Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 E320 and I want to change the shift lever. How do I get the cover off the shift gate box to gain access to the nut holding the shift lever in place. Does the cover (the top piece with the selector letters) just pop off with alot of pressure?

·
Registered
W124
5,152 Posts
The plastic surround pops off. To save your wood from damage, use a flat plastic device to pry it up at the four corners,

Once that is off, you will see what you are dealing with. If you want to remove the entire shifter assembly there are four bolts that need to come out. Don't overlook the small lamp that is inserted into the shifter housing; that needs to be unplugged if you want to remove the assembly.

Of course, you will have to remove the selector rod from the shifter by getting under the car and removing a clip that is on the rod.

If you remove the shifter you should take the opportunity to replace the plastic bushing that the selector rod connects to. They are $3.00 from Mercedes Benz and they do fail.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,744 Posts
I just did this on the Limited Edition 190 I sold a month or so ago. Aftermarket shift rod and knob had been installed and I put it all back to stock. The top piece is held in place with clips. Hard to describe, but study it carefully and you'll see what needs to be pried outward for the "cap" to come away. There is a 14mm nut that holds the lever in place. You can also look at the factory service manual link in our DIY sticky. Also, you can go to a pull yard and find a W124/W201 to make a dry run on.

After being registered as a member for 6 yrs, it's good to see you make your second post.

Good Luck

Jayare

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
I need to replace the bulb on mine , is it right there? Been afraid to pry off plastic, should knob be removed first ?
Knob is not removable as it is bonded to the shaft to make an assembly...

As Jayare indicated, gently pry/lift the black plastic trim from the wood console panel to release the tabs that secure it to the shifter assembly...

Try sliding a credit card under the edge to start lifting it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts