Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 SL 500 - 03 SLK 230 - 90 SEL
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2000 W210 wagon and a few months ago a neighbor spilled coffee down over the console and of course screwed up the shift module circuit board. I was lucky and washed it down with contact cleaner and dried it out and it is working now. (wonder how many are changed unnecessarily) Anyway, I am not sure how long it will last but I figure if I buy a new one I may try to modify something to avoid this again. I have a product that we use at work made by Wurth that is a clear spray coating for just that, electrical boards or contacts,wires or anything else. Just spray it on and it puts a thin transparent film over the board that can be peeled of like a bad sunburn. This would stop coffee or most anything from shorting out the board if some unfortunate soul was to be somewhat clumsy on an off day. My question to the forum is: Has anyone ever tried this stuff or something similar? Has anyone tried another method of protecting their inheritance from going to shifters? I really hope there will be some response on this. I don't have much luck with getting questions answered that are actually beneficial, there seems to be more time spent on " how fast will yur care go" or " Who has done the most mods" or similar threads. Not complaining, just sayin'

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
I can see an spray of this type would be very effective against moisture, but, how this product would behave in direct contact with liquids (i.e crack)? Spraying this type of product, may limit you in the future to simply clean the board and have it functional again since if you have another accident, and can not remove that clear coat 100%, then moisture may trap in some corners and you end up to replace the board instead of simply cleaning. As I have not used this product, you will be the judge...

·
Registered
2001 E320 wagon
733 Posts
Has anyone ever tried this stuff or something similar? Has anyone tried another method of protecting their inheritance from going to shifters? I really hope there will be some response on this. '
a good thought that finally got my brain working again.
I have built more than my fair share of megasquirt fuel injection control boards. I use mine for racing or off road stuff so need them to be water resistant and vibration resistant as the components are exposed on the board.
Once the board is soldered up you wash with hot water and soap and then rinse several times with 100% alcohol and dry the board in the oven at 150 when your wife is out shopping. then you spray with a conformal coating. I generally use acrylic coatings as you can solder through them to fix problems and then respray. However they do sell a silicone conformal coating which is supposed to be almost water tolerant. I have only tried it a few times as you cannot solder through it and the acrylic conformal coating is more than water resistant enough for me.
I will pull my shifter board this winter and put a coating of the silicone conformal coating on it. It sure as hell cant hurt as thats what its made for and may well save the board. here is a website selling the silicone one
Techspray 2106-12S | Conformal Coatings

for those interested the conversion of my euro mercedes 107 is at
Converting a 1974 450sl to Megasquirt
and I have included some pics here
great idea, thanks for joggling my mind, I should have thought of it sooner myself:D
cheers
Barri

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The product is called State Off Guard (EDIT). I have used this on other things and I don't think there would be a chance of liquid getting under it, unless of course you do a poor job of coating the board. It will peel off like the face of an actress at bedtime so even if it was compromised simply "peel and dry" It dries completely clear and you cant even see it. I don't know but I think it would be a very good solution to this problem and I an thinking that I will be spraying mine. It says right on the can " for protecting circuit boards"

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I edited the above post, I had the product name wrong, It is a State Chemical product called "Off Guard". I read the can and it says, and I quote "protects circuits and boards from moisture even when submerged" also "easily removable" "high dielectric properties"
Seems like the answer to me. I am going to use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts