I just wanted to give it a nicer shorter look. But cutting the shifter rod doesn't give it shorter throws. It'll probably make it a little harder to shift since its shorter you'll need to apply more torque when shifting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah your right, well
Hopefully I can find someone to make a custom short throw.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You work for MB? Do you know how much for 06 c230 sedan M/T shift knob/boot would be? My dealer is charging 350 im guessing it would be similiar. Yeah the manual transmissions are actually nice in MB. People say Honda has nice transmissions and are easy to learn on ( I myself am a big honda fan too) but the transmission on my car is definitely a lot better and smoother.
I found a post of a guy with a 2002 c230 selling a manual shift boot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 27 Posts